4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Skin and Soft Centres
Call me fickle but I was attracted by the band's name.
I bought Black Veil Brides' debut album 'We Stich These
Wounds' on a whim. The promise of a little darkness can be
irresistible sometimes, especially when a full moon beckons!

These four young gentlemen and one damsel hail from
The City Of Angels, a metropolis enured to excess and...
Published on 24 July 2010 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars An good album at first
This was a band I stumbled on when they had only just released Knives and Pens, before the album was offically released, and I will admit I did really enjoy the album. However, as time passes, the songs do become a little boring, having owned the album since its release, I have to admit that it gets a little boring, however the sound is original. Just be pre-warned that...
Published 18 months ago by Chloe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Skin and Soft Centres, 24 July 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
Call me fickle but I was attracted by the band's name.
I bought Black Veil Brides' debut album 'We Stich These
Wounds' on a whim. The promise of a little darkness can be
irresistible sometimes, especially when a full moon beckons!

These four young gentlemen and one damsel hail from
The City Of Angels, a metropolis enured to excess and
the dangerous habits of successive lost generations.
I know little of their individual biographies but suspect
that, despite their aspirations and affection for all things
diabolic, they all have mothers who love them unconditionally.
(Serious haircuts and biker jackets are always a tell-tale sign!)

Andy Six sings; Jake Pitts plays guitar; so does Jinxx;
Ashley Purdy plays bass and Sandra Alva beats the drums.
Together they make a right royal racket but despite themselves
seem unable to suppress the urge to keep a good tune down!
There are quite a few of them lurking within the dozen tracks
delivered to us here, wrapped in butcher's paper and tied with
a blood-red bow. The titles give more than a hint of what you're
letting yourself in for even before you hit the play button.
'Beautiful Remains', 'The Mortician's Daughter', 'All Your Hate',
'Sweet Blasphemy'....you're probably getting the idea by now!
The thing is that depite these newcomers ploughing an already
well-worn furrow they win through by virtue of their convincing
energy and slightly campy halloween panache (the right side of
Glam, the wrong side of Metallica!!)

The ingredients are familliar : blistering guitar riffs (and a very
nice line in high speed twin-lead volleys); snarly/shouty vocal
interjections and machine-gun percussion (Ms Alva really does give
those skins a beating!) and big anthemic close-harmony choruses.
Front man Mr Six (really?!) has a fine voice; a sound, high-ranging
tenor which unerringly hits all the big top notes squarely in the middle.

'Knives and Pens' is a particulary good example of all those
elements coming together in one rip-roaring whole. 'Beautiful
Remains', too, deploys enough electrical power to light a small
Northern town for a month without recourse to the National Grid!
(Lostprophets came to mind for more than a moment).

There are more tranquil moments too. 'The Mortician's Daughter',
despite its somewhat sinister title, has rather a lovely tune
and a wonderfully misplaced (in this context) string arrangement.
They admirably resist the tempatation to crank up the volume and
the composition concludes just as tenderly as it began. Splendid!

I found myself particulary attracted to 'Never Give In'. In little
more than three minutes the band whips up a really impressive
maelstrom of sound. The resplendent cliches seem as fresh as a
daisy in their competent young hands! (I almost broke my air guitar!)

Final track 'Carolyn' brings the album to a nicely old-fashioned
conclusion. One again, even though we've heard its like at least
a hundred times before, Black Veil Brides' enthusiasm prevails
and they manage to inject tried and tested ideas with new blood.

Their Mothers must be proud!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums this year!, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
I only discovered Black Veil Brides about a month ago but I absolutely loved the song "Knives & Pens" when I came across it online. Some people might just write this band off as another Emo band, but no one can deny that this band have talent. Andy Six's vocals are fantastic he actually sings, very well too and yet is able to provide some top notch harsh vocals. Jake Pitts and Jinxx also provide backing vocals as well as some great guitar work and shredding some pretty cool solos and some pretty heavy riffs. Ashley Purdy's bass playing skills are something to take into account also and who can forget Christian "CC" Coma's drumming style, maybe not the kind that will blow you away but still savage in its own right. Some people may be thinkin 12 tracks what's the point? The truth is the 12 tracks are of good quality so this album is like all other albums should be a case of quality over quantity.

Most of the songs tend to begin with a scream and then jump into some nice harmonic vocals before launching into a very catchy yet emotional chorus so there is a formula here but truthfully you forget about it as soon as you're lost in the music as Eminem would say. Listening to this album has been a good experience and I have discovered some pretty boss songs here. "We Stitch These Wounds", "Beautiful Remains", "Perfect Weapon" and "Knives & Pens" are classic examples of the kind of stuff to expect from the band.

