on 11 December 2011
Johnny Ball is probably the single most important reason why I managed to get on with maths and science at school. His brilliant TV programmes showed the wonder of numbers and what our manipulation of them can produce as well as bringing to life the amazing historical characters we have to thank for this progress. And I still love corny, word-play jokes (there are a few in this book). Ball of Confusion is classic Johnny Ball. Written in his inimitable style - you can very much hear his voice in your head as you read - this book is a collection of puzzles and such like, which are a great deal of fun. Sure, there are a couple in here I've come across before but Johnny still manages to give them a JB twist. And what I particularly like is that he doesn't just give the answers - he explains them and often you learn a whole lot more. Brilliant for anyone who likes a mental exercise and challenge. Johnny, I wish you were still on TV.
on 31 December 2012
I downloaded this interesting book to my Kindle. It has some interesting facts, puzzles and problems etc. But the explanations are scattered further on in the book and the Kindle does not really lend itself to moving back and forth looking for the answers. However as a book I found it very interesting and enjoyable.
on 13 October 2014
This is a really interesting book, but unfortunately no good for the Kindle. Its full of puzzles but the ansers are all at the end of the book so you constantly have to flip back and forth, which isn't easy on a kindle
on 7 April 2016
A great book for stimulating the grey cells! Also interspersed with enough jokes to lighten the tone.
It is reassuring that I can at least answer some of the puzzles correctly; although the questions aren't always so easily answered.
After reading some of the reviews regarding the Kindle Format, I'm glad that I bought the paperback version, as there is, understandably, a lot of searching back and forth to check.
Recommended.
on 11 December 2013
I have enjoyed this book a lot, and the terrible puns remind me of when he was on TV (in a good way). I would give it five stars, except for a couple of the puzzles where I was not sure that the solutions were actually correct, or would query whether the question is precise enough to lead to that particular solution. But very good fun, and his personality comes across which is very welcome.
on 13 October 2014
not suitable to read as a kindle book - need to be able to turn easily to the solution of puzzles.
on 4 June 2013
This is going to give my child lots of fun reading and testing out the different problems and how to solve them.thanks
on 6 July 2013
A charming puzzle book
This will keep you entertained for hours
Turn of the TV and give it a go
on 17 September 2014
Great puzzles but totalltyspoilt by having the answers at the back of the book - lousy for Kindle.
on 19 September 2014
Excellent entertainment and tests the brain cells at the same time.
Terry