5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, honest and touching
I LOVE Lee Evans, I always have and do even more so now,
Really touching,honest and kind, A real reflection behind the funny man the relationship between him and his wife is lovely & so very genuine.
Brought me to tears a couple of times and made me laugh too.
Published on 6 Oct. 2011 by C

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs A Sequel
Sorry Lee, your a very funny guy on stage and I am a huge fan, but this book is a bit of a let down. The book goes through the story of his child hood living on a Council Estate with his family and going around the country to watch his dad perform stand up.

Lee name drops a few famous people he has met and talk about meeting his wife and living in Scarbrough...
Published 2 months ago by Stu (PSN: Funeral-Bringer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, honest and touching, 6 Oct. 2011
C "readaholic" (FARNBOROUGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I LOVE Lee Evans, I always have and do even more so now,
Brought me to tears a couple of times and made me laugh too.
The only thing I would say is that I would've liked to have heard more about the early days, tours, when Molly was born etc.
Thanks Lee :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your normal biography, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
A funny read that is well written and not the normal type of biography you'd expect from someone like Lee. I feel like I know him a lot better now! I bought it for myself and think I'll be getting another copy for my brother for Christmas (unless I can get away with passing on my copy...).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Lee Evans!, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
What a lovely man! I thought that I knew a lot about Lee Evans but reading his story written in his own words is very different from watching him on TV. He is so geniune and so humble. I really enjoyed reading his book and getting to know the real person behind the cheeky smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LEE EVANS, LOVE THIS BOOK, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
If you're a big fan of Lee Evans obviously you'll love this book, but even if you're not there's no way you could fail to be engrossed in this moving, captivating and hilarious account of how he came to be the performer he is today. Every bit as funny on the page as he is on the stage! (oops, rhyme!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, tragic and everywhere in between, 23 May 2012
Rory Q (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
So this obviously isn't going to be an entirely objective review, as I'm a loyal fan of Lee Evans and consider him one of the greatest stand up comedians of all time.

What Lee offers us here is very honest window into his mind and his memories and he comes across a lot like he does in interviews - very humble, very sharp-witted and maybe with a touch of naïveté, which makes this an at time hilarous and at times touching read.

We get Lee's life from basically conception through to the moment where he starts the journey to stardom, and with absolutely no trace of arrogance throughout. I personally loved the stories he told about his early life and what made him the person he is today, and I was impressed by his story telling ability, bringing a lot of the situations to life with vivid, almost "you-are-there" descriptions - one particular accident he has involving a stick and his eye comes instantly to mind!

The absolute highlight for me is one of the final stories he tells of how what should've been a fairly simple singing act at a talent contest suddenly turns into a sequence of errors, mistakes and accidents. The mental images he managed to conjure up in my mind had me sniggering like a fool while I was reading it on the bus!

I noted a couple of reviewers aren't happy with the fact he focused almost primarily on his personal life and didn't really venture much into the Lee Evans we all know as the comic, musician and actor, even going so far as to (perhaps cynically) suggest that it this book is setting up a sequel. While I was a little disappointed at first that we never got a first person perspective of what it was like to take those daunting steps into stardom and how that has affected his life, I was more than satisfied with the "working class kid makes good" that Lee gave us, and at risk of over-egging the pudding, I was impressed with the sheer honesty and open nature with which he recounts his life. To some degree, I'm glad this wasn't a list of "I did this, then I did that, and I was great" as sometimes this is what you get from autobiographies.

If this book was to set up a sequel, then all I can say is "bring it on!". I feel like we've got to know Lee the Person from this book, and I'm holding out hope that we also get to see Lee the Celebrity and World Record Holder up close and personal in a future book.

Highly recommended to any fan of Lee Evans if you want to know the man behind the funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Save the best till last...in an odd sort of way., 1 Dec. 2011
JB (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
Intro
Just to set the scene, I became a fan of Lee Evans in about 2003. I was introduced to old DVD's by a friend and went to see Lee in Newcastle during the XL tour (to me his best tour). I went to Big and Roadrunner and Lee became someone who could always make me laugh. I wanted to know more about this sweaty, non-stop comedian.

About the Book (Spoils book a bit)
I bought the book and expected the same fun and laughter I came across sitting in the audience during one of his tours (Kind of like Russell Brands 'Booky Wook'). I split the book into thirds. The first two thirds of the book I found hard to read. Very depressing. It sets you up as Lee always making a fool of himself for attention and sacrificing respect. Tied in with tales about certain moments in lift about his brother and/or dad. Not the fun, entertaining Lee I got to know at arean's. Then the book changed. Lee tries to sort his life out; for himself and Heather. Not wanting to play the fool anymore but somehow falling into that trap of being one. You begin to really feel his pain and his drive for some good luck to come his way. In this final third part of the book it becomes very difficult to put down. Like anyone seeking a bit of good luck, you keep going (it does come in the end). It's at that final part of the book that you understand that the first 66% of the book was a set up to get you in the right frame of mind for what I believe is the most important part of the book. It's then that you understand this book is amazing. Very well written. You really get to know Lee, and at key moments in the book (in the cafe) you can see what is coming but understand why Lee can't.

It's safe to say that I will never see him in the same light ever again. This guy was really down low as low can be, but managed to pull himself out of it. Not with qualifications, experience or skills but with drive and determination. Something we can all learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars LEE EVANS The life of lee, 7 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
Im a huge fan of lee evans,i loved this book and could not put it down,it had me laughing out loud,also quite sad in parts,lee is a very hard worker,but as the saying goes behind every good man is a good woman ,which you will realise when you read this book,makes me love lee even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 6 Dec. 2011
Sj Sullivan (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
I have been a big fan of Lee Evans for many years. Why? Because of his sheer brilliance on stage projecting comedy around everyday situations. So I was pleased to learn about this book and bought it immediately. I was not disapointed in any way. I read that Lee sweated blood in the writing of it and I must say he has done a great job. He takes us through his early years with such honesty, yet admitting his many failures and his struggles in life. Its full of humour and his childhood antics which I was able to relate to. Its a very easy read with reasonable sized chapters which only begs you to read on and on.The book finishes with his win of a talent contest, which begs the question, why did he call it the 'The Life of Lee' when he was only just getting his first break? Well, I am pleased it stopped there because (hopefully) Lee with continue with another book or two in the near future and continue his story from a self-confessed failure to one of the greatest stand-up comedians of our time. I recently had the pleasure of meeting Lee at a book signing in Hatfield and can honestly say that he is a very genuine person.Recommended without no hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars heartwarming and hilarious, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Hardcover)
This is such a heartwarming story of Lee's rise to fame - his relationship with his wife and the early years are described with a huge amount of warmth. And genuinely laugh-out-loud, fall-of-your-chair funny in places too! Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best autobiography's I have read, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Life of Lee (Paperback)
I read some of these reviews when I was halfway through the book and was ready to be outraged that 'The Life of Lee' ends when the journey we know just began, but that, I realise, is the point. You read an autobiography because you want to know how people got to where they are - what were the life defining moments and this book has those in spades. How truly moving that someone from such a tough background has achieved what they have and most moving & touching of all to have shared it, from those humble beginnings, with the love of his life - Heather. I was a big fan before, but now I have even more respect for both of them. One final point - I'll be interested to see whether Lee does write another book about the rest of his life, the life we all know, or is there a chance that the 'behind the scenes' life of one of the most successful comedians in the world is not as glamorous as we think. Also I'm always reassured that people like Lee remind us that life isn't about celebrity, but about more important things, more within our grasp, like love.