The album begins with a nice little introduction "The Outcasts (Call To Arms)" which jumps into the awesome "We Stitch These Wounds" which contains one of the catchiest choruses I have ever heard, we then roll into the great track "Beautiful Remains" by the time you're at track 5 "Perfect Weapon" you will be fully immersed within the album and will find it to be a consistent journey of Post-Hardcore music filled with class vocals, great guitar riff, nice ballads, emotional lyrics, catchy choruses and some pretty damn epic guitar solos. Overall this is a great album and will appeal to fans of Aiden, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine and probably even fans of Escape The Fate.

4.0 out of 5 stars BVB - Glam revival, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
These guys(?) can really play. Excellent guitar bits and some very nice tunes. It's a shame some of the songs are spoiled by overusing the growling vocals, which just don't go with the decently sung bits. Still, what do I know, I'm only an old fart who thinks 70's rock is the best. My 14 year-old daughter, however, thinks BVB are the new MCR, stating BVB are her religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars BVB - We Stitch These Wounds, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
I thought this album was awesome. BVB are a great band with loads of potential. I havent heard their new album - Set the World on Fire - but I'm sure they have come back with sooo much more than with this album... BVB ROCKS!!! :DD

5.0 out of 5 stars I <3 BVB, 1 July 2011
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
this cd is AWSOME!!! i love it and i highly recomend you buy it but this type of music is not to everyones taste so if i were you i would listen to Black Veil Brides on youtube or where ever before you buy the cd... :D

5.0 out of 5 stars We Stitch Thee Wounds, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
I love this album because Andy Sixx and the band have put some many feelings into it. Andy Sixx sings about things that have happened and things that are really and happen to a lot of us. I could listen to the album a million times and I would never get tired of it. Black Veil Brides I am a fan and I will always be a fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars we stitch these wounds (black viel brides), 20 May 2011
R. A. Dempsey "rossendale roy" (lancs uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
If this band dont go over to the pop/soft rock side ,then they certainly have the potential to make it very big.I do like their guitar work and some of the vocals.IM NOT SUGGESTING FOR ONE MINUTE THAT YOU SHOULD GO OUT AND BUY THE ALBUM,BUT KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND GIVE THEM A LISTEN.As for the band members ,i hope they dont neglect thier excellent music potential to concentrate too much on the look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Veil Brides are one of my favourite new bands!!!, 5 April 2011
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
When I first saw Black Veil Brides in Kerrang! magasine, I thought they would be just another new mediocre band that will have 15 minutes of fame then just disappear... How wrong I was! Black Veil Brides have taken the world by storm, and who can blame them! With their sick guitar solos (Jinxx and Jake Pitts), a bass line that can rumble the floors of your house (Ashley Purdy), strong drumming techniques (Christian Coma), and a frontman (Andy Sixx) who will stop at nothing to dominate the world, then they have nothing to lose! Their debut album (We Stitch These Wounds) embodies just how much they want to get to the top and how much they deserve to get to the top. Their single ("Perfect Weapon") is my personal favourite track on this album, but there are other strong favourites like "We Stitch These Wounds", "Knives and Pens" and "All Your Hate".

This album is a definate favourite for fans of Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold and Bring Me the Horizon (who the Brides will be joining at Download Festival in June).

4.0 out of 5 stars delightfully Surprised, 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
HATE, can be a harsh word and one that is used all too freely by most people today and I am no stranger to abusing the word.

Here's a band that can very easily be misjudged and disregarded as, like some have mentioned, just another emo band. That is how I saw them upon first giving them a try.
Initially the very first song that I heard from the album was their main single 'Knives and Pens', which I heard/ saw on youtube. At first sight I was one of those who ripped on the band by saying that they are just another in a long line of average bands. however, I had the fortune of seeing this band performing live at the exeter lemon grove in support of the Murderdolls and I was blown away by their energy and their ability to play well together. It's a breath of fresh air to actually come across a band that can be mainstream and appealing to a younger audience with their image and such, whilst still belting out some strong guitar work. (Oh what has happened to the guitar solo in recent years? ).

the performance made me order the album off of amazon, which arrived swiftly and has barely left my HIFI since it arrived. The sound of a PC just cannot do this band justice. Whilst Andy's Voice can be a little mainstream in it's appeal it is also quite soft at the appropriate moments and has a nice screaming edge at points too. I feel that his voice has this really strange quality as it sounds as if he is actually a foreigner whose second language is english, but I don't see this as a negative.

The guitars come together well to create some strong riffs with some fast paced licks thrown in here and there. Fortunately these never feel as though they've just been tacked on because a guitarist wanted to perform a solo (that goes out to a horrible HIM song that was a single some years back)

I'm really pleased with this package and I look forward to where their next album might go. Whilst I remain quietly nervous of a possible softer, more mainstream album as a follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black veil brides, 29 Dec 2010
Margaret White "book eagle" (Lanarkshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Stitch These Wounds (Audio CD)
Here is a young band that deserve more recognition here in the UK.
This album shows their sound off very well and rocks.
Would recommend it to fans of Blackout, MCR, etc.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›