4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by C

3.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisin Omnibus
Published on 27 Jun 2012 by Netta

3.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisin Omnibus, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Agatha Raisin Omnibus: The Quiche of Death, The Potted Gardener, The Vicious Vet and The Walkers of Dembley (Kindle Edition)
I read the first offering "The Quiche of Death", (couldn't forgive the awful play on words!) and hoped Agatha's erratic and juvenile behaviour would improve with subsequent offerings. Alas this was not to be. Initially she came across as immature and silly. But as the second, third and fourth books progressed, I thought she just became tiresome. The stories themselves were OK, but definitely not riveting. I did find one or two flaws in "continuity" in The Potted Gardener. Can you have a sallow complexion and very, very white legs, as one character is described? And when Agatha has to leave the village for a while, she leaves her cats with her handsome neighbour, but on her return (at the start of The Walkers of Dembley), we're told that her cleaning lady had been caring for them. Maybe a trivial point, but it shows lack of attention to detail, which some readers (like myself, obviously) will pick up on. On the whole though, they were a reasonably enjoyable read, but I do not find myself enthused with curiosity to know what happens to Agatha and any subsequent developments in either her love life, or her sorties into crime detection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, 21 Feb 2012
C (NEWTON ABBOT, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this starter collection when it was on offer.I forced myself to read a different book in between each of the 4 stories so i could make it last longer. Have to say I rushed the other books so I could get back to Agatha and her exploits. The books are easy reading with simple to follow characters. I would like to download the others but as they are really quite short books,coming on for nearly 2 deacades old and there is a group of 10 paperbacks (books 11-20)available on the internet for £9.99 I think the Kindle price is too much, especially if you are new to them and would like to read them all.

1.0 out of 5 stars save me, 16 Aug 2012
I bought this omnibus at a mere 99p but I was so glad it had only cost so little as it was money wasted! I only read the first offering "The Quiche of Death" I really could not bring myself to read any more. I only completed the first one as I was slightly curious to find out "who done it". The writing style was simply awful, stilted and confused. The characters were two dimentional and boring. When I originally read about the book it said hilariously funny, I laughed once in the whole book, if that's hilarious I have been using the word incorrectly for quite some time!

If you are an M C Beaton fan I apologise but this was tripe and I will not be giving any more of my time to such rubbish!

3.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisin Omnibus, 5 Mar 2012
This is a good, easy and rather fun read. Excellent for light reading while on long journeys - I read one book on my recent train journey to Wales. A really good addition to my Kindle. I have to say, I have developed rather a fondness for Agatha Raisin, silly as she is!

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly disappointing, 29 Dec 2012
I saw this in a Kindle sale and thought it looked like fun. I had heard good things from other people and the reviews were good. The final plus point was the comparison to Agatha Christie (love her books).
It's hard to describe how disappointing I found these books, not just in comparison to Christie, but also in isolation. They are quite poorly written, stilted and clunky. The lead character, Agatha Raisin is impossible to like. She's like a petulant child, selfish, unpleasant and totally lacking in appeal. Contrast that to the cleverly written Miss.Marple...
In addition the author seems very keen on signposting every little thing that is going to happen. Not just a subtle hint here or there, which is usual with these cosy mystery novels, but more a massive sign with flashing lights and neon lettering, just in case you might miss it. It takes all the fun out of reading them.
It's hard to believe that these were intended to be funny. I'm at a loss to see where the amusement is?

It's very difficult to warm to poorly written stories, with a thoroughly unlikeable lead character, so I will not be pursuing the series. I would recommend that anyone who is tempted by these books steers themselves towards some classic Agatha Christie instead, in order to avoid intense disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars not my cup of tea, 16 Feb 2012
purchased this book when on offer as it had been on my wish list.one of the reasons for buying was the comparison to miss marple.having read every book written by agatha christie i can assure you this character bears no resemblance in any way shape or form to the afore said miss marple .agatha raison is neither likable or believable.dont waste your money as i did .

5.0 out of 5 stars Should do more of this bundle, 23 Aug 2013
Owh... M.C.Beaton... I'm so in live with your Agatha Raisin. I read this 4 books in no time! Should do more of this bundle - 3/4/5 books in one go! That really helps the addictio to Agatha Raisin. Sometime I feel like I can really see her when I read the book. She is some woman!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book yoga, 18 Feb 2013
Who would've thought a 24 year old would be so much enjoy reading about a middle aged woman who moves to the country to have a more relaxing life, yet finds herself involved in slightly unbelivable situation? Well so it was! Agatha's character is so endearing, the book so readable, and the surprise you share with Agatha as her retirement becomes so strangely exciting makes this a great book to read to relax. It's not complicated, it's not emotional, it's not hard-hitting, but it's charming and involves you from the beginning, so it is hard to put down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, not even at 99p, 13 Feb 2012
I was baffled. The stories were very poor Agatha Christie emulations, and far from finding Agatha Raisin amusing, I was embarassed by this "Strong and independent" business woman consistently displaying all the emotional and personal maturity of a rather backward thirteen year old. Please let's not compare her with Miss Marple.
I read the first two of the omnibus in case the first one was not the best showcase, but the second one (the vet) was worse. Oh dear, oh dear, I feel very out of tune if this is what passes for wit and entertainment!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 6 Jan 2012
I bought this book for Ipod touch/kindle and at this bargain price you can't go wrong (£1.19) Really enjoyed the first book and looking forward to reading the rest - hopefully they will be equally funny/entertaining.