Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.55

on 26 July 2015
Unlike the other novels I have read by the author, it took me a while to get into Away With The Fairies. To begin with, I found it hard to identify with or even like Isobel, and was surprised I didn't have more sympathy for her considering everything she'd been through before the story even really starts. Once I'd finished the book though, I realised the character was actually really well written. I know from experience that people who are grieving are very often not 'themselves' and can be difficult to be around. There are various stages of grief and despite her insistence that she is okay, Isobel appears to be stuck, isn't coping very well and blames everyone but herself for the way she's feeling. I must admit, the story didn't really get going for me until more than half way through and if it had been written by someone I hadn't read before I may not have bothered to finish it. However, I know Vivienne's writing and had a strong feeling I wouldn't be disappointed, and I wasn't. In fact, Away With The Fairies reminded me of films I've enjoyed that may have dragged a bit to begin with but eventually everything that happens is relevant once you have the complete picture. The book was also peppered with intriguing elements that kept me wondering what was going to happen next and how it all turns out. Once Isobel was alone in the cottage, I found it difficult to put the book down and raced through to the end really wanting Isobel to resolve her issues and be happy again. I eventually grew to understand and like her enough to care what happened to her, and that isn't easy to do in writing. For me, although there are elements of both in this novel, a good book doesn't necessarily have to be a page turner or a spine tingler. I liked the everyday, human elements; mundane and humorous conversation, moments of passion, trips to the shops and those all important cups of tea and biscuits! I loved the old man character, especially his old fashioned speech patterns and, unlike one or two other Reviewers, found his story and explanations fascinating and imperative to tying the whole story together. I initially felt Maggie was somewhat of a red herring but, again, a well written character because her appearance had me thinking along completely different lines to what actually happens. In all, a very good read that I would recommend; especially to young mum's who may identify with Isobel at a much earlier point than I did, and those struggling with bereavement.
on 24 May 2014
This caught my interest from the first page. I adored the main characters, and the book caught the 'living in a goldfish bowl' aspect of a clergyman's family beautifully. This was the first book by this author that I read, but I went on to read her other novels - and thoroughly enjoyed those, too!
on 22 April 2016
This is a marvelous, wonderful book -- "well written" doesn't begin to describe it. It affected me so strongly and I identified so closely with the main character that at one point I actually had to muster up my courage to keep reading and learn what would happen to her! And then I was really hooked -- I finished the book standing at the kitchen counter with the Kindle on the charger!. The author is extremely skilled at descriptive writing and character development, and there were surprises that left me breathless. Ms. Tuffnell has a rare talent for turning the most mundane situations into enchantment and, yes, terror. There is profound wisdom in this book as well. I will be going back and rereading a couple of chapters because some of Isobel's discoveries perfectly addressed unresolved issues in my own life. I recommend this book very, very highly.
on 28 August 2014
This is so worth reading, the story is delightful containing insight into real ordinary daily struggles of families , while adding magic vision thoughtful debate and its own philosophy that is uplifting. I recommend this as a special read , a treat when life seems ordinary this book gives insight into the extra ordinary that lives within us all if we take time to know ourselves a little better.
on 14 September 2013
This was the first book I have read by Vivienne Tuffnell and I must admit a couple of times I got distracted and found it hard to start reading again (I had to read a couple of pages to get back into the story).

I am glad I persevered because I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the characters, it made a really nice change to read a
different type of book (a totally different style of writing).

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read something different. I have purchased more of this author's books on the strength of this one.
KARRIE.
on 19 December 2011
I just loved Strangers and Pilgrims, Vivienne's first novel. But you know how it is, you are sometimes nervous reading a second novel in case it's a disappointment; in case the author put all his/her good ideas into the first one.

But no need for that with Away with the Fairies. A rollocking good story line, beautifully drawn characters, some laugh out loud moments, and others where I started feeling a bit scared and went and checked all the doors and windows!

Vivienne Tuffnell is a truly gifted novelist. She makes you laugh, cry and think profoundly about life and death and eveything in between.

I do hope she brings out another book soon!
on 3 November 2015
An intriguing and different book with believable characters and a well-described setting. A refreshing change.
on 27 February 2015
We all need to take time for ourselves. This book showed what can happen when emotional crisis happens and energy goes out the window. Some of the strange happenings should perhaps have evoked an earlier response in order to be more realistic, but having said that the whole story was gripping and very good, particularly if laid up with a bad back and in need of distraction!
The subject of unresolved or unspoken issues with deceased parents will touch the hearts of many as it did me. Vivienne Tuffnell will find her way to my kindle many times I suspect.
on 21 January 2013
would have liked some of the characters more developed in places but an good read but predictability rating was about average so no surprises - wanted to be something its not- but showed promise in places.
on 15 October 2011
I loved Strangers and Pilgrims and I loved Away With the Fairies too. It's not often I can't sleep and on those few occasions it happens I usually lie awake and mentally rebuild my home or pondering a problem at work, never has the first thing that came to mind, when sleep didn't, been get your kindle and keep reading. That's what happened with Away with the Fairies. I took it with me on a visit read at any opportunity and finished it in the car on the way home. Absolutely brilliant I can't recommend it highly enough.

Janice