Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 29 June 1999
This book has it all and has stood the test of time. Based on history and the Arthurian legend, it has enough in it of the legend to form a framework but then departs enough to allow twists and turns and a stunning last page that makes you rush out and buy the next in the series. This is a quickly read book but that does not mean it lacks substance. Gods, immortals, witches, magic, Atlantis, Excalibur its all there and if that doesnt make you want this book then....you know the rest!
on 8 September 2000
David Gemmell proves himself as the best fantasy fiction writer in the world today yet again. As always, this book is enthralling, brilliant, and impossible to put down. More than the usual "Good vs Evil" fantasy fiction tales, this one makes you think, involves you in the story, forces you to form an opinion that you might not expect. A must read for all fantasy fans.
on 1 September 2014
I was first introduced to Gemmell by way of the Jon Shannow novels, but at the time I didn't realise they were part of a larger series of books that deal with Sipstrassi stomes.

Ghost King is the first in this series and is set in a version of Britain at the time of the Roman invasion. The story has been repeated many times over the years, a weak Prince is suddenly made King and must face his own fears in order to rule his people against a coming war. What really makes this book stand out from the rest is the unique way in which Gemmell has woven real history, well known myth and his own creations.

Sipstrassi enables it's user to create anything, he is only bound by his own imagination but the stones themselves have a limited power and change colour each time they are used. Once a stone is empty it can be repowered using blood, however these stones are no longer able to be used for a number of things (including the making of food) and are therefore more likely to be used for wrongdoing. Tied in closely with Arthurian legend this book really does have a bit of everything and although I can't say it was as good as the Shannow novels, it would still be a perfect introduction to the author.

The only point that slightly disappointed me was that whenever a character would mention something that they had seen or were warned about you could pretty much guarantee it would appear within a few pages (I hope we don't meet a vampire.... oh look here comes one now), this did take away a little bit of the surprise.

A brilliant book and I can't wait to read the next one 'Last Sword of Power'.
on 21 December 2013
Another great book by the fantastic David Gemmell. Every time I read or re-read one of his books I come away with a sense of sadness that he is no longer with us to write books and share his wonderful imagination and talent.
on 26 February 2000
Gemmel has avoided the major pitfall of the Arthur legend - that we all know the tragedy of the end. A good story, and a human hero who could give rise to some of the Arthur legends. Wonderful story-telling of course.
on 9 March 2012
I started reading David gem ell books a year ago. I found the writer so good and fascinating plus exciting,not the type I would normally read. that I have actually read his whole series.The best reading for keeping you interestied from start to finish. I was so sad to learn that this writer had passed away.It was a privilege to have had the opportunity to read all his brilliant books. Thank you David Gemmell for many hours of great reading.
on 2 June 2013
No spoilers just a nice blend of magical fantasy an legend. I love gemmell books and wasn't disappointed. You might argue I have wasted one of the few sunny Sunday's we are likely to get, but I disagree. Time well spent by anyone who hates a happy ending.
on 21 March 2011
of course its good, its gemmell, he doesn't write a bad book. if you like gemmell or if you want to introduce someone to fantasy, this; or any of his books are the one [s] to do it with. enjoy.
on 19 May 2014
Another of the epic sipstrassi stone stories although a stand alone and an alternative view to the creation of the legendary King Arthur and his knights of the round table
on 2 January 2013
The writing is a touch clumsy, but I really enjoyed it. The pure fantasy of the Arthurian theme was epic and at the end I was thoroughly entertained.