5.0 out of 5 stars The most pain to buy a book ever, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Rubicon (Kindle Edition)
How to review? I bought this whilst in the US (for a wedding) as it wasn't available in Europe.
I then had endless threats from Amazon about deleting it from my device etc. for daring to buy it from the US site whilst in the US.

The book was, as usual from Stephen excellent but I read it so quickly fearing it would be deleted from my device that it was spoiled for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip to ancient Rome with excellent companions!, 23 Oct 2012
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rubicon (Paperback)
Generally I don't get on well with historical novels. The ancient world is my hobby, and I'm geekish enough to get annoyed at the many ways the writers get things wrong. I tried several of the big-name writers who set their yarns in the Roman Empire, and they left me cold.

So now I usually avoid these things like the plague, and I can't even remember why on earth I ever picked up my first Steven Saylor novel.

However, once I started the first in the 'Roma sub Rosa' series I was hooked almost instantly. When I read one of these, I don't just feel that I've read a cracking detective story (which I have); I don't just feel that I've spent time in the company of characters that I like and truly care about (which I have); I also feel almost as if I've had a trip to the ancient Mediterranean, and seen the sights, smelt the smells, tasted the food...

I'm not quite sure how Saylor pulls it off. In terms of historical accuracy, he really knows his stuff, and it shows - he's even inclined to add a little afterword to tell you where he's departed from fact in the interests of the drama.

I think the answer is simply that he's a top-notch story-weaver who would excel in whatever genre he chose. I'm just glad that he chose Ancient Rome.

Highly recommended, as is anything else by this writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Addition to the Series, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rubicon (Kindle Edition)
For those of you who are already addicted to the Roma Sub Rosa series, this is another great episode. For those of you yet to have the pleasure, I urge you to read the series in order, as they really do combine to create a fantastic over-arching story.
This episode tells another great story - a bit slow at first - with a surprise that I, at least, did not see coming. Each book further develops the main characters: by this book, we know them quite well, but they can still throw up new traits.
The way the author fits his stories into real history is well-handled, and his writing is intelligent and subtle. Unfortunately I have to say that there were far too many spelling and grammatical errors in this kindle edition, but this seems so common these days it hardly seems worth complaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fetching!, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Rubicon (Paperback)
A well written crime story from classical Rome full of interresting and acurate details. it is one of the shorter books in the Roma sub Rosa serie but also delightfully free of stuffing. Can recomend to anybody, who is interrested classical Rome and it would propably be an advantage to have read some of the other books in this serie.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Rubicon (Kindle Edition)
This is another book that provides a great insight into Roman culture and life of the time with the added bonus of keeping the reader amused and interested. Good storyline

5.0 out of 5 stars Saylor never disappoints, 6 July 2013
P. J. Ruffell (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubicon (Kindle Edition)
Another excellent tale of Gordianus The Finder, full of atmosphere and intrigue. Reading one of these novels is like being there back in ancient times. As a 'whodunnit' it's very good, as an historical novel of those turbulent times, it's pretty damn good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 July 2014
Arrived promptly

5.0 out of 5 stars Gordianus strikes again, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rubicon (Kindle Edition)
I brought the books in paperback version initially, now I've got them on my kindle. Great story lines and a rip roaring read, you feel you're part of Roman history. Love the diverse family and the plots woven around historical events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intrinsic part of the sub Rosa series, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rubicