5.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies - had to buy another!
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by HTK

3.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies
This book was quite interesting, however I felt that at times it was rather laboured. The ending was unexpected though , so overall it was quite enjoyable.
Published 17 months ago by Dancer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Away with the Fairies - had to buy another!, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Having been captivated by Strangers and Pilgrims, I naturally felt inclined to read the next offering from Vivienne Tuffnell, Away with the Fairies. Different, but no less captivating, the tale of Isabel's own struggle with her art is explored in Tuffnell's careful and conscientious writing: imaginative, thought-provoking, and occasionally challenging - a real pleasure to read. I lent a copy to my Mother, who told me what an eye-opening pleasure it was after the usual run-of-the-mill modern paperbacks; then my Father had to read it before I finally got it back... I've bought him his own copy now. Happy Father's Day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing :-), 18 April 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Away with the Fairies is simply delightful!!! I read a sample of it first and was quickly drawn into the main Character, Isobel's, life (and bought the book!). Isobel is working mother and vicar's wife and we meet her as everything seems to be crumbling or should we say flooding around her! The storyline is simple and effective and keeps you guessing. I cannot recommend it enough! I'm now looking for my next Vivienne Tuffnell book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating from the start, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
Having read and really enjoyed The Bet, I've just finished Away with the Fairies, and loved this too. There's a theme of unresolved grief running through this author's work, and she manages to convey it very movingly but without ever slipping over into melodrama. Her characters feel very real, and I find myself thinking about them long after I've put the book down.
As with The Bet, the book really wasn't what I was expecting it to be, it's a slightly mysterious, properly thought out grown up read, which has lingered in my mind for a long while.

(semi-spoiler] I wanted to see Maggie get her comeuppance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophically mythical, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This is so worth reading, the story is delightful containing insight into real ordinary daily struggles of families , while adding magic vision thoughtful debate and its own philosophy that is uplifting. I recommend this as a special read , a treat when life seems ordinary this book gives insight into the extra ordinary that lives within us all if we take time to know ourselves a little better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put it Down!, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This caught my interest from the first page. I adored the main characters, and the book caught the 'living in a goldfish bowl' aspect of a clergyman's family beautifully. This was the first book by this author that I read, but I went on to read her other novels - and thoroughly enjoyed those, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Understanding., 5 July 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book greatly having read it in the "wilds" of Argyll at an isolated cottage off Loch Fyne, so I had time to do it justice.
My thanks goes to Vivienne Tuffnell for her insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Away with the fairies, 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and couldn't put it down! Have recommended to my friends who I know will enjoy it as much as I did, Am now looking for more of her books to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very accessible, thoroughly rewarding read, 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
In this engaging story of coming to terms with events over which she had no control, Isobel juggles the unasked-for challenges of Vicar's wife - 'I hate to tell you this, Izzie, but I have a terrible feeling that God is calling me to become a minister' - motherbood, and the life of a 'Professional bloody artist'. It is in this last, Issy's creativity, that we follow her journey back to herself, her inner self and her core identity - as an artist and as an individual.

Isobel's husband Mickey is a good-humoured man, his easy manner an effective foil for Isobel's at times ascerbic tongue and brittle mask of cabability - human characteristics that combine to make her all the more believable.

A cottage in the countryside becomes her haven, a place of mystery and weird goings-on, where she seeks refuge in her painting. There's tension there though, a sense of mystery that builds inexorably, and we're never sure whether it stems from Izzy's imaginings or her frankly spooky but delightful daughter Miranda who visits from time to time. Or is it emanating from the ancient mound at the bottom of the garden, where huge trees sway in the wind? We are kept in suspense till the very end.

In summary, Away with the Fairies is a thought-provoking, at times magical read. It illuminates the creative process, sparkles with insight and humour which did much to veil the underlying seriousness of the issues at stake and which contributed to making this a thoroughly rewarding read.

I'd suggest that this is a great book to try if you've previously shied away from literary fiction; yes, it is literary fiction in the way it embraces important themes, but it's also an accessible, captivating story which will appeal to all kinds of readers. Beautifully written and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend it, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I read at the end that this is the authors first book and eagerly await her next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Away with the fairys, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Away With The Fairies (Kindle Edition)
This was such a great read wish it would have been a bit more of it I could not put it down

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›