on 1 October 2011
Wannabee author Adrian Slater attends creative writing classes and reveals to the class he intends to commit a murder so he can have a factual basis for his novel.

Stephen Leather has come up with another engrossing thriller that at around 53,000 words provides an absorbing journey to an unexpected destination. Readers may think they have worked out the ending before reaching the climax but as they read on, the story takes a final twist - but you'll have to read the story to find out what happens!

His offerings have ranged from the short very gentle Inspector Zhang locked room mysteries; the excellent Dan (Spider) Shepherd series; the Jack Nightingale occult detective series through to the hard biting novellas specifically written as ebooks 'The Basement' and 'Once Bitten'. Those who found that for them 'The Basement' was a tad on the gory side will find 'The Bestseller' does not come into the same category; nor are there any vampires - I simply found 'The Bestseller' an excellent fast-paced thriller and would heartily recommend it.

The author has embraced the ebook market with fortitude and has managed to completely lasso the attention of a massive number of readers. His resilience, grit and varied style have kept his ebooks at the top of the Kindle bestseller lists since before Christmas 2010. His knack of penning a thrilling read from almost any scenario is indicative of his astounding talent and no doubt 'The Bestseller' will be well........a bestseller!

As a well established very successful mainstream author long before the surge in ebook popularity Stephen Leather was able to set the benchmark in what readers should expect from ebooks and did not come up wanting. In fact, from within his range of titles there is something capable of pandering to everyone's taste within the crime/thriller genre.

Hardly surprising then, that his latest offering 'The Bestseller' offers excellent insights into the world of epublishing. The formatting and flow of the text is excellent with noticeably absent typos - something which can be a problem with some ebooks.

This author makes writing and producing ebooks appear completely easy peasy lemon squeazy!
on 17 December 2011
This is the first e book I have read, and I have to admit, I was hooked on the story. The dialogue and especially the characterisations were excellent. I have read The Basement which was another novella, which had the most stunning twist at the end. I didn't know what to expect with The Bestseller but I was not disappointed. If you are looking for a great story, excellent characterisations, good dialogue, then I would get The Bestseller. Stephen Leather is a writer who always creates believable characters, and usually I get to care about what happens to them in the story, which is what happened here. He makes you believe you are seeing what is happening, but then right at the end when you think you know "whodunnit", you are left thinking well I didn't see that coming.
If you want something to read over Christmas, or if you are new with a kindle, I would highly recommend you get this.
I absolutely loved this story, and for me, Stephen Leather definitely delivered another cracking story. Buy this, you won't be disappointed.
on 17 February 2012
Before reading this novella I saw that it had received mixed reviews. After reading it I found it to be a very clever narrative that explores the debate of e-publishing versus conventional publishing and of how to write a novel mixed in with the intrigue and suspense of wether an author is a potential murderer. there is action right from the start and intrigue and a suspense maintained throuhout by Leather's flair for a natural dialogue that makes the characters believable and for an easy read.
There is so much in this novella that makes it feel more like a novel and that makes it excellent value. It is a great easy read- just get it.
on 5 June 2013
I loved most of this. There is a lot of intensity, a unique and interesting plot, and a main character who interests me. I liked the cat, and the constant presence of real and unreal, and the subtle way both balance, then spin out of control.

What disappointed me was the plot resolution. I don't want to spoil other readers' experience, so I won't give too much detail. But there is a murder, and a murderer is unmasked. However, I saw no evidence that the murderer was guilty because (despite a confession) I was never given an explanation of how the murders were achieved (the pure practicalities of HOW the murderer managed to end the lives of the individuals who died).

I was so distracted by this that the last chapters, which were otherwise powerfully intense, had a very reduced impact.

There is a lot that is fantastic about this book. I love the concept of Dreamers and Dreaming. I really appreciate that this is a world with greed, crime, different interior design tastes, corporate politics, youth, maturity, old age, new technology... All of which make it feel very 3D. Living inside Lief's head is never boring, and I always felt empathy. The Dream sequences are very powerful, and achieved a combination of fascination and disgust in me - very like Leif's reaction - so full marks to Leather for that!

I just wish I could work out how the deaths were achieved.
on 24 August 2013
This brilliant book confirms my admiration for Stephen Leather's writing and detailed story telling.

Based on the premise of a young writer working on a book that describes how he's going to kill a fellow student on an NYC university creative writing course in the search of fame and fortune, this story has all the usual Leather trademarks of a gripping plot with witty dialogue, and the added bonus of an unexpected 'killer twist' before 'THE END' appears (as mentioned in the title details). The descriptive passages and characters are so well penned it's easy to believe you are there. The prose flows so well I finished it in hardly any time at all, yet felt completely fulfilled by the experience (not always the case with fast-flowing literature). Very different from the other books by this author I've read, it's a great example of his versatility. At the price it's an absolute bargain. Highly recommended; a murder mystery of depth without an overload of gory detail that exposes the dark, self-obsessed underbelly of the publishing world (in America, at least). As 'The Basement' is mentioned as a book written by the student writer, the version by Mr Leather is now in both my Kindle and my wife's for subsequent pleasure.
on 16 February 2012
If you are expecting the kind of story you would get from Stephens other books like Hard Landing and characters like Spider Shepard you will be sorely dissapointed. This is a whole new Leather. This is a book with many levels, a psychological thriller, a look inside the writers world from the point of view of the protagonist Dudley Grose the flawed writer and college teacher and his constant battle against new technology, Kindle etc. The antagonist is a pure Sociopath who hides a blade behind a smile. From the start the sense of menace is set with a night time scene in a marina with lightning flashes and the girl looking for evidence being cornered by the bad guy. It does burn along slowly but the tension builds to a big twist at the end, two twists in fact which I will not spoil by revealing them here. It does seem as if Stephen is experimenting with different genres and thats good, keeps things fresh and his fans on their toes. The book is well worth checking out, the dialogue is realistic and the pace flows along well but do not take my word for it check it out for yourself.
on 30 June 2013
Another cocky man who knows his rights and can run rings around the Police A bit odd that he writing about The Basement in another story.You must read this before The Basement. A great ending .
on 6 July 2014
'The Bestseller' is the story of an university lecturer who becomes convinced that one of his creative writing students is plotting to kill someone and write about it.

I found this a fast-paced and thrilling read. It's cleverly written - Leather brings one of his other books into the story and one character admits that while it's a brilliant book, none of the characters were likeable in any way. The same could easily be said of this book. It's a gripping read and the suspenseful story kept me turning pages, but while the characters were interesting and believable in their own ways, none of them were the slightest bit likeable. I don't always finish books if I don't like the characters but there was no way I was putting this down until I found out what was going to happen!

The story is well plotted and moves along at a fast, thrilling pace. I read it fairly quickly in one sitting, trying to work out how it was all going to end. I thought I had it figured out towards the end, but there is a really good, unpredictable twist in there which made it an even more satisfying read. This is the second of Leather's books that I've read and I will definitely be reading more of them.

Overall this is a brilliantly suspenseful, fast-paced book. Highly recommended reading for fans of thrillers!
on 15 March 2013
I'm a huge fan of Stephen Leather's Nightingale collection, I wasn't entirely sure I would like this but got it simply because it was his. I wasn't disappointed, it was a great story. The book discussed in The Bestseller is another Leather book, the ending of which is given away in the book so I suggest reading that one first
on 29 May 2013
Both my wife and myself really enjoyed this book. I read it first and loved it, couldn't put it down, read it at every available time.
Finished it and my wife wondered why I was so hooked on finishing it, Then she started reading it and like me couldn't put it down.
Lovely twists and turns, and great ending.