I've never had a pasta maker before and wondered if it would be too difficult to do, but the recipe is straightfoward (I might mix it in my mixer in future rather than by hand, as it was quite stiff to work into a dough). The pasta machine made short work of creating long pieces of pasta, which I've used to make a very successful lasagne, as well as having tortellini strips mixed with a tomato sauce. I would not rush to eat bought pasta again after trying this, it tastes so soft and fresh, rather than the drier, tougher, chewier products often sold in supermarkets.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2013
This was bought for my other half for us both to try out making our pasta.
It is heavy as anything and works perfectly and i'm super impressed how easy it is!
Even a kitchen Ludite like me can make fresh pasta.
Make sure you have something to dry the pasta on though we used coat hangers!
on 11 March 2016
Promptly delivered and well packaged with tracking information, thank you. The pasta machine is heavy and well made. Mine arrived yesterday (Wednesday) and I decided today was the day to try it out. I followed a recipe via the BBC Good Food website with a video with tips as to how to roll out the dough you make. It's worth a look, I found it helpful. I decided to make ravioli even though I've never made pasta before, it was straightforward to make. I made my dough in my food processor and as my dough felt a little sticky I added a little more flour, big mistake! My lovely ball of dough crumbled into lots of little lumps! I added a drop of water and kneaded it by hand for a minute, fortunately the ball came back and I wrapped it in cling film and let it rest for an hour in the fridge. After I took out my dough, flattened it with my hands, cut it in two, wrapping up the piece I wasn't working with to keep it from drying out, and got my pasta machine ready. It's important to start at the widest roller setting 7 then work down, use a little flour on the rollers to keep the dough from stick here and there. I found I enjoyed this process. I followed the instructions from the booklet with my machine for ravioli and rolled out my dough as per the instructions. The ravioli attachment is easy to use and very satisfying to see little uniform filled pockets appear underneath as I rolled the pasta sheet through. I used my left over trimmings to make tagliatelle pasta and 'angel hair' fine noodle with one of the cutting attachments, this was easy to use. The pasta was great, my son and husband loved it, as did I. It needs a bit of prep but once you know what you're doing it really is easy, I shall continue to try different recipes, Cleaning was straightforward too, I used a new narrow paint brush, turning the rollers to clean, but they all looked pretty good anyway. Another reviewer stressed the importance of getting the pasta dough right, I agree, it mustn't be too sticky. I am very impressed with this pasta machine and can happily reccomend it.
review image
on 20 February 2012
Bought as a Christmas present for my daughter - she is very impressed with the machine, says it is easy to use and clean, sturdy and good value for money compared to others I have seen.
on 8 January 2014
Like a few of the other reviewers, I noticed upon receipt of this product that it didn't look or feel particularly sturdy. Nevertheless I set about making my first pasta dish and was delighted with the result.

The problems began when I decided to use it for a second time a couple of days later. Having prepared my dough I set about putting it through the rollers only to find that they would intermittently stick, causing the pasta to tear and come out in a rather sorry state, eventually they simply wouldn't move when I tried to put the dough through.

After taking the machine apart I discovered that the gears which drive the rollers aren't the best quality, nor do they fit particularly well, this was allowing lateral movement of the gears on the shaft meaning they didn't fully connect, especially on the wider settings.

The fix (Which has worked so far) was to flip the gear on the 'slave' roller around as even with the movement this allows for much better contact between the 2 gears.

I do now have a working pasta maker but I wouldn't recommend this product unless you're willing to tinker about with it.
I have owned one of these units for several years and they are so useful to have if you like to whip up a quick batch of pasta without too much fuss. They are so easily to use and the pasta comes out thin and delicious every time. After having rolled pasta manually and then switched to this I will never go back. I bought this unit to replace an older similar model that fell to pieces on me (in the middle of a dinner party with Italian guests I might add so I was a little flustered to be without this).

This unit is very similar to the old one, however it feels a little more well put together and comes with some very useful additions that will simplify my pasta making in the future even more. I haven't tried the raviolli cutter yet but looking at it it looks to be genius in design. I can see how it will really speed up making filled pasta in the future.

Overall I am very pleased with this purchase and hopefully it will outlast the latter unit I purchased a few years ago.
on 17 December 2012
Having researched pasta machines, there seemed wide variability on quality and performance and the price did not seem to make a big difference.

All I can say about this maching is that it is well made, of heavy construction and it has so far taken everything thrown into it in its stride. If you are thinking of buying one, you won't be sorry.
on 3 January 2012
This is the first pasta 'machine' that I've ever purchased and I thought that I was on to a winner due to item description & photographs....

Plus Points:

Very Quick Delivery

Cheap Cost

Negative Points:

Poor Build Quality (not sure how long the machine will remain in one piece)

The machine was still swathed in machine oil and it has taken an eternity to clean with copious amounts of pasta dough (quite clear in the instructions that soap / water are not to be used).

The instructions describe "How to prepare the dough and the pasta" and suggest that the regulator (pasta thickness gauge) is set at position 1 to start the rolling process.....however, position 1 is the 'thinest' setting and the regulator should actually be set at position 7 (didn't take a rocket scientist to work out how to use the machine properly). Whilst on the subject of the regulator - don't be too rough or pull too hard as I'm fairly certain that it will part company with the rest of the machine.

I've awarded three stars as the product is 'OK' (after getting over the machine oil issue) and it does work (after figuring out the regulator) and isn't too difficult to clean (despite not being able to use water or soap) and it remains in one piece (for the time being anyway)
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2013
The basic machine is good enough to do the job of rolling out the pasta dough into sheets and then into taggliatelli to spaghetti strips but the ravioli attachment is rubbish. You end up with something resembling a string vest that had a plate of minced meat mashed through it.
It is an "over designed" copy of a much simpler machine that rolls out the pasta dough and then the sheets can be cut into strips on an other part of the same machine (just one size though, Tagliatelli, no spaghetti)
I have had both machines and they are Difficult to clean after use. The pasta dough gets squeezed into the stand and between the rollers and the underside of the top part of the machine and you cannot remove this without taking the machine apart.
You can't wash the machines as they rust unless you dry every part, inside and out and I would recommend buying a cheap machine, using it for a while and then throwing it away and buying another one, Simply to make the raw pasta dough elastic and then using a sharp knife to cut the sheets into strips. Use ground semolina and not wheat flour and buy a tin ravioli tray or make that in the traditional way using a cutting wheel to separate the pieces.
I went to a cookery demonstration where the professional chef couldn't even make the spaghetti with this machine as he was turning the handle the wrong way when he finally got the attachment together it did work, but in my opinion it will not make ravioli no matter how much you practice. Buy something else.
on 7 January 2012
Bought the Andrew James pasta maker to make some home made ravioli and found it very easy to use. The size is just right for our kitchen and the clamp has plenty of room to attach to the working surface. Product is well made and instructions for use and cleaning were very easy to follow.