5.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies - had to buy another!
Having been captivated by Strangers and Pilgrims, I naturally felt inclined to read the next offering from Vivienne Tuffnell, Away with the Fairies. Different, but no less captivating, the tale of Isabel's own struggle with her art is explored in Tuffnell's careful and conscientious writing: imaginative, thought-provoking, and occasionally challenging - a real pleasure to...
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by HTK

3.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies
This book was quite interesting, however I felt that at times it was rather laboured. The ending was unexpected though , so overall it was quite enjoyable.
Published 16 months ago by Dancer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, Loved It, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Oh I haven't enjoyed a novel so much in many years. Compelling reading and so beautifully evocative. Also I found reading it a deep emotional experience - so may echoes and resonances. I read it straight through. Beware - it grips you from the very beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable everything stopped until I'd finished, 15 Oct 2011
Mrs Janice White (Notts, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I loved Strangers and Pilgrims and I loved Away With the Fairies too. It's not often I can't sleep and on those few occasions it happens I usually lie awake and mentally rebuild my home or pondering a problem at work, never has the first thing that came to mind, when sleep didn't, been get your kindle and keep reading. That's what happened with Away with the Fairies. I took it with me on a visit read at any opportunity and finished it in the car on the way home. Absolutely brilliant I can't recommend it highly enough.

Janice
Away With The Fairies

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical., 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This was an interesting an engaging book. A lot of family life that can be identified with, and a touch of magic thrown in for good measure,

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful novel from Vivienne Tuffnell, 19 Dec 2011
Fiona Mcgregor (Alva, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I just loved Strangers and Pilgrims, Vivienne's first novel. But you know how it is, you are sometimes nervous reading a second novel in case it's a disappointment; in case the author put all his/her good ideas into the first one.

But no need for that with Away with the Fairies. A rollocking good story line, beautifully drawn characters, some laugh out loud moments, and others where I started feeling a bit scared and went and checked all the doors and windows!

Vivienne Tuffnell is a truly gifted novelist. She makes you laugh, cry and think profoundly about life and death and eveything in between.

I do hope she brings out another book soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars getting better, 12 Jan 2012
Barb (Roma, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
It's a page-turner, I couldn't figure out where this was going until the end. It's touching, funny and inspirational. The characters all have depth and humanity, and I really enjoyed my second ride with Vivienne Tuffnell.
Recommended to lovers of Strangers&Pilgrims and everybody else, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you believe in fairies?, 12 Oct 2011
C. Duncan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Having greatly enjoyed Strangers and Pilgrims, I couldn't wait to read Vivienne Tuffnell's new book, especially after reading the intriguing synopsis. I wasn't disappointed and once again the author has created some wonderful and utterly believable characters. Without wishing to give anything away, this book made me think about what's important in life and the need to appreciate what we have before it's gone. It was also fantastically, deliciously creepy - you'll know the bit I mean when you read it! Because you should read it. At this price it would be rude not to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An atmospheric read, 1 July 2014
Fran Macilvey (Scotland, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
'Away With The Fairies' by Vivienne Tuffnell

I really liked this story. I was well written, fluent, engaging and, in parts, genuinely moving, especially early on where we hear about Izzie's parents and her struggle to hang on to her sense of self. That struggle to find space felt very genuine, very well observed and articulated, and gave the story a real grounding that most readers will identify with.

The more mystical aspects were well handled too, and there was no shirking from the explanations needed to make the whole backstory hang well together. Tuffnell has done an excellent job marshalling her research and spinning it into the story. I appreciated that.

I have only a slight quibble, which might be down to my own preference for short sentences. The kindle page felt a bit crowded. There are a lot of very long paragraphs; and sentences which, while they hung together, could have been made easier by being shortened and clarified. Occasionally, the meaning ran away with the commas. A spot of judicious editing would be so rewarding, here.

All the best, Vivenne, and thanks for a warm-hearted and interesting read. I'll go and take a look at some of your other books.

Fran Macilvey, "Trapped: My Life With Cerebral Palsy"

5.0 out of 5 stars AWAY WITH THE FAIRIES, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I have read by Vivienne Tuffnell and I must admit a couple of times I got distracted and found it hard to start reading again (I had to read a couple of pages to get back into the story).

I am glad I persevered because I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters, it made a really nice change to read a
different type of book (a totally different style of writing).

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read something different. I have purchased more of this author's books on the strength of this one.
KARRIE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
When you understand the subject matter you will fall in love with this book. I am looking forward to the next book she writes.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting storyline, 7 Feb 2013
R (Fleet, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I found this book a pleasant read, some parts could have been cut a bit shorter, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

Away With The Fairies