5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful production of a wonderful show
Watched the new DVD of "Love Never Dies" last night. Fantastic production but very different from the concept album that I'm very familiar with and also different from the London production I saw a couple of years ago.

Great casting of The Phantom and Christine, perfect for portraying who they have become in this story but I was none too sure about Meg Giry,...
Published on 13 Mar 2012 by Adam Greenwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed in places, dazzingly in others
I must start by saying that the film itself is gorgeous; it's really immersive considering the theatrical nature of the production.

However, the musical itself is quite flawed. This is definitely not the fault of the actors; Ben Lewis does a terrific job with a sensuous voice that you can get lost in. Anna O'Byrne is very engaging with a nice, crisp soprano...
Published 15 months ago by Suzie

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Never Dies Blu-ray disk, 6 Feb 2012
For me the show is all theatrics with the script being a little contrived. Not withstanding that the players did what they could with what they had. The costumes, set etc are all impressive but don't make up for the lack of a credible storyline or continuity of character.

In conclusion for me at any rate the "Love Never Dies" production is rather forgettable in terms of content but I am sure there are many who will be captivated just for what it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Questionable, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
As a dedicated Phantom fan, I was eager to buy this DVD and had it pre-ordered and ready.

First off I'd like to say that I think of this film in no relation to phantom!

I found the story quite strange, firstly why they chose to set the film in Coney Island? Also the main twist was unbelievable, as it ties in with the first film but could not work in my eyes.

The whole circus theme of the story seemed rather random and completely different to the original film.

The characters seemed completely different - Raoul was harsh and bitter, Meg was desperate and slightly crazy, and Madam Giry was also quite harsh and angry. In the Show and the film of Phantom of the Opera, all these characters come across as friendly.

The biggest disappointment by far was the music. I can say the best songs were 'Love never dies' and 'Till I hear you sing' (the latter by far the best!) and the only others that stood out as good were songs or snippets of music from the original Phantom. The rest were cheesy and cringe worthy. If that was what the West End show was like, I can see why it was cancelled.

The film itself was OK, it may be the fact that I enjoyed Phantom so much that I wanted a sequel to match. If you're expecting another Parisian Opera house then prepare for disappointment. Phantom of the Opera is my all time favourite musical, but Love Never Dies is a poor sequal. In my eyes, Love never dies is better off as a seperate musical all together and should not be associated with Phantom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes it does, 15 May 2012
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
The original has style, tunes that haunt, amazing production standards and a lead male who can't sing. It's still top entertainment.
The sequel? Pants. Nasty, grubby, grey pants. I'm talking rip off standard. Virtually nothing in common with the original. Few decent tunes and weird story. Best avoided.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big let down., 21 Mar 2012
S. Legg - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
I don't understand the amazement with this production. For a musical to be popular it needs to look spectacular, have a good story line and have memorable songs. Sadly LND lacked this which is why I didn't like it. The only parts I liked were when they played songs from Phantom, which was only for a short time though. Selling my copy again, as I don't think I will be watching it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing purchase., 9 May 2012
We bought this thinking that if Andrew Lloyd Webber is involved it would have good music and be visually entertaining. In fact we found it dreary and slow, we ended up fast forwarding to the end in an attemt to find some thing of interest. We feel let down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful play, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the play in London, and it was absolutely AWFUL. An insult to the original and beautiful Phantom Of The Opera. Don't waste your money on this

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor reflection of the stage musical, 14 Dec 2012
Mrs. Helen Beck (Rotherham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the musical in London with Ramin & Sierra and Summer Strallen before it was rewritten and loved it, but this DVD is poor. Don't bother!!!! What a huge disappointment... Boo!

3.0 out of 5 stars love never dies, 12 April 2012
As we saw the show and loved it, were very dissapointed when we realised that it was an australian production, not a british one. Parts of the production were very poor and its a shame that you did not advertise, that it was NOT a british production.The voices were of no comparison to the show that we saw and loved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Never Dies, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
We were eagerly anticipating - Love Never Dies - the sequel to Phantom of the Opera. When the DVD arrived, we invited my brother and his wife around to share it with us.
The start wasn't at all inspiring, but to give the musical a chance we allowed it to run a bit longer, but after 20 minutes of awful non-melodic so-called singing, we could stand no more, and turned it off. It's nothing like the original musical.
There's no dialogue. Everything was sung tunelessly. The scenery was just a few screens stuck around the stage. Our local amateur dramatic society - Adur Theatre have done better. The only light relief? Instead of talking to each other, we sang the words in the same tuneless way.

4.0 out of 5 stars MECHANICAL GORILLA?, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
Where is The mechanical Guerilla in The Australian Production???
This was one of the highlights with 'the beauty underneath song' when shown at The Adelphi London throughout its run....
Very disappointing...

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 | Next ›

Love Never Dies [DVD]
Love Never Dies [DVD] by Simon Phillips (DVD - 2012)
5.94