4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive
Published on 18 Mar 2012 by GG London

3.0 out of 5 stars Average monitor
Good for the money, but after using it for almost a year i have been disappointed knowing i could have bought better products with my money. This monitor has a very nice look, extremely slim screen and has operated perfectly well so i can't complain about that.
Published 16 months ago by Jack Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Acer S240HLBID 24-inch Monitor 16:9 FHD LED 5 ms 100M:1 A DVI w/HDCP HDMI Acer EcoDisplay (Accessory)
Having used a square 19" monitor for a number of years I was very unsure of what to expect when I ordered this monitor, yeah I did read the forum reviews etcetera but I was still wary. This monitor is excellant value for money, even thinner than my old flat screen and less weight. The forums generally moaned about the buttons being hidden underneath the frame and the on/off switch being hard to find. Well on the instructions it shows quite clearly where everything is so I did not find it a problem. I have never used the buttons as the Acer eDisplay Manager software does EVERYTHING simply. It is true plug and play so just attach and use it, then set up the software.
I use a programme called Autocad which is power hungry and complex, with this monitor it made life so much easier by having a much larger screen area and being rectangular meant that toolbars stacked on the side more naturally leaving a good expanse to work on my drawings, there was absolutely no time lag with this monitor. I have also watched a few films in 16:9 format and the thin edges of the monitor almost disappear giving no distractions whatsoever. I also have a TV card and can have the television on the left of the screen, while I can be using MS word or Emails or any other software that does not need full screen for functionality.
This monitor will suit 90% of the population, great value, ease of use, power saving and looks sooo sexy!
Amazon please please make reviews of items like this a month after purchase, when a more realistic review can be published, I had to leave your Email request for a time till I was ready to write this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Monitor For The Price!, 6 Dec 2011
When I first looked into this monitor there were no reviews of it anywhere. I already had an Acer PC so I knew about the brand and quality. The monitor seemed to have everything I wanted - 24 inch widescreen, LED, full HD at a price than was too good to ignore. My only concern was the 5ms response time as I like to play games on my PC. My research suggested that this shouldn't really make a difference.

I decided to take the plunge. The monitor arrived well within the free delivery timescale. The box included the stand, a 3-pin power lead, a 2-pin power lead, a VGA cable, booklets and a CD with software. My plan was to use a HDMI cable which I already had. The unit is light and has a glossy black bezel which matches my PC. The stand was easy to attach with the aid of a cross head screwdriver. There are 5 unmarked plastic buttons on the underside just to the right of the stand.

After connecting everything up, I could not switch the monitor on! The manual didn't point out where the on/off button was. After some frantic pressing of buttons and searching I found the power button to be the stylish bit of plastic that protrudes out below the "acer" logo at the bottom. There is small a power symbol on it which is hard to see. This button glows blue when the screen is on and orange in standby mode.

Once on, the screen is bright. I found that the contrast was a bit high and looked best with it turned down quite low. I also found that when using HDMI there was an inch thick black border between the display and bezel. I switched to using a DVI cable and this was rectified. The 5 buttons activate the OSD where you can adjust brightness, contrast, colour and select input type and screen modes such as standard, graphics, movie or an eco power saving mode. I usually stick with user defined settings. I found the included software to be useless. I used it once to calibrate the screen but on second use, it asked to update and remained stuck on that same screen. I just uninstalled it as it's not really required.

Now after using this monitor for a week I can say that it is a great screen. Colours and vivid, text is crisp and clear. Games look great in widescreen HD and I have not noticed any lag due to the response time. You just need to ensure that your graphics card is up to it. I have made the Windows screen bigger and when surfing I use Chrome's zoom feature to make the text more readable as in native HD resolution the text is smaller than what I am used to.

Overall I can thoroughly recommend this monitor. I am very happy with it. I don't see any reason for needing to pay any more for a 24 inch HD screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible monitor good clarity, brightness and colour, 30 Mar 2012
Thomas Coote (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was a very good buy for the generously small price Acer are asking for it and I knew from past experience that LED monitors were very good but this one still managed to impress me. It also comes with both a 2-pin and 3-pin connection to the wall so you don't need to worry about any power adapters.

To start I think it looks very nice - it fits the black theme that many of my electronics seem to have, looking sleek and thin on my desk right now. The matte finish is a good choice for the stand over the shiny gloss finish that will scratch as soon as you rest your fingers on it and will be noticeable forever after. The bezel that goes around the screen is a sleek gloss finish which looks very nice. On the bottom it has a blue power light beneath a piece of transparent plastic, the power symbol etched on and this looks very smart. This screen is very thin at the top indeed (only 13mm). Not worryingly thin like the new LG screens at a fragile and scary 3mm thick. There's nothing that I can fault here about the appearance.

I think this is a very good size to be working on at this resolution for all tasks such as office work as you can fit a lot on your screen at once, browsing the web with the option to zoom in web pages or gaming which I do do as well. The ports on the back are HDMI, VGA and DVI so there is a lot of options for connectivity. I have my PC set up via digital DVI and HDMI for the Xbox. Switching sources is very easy, just press the furthest right button twice and it will pick the next active source; This is very easy compared to my old screen where I would have to go through a few menus to get to where I wanted. There isn't too big of a range of viewing options like tilt but I'd say it's perfectly adequate for use if the monitor is properly positioned. Just having a look right now as I write this up the viewing angles are very good on here, you will not find your screen dull if your looking from the side very much at all. There is very good contrast displayed and the colours are vibrant and a pleasure to look at. I really couldn't want anything more for this and it's now such a low price I think I may buy another to fit alongside this one now. 10 out of 10 rating and 5 stars rating. A Great Buy

EDIT 1: This monitor has been viewed so well by my friends that two of them have decided to purchase one themselves! If anything shows how much of a good product this is, that has to be it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average monitor, 20 April 2013
However! It isn't the best product i could have bought with almost 100, the picture is okay but could be better, but the worst thing is that the angle of the screen is unchangeable. The screen sits perfectly vertical, this means if you're sitting higher or lower than the monitor you have to lean or hunch to make things more visible as there is no way to change the angle. I have actually ended up propping up the front of the monitor several times with a book so i don't have to hurt my back looking at the screen.

Good monitor in terms of how it operates, but not great quality, and there are better monitors for the same price or even less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 Nov 2011
Having been one of the first two to buy this monitor, I was a bit wary, as when I bought it, there were no reviews. But am using it now and can't believe the performance! Great colour, great brightness really crisp visuals. Despite the pictures, it DOES come with DVI-D, HDMI and VGA for those wishing piece of mind.

Even better, the setup is really simple. The most challenging part is taking it out of the box! You will need a screwdriver to screw the stand into the base of the tilt (which clips into the base of the monitor)

Pros:

-Great visuals
-Great price
-Easy setup
-Amazing looks (sleek and stylish)
-Thin enough to fit on the smallest of desks
-Comes with both a UK and European Standard Plug

Cons:

-Only comes with a VGA cable as standard
-Very wide (but then again, it is a WIDEscreen monitor!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding Desktop monitor, but be aware no VESA mount, 20 April 2013
C. Fisher (Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
The reviews written here are all on the mark. The build quality feels great, it's stylish, minimalist, and the picture is the best of the monitor's I've tried.

My only complaint is that the screen doesn't have VESA mounting points, and therefore can't be mounted on a stand or wall. This wasn't an issue when I bought them, as I intended for them to be on the desk, but having just decided to put them on a stand, I now need to replace these sadly and find units I can mount.

Other than that though they're superb so if you don't need to mount your screen then I highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, 24 Jan 2012
Given the great reviews at the time I purchased I was a little disappointed by some things I discovered about the monitor.

PROS
The price when I purchased - just under 150 - was good compared to many other monitors.
The black surround makes it very good for watching movies.
No glare worries due to the matte screen.
HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs.

CONS
I find the controls quite fiddly to use. The buttons are under the bottom edge and it's not possible to see what one is pressing. Little arrows do appear onscreen pointing to where the little buttons are (once the system is activated by pressing a button) but I really find the interface very awkward to use. The iPod-like rotating dial on my last monitor was a breeze in comparison.

The biggest issue, however, is amount of backlighting that spills into the bottom area of the screen and is noticeable when watching movies in letterbox mode when black bars occupy an area at the top and bottom of the screen. From the reviews I've read, some screens made by other manufacturers also seem to have this problem and I can't say whether this is any better or worse than others.

Just to be clear, this is not an issue when the image fills the entire screen. However, when I watched a movie in 2.40:1 aspect ratio (and many are released on Blu Ray in this format) the backlighting is VERY noticeable in the black area at the bottom. The problem can be improved by turning the brightness way down but it can't be removed without darkening the image. I find this issue distracting enough to affect my enjoyment of movies displayed in this format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great slimline monitor, nice and bright!, 13 April 2012
I bought this to use as a second monitor for my MacBook Pro. I am really happy with it! Set up was easy just connected it up via HDMI through a Thunderbolt-HDMI adaptor and it was good to go! Set the position of your screens in system prefs and you are laughing. The screen itself is a good size and nice and bright. The only criticisms is that the buttons and menus are painfully slow to navigate. But thats not really a problem. Set it up to how you like it and forget about it. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a secondary monitor, great screen for the price. I use it for analysis of fluorescent microscope images and the picture quality is plenty good enough for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good monitor, but check your cables!, 21 April 2013
This is a great monitor choice as I was recommended by a friend to get it as I have swapped from a 22inch 1680x1050 resolution which was a really awkward aspect ratio of 16:10 which is no longer standard rather than this monitors 16:9 aspect ratio which has made display setting changes much easier.

The monitor is a very slim and takes up noticeably less space than my old one used to. The buttons are placed under the bottom of the screen which at first seemed awkward but there are on screen arrows once pressed, which help and removes the need to look at the buttons and only your sense of touch is needed.

The price for the monitor was a very good deal at 122 of writing and is very affordable compared to many other 24inch monitors at a high resolution.

However, one thing to note is that there is only a VGA cable supplied which may be sufficient if you just want to connect and display your monitor, but if you want a high def digital display I would suggest getting a DVI-D cable over a HDMI cable.

The reason for using a DVI-D cable is because DVI-D uses the full RGB colour range while HDMI uses a limited scale which results in washed out colours, most notably the dark blacks that do not appear fully dark black.

So to avoid any hassle with changing the video settings, get a DVI-D cable and you won't have to worry with colour correction or brightness correction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing, stunning visuals at amazing price!, 26 Nov 2011
I was looking for a monitor for my Mac Mini and Xbox 360 which had full 1080p HD, with a pretty slick look if possible. I searched and found various models with lots of reviews, however this one had no reviews which made me slightly hesitant. Despite this I went ahead and ordered this and I can't express how please I am with this.

It looks really nice, turns on and off in lightning speed and has various settings to adjust to a fantastic clear picture. Everything looks great in 1080p and the display is really thin aswell adding to the great look.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this to anyone especially for the price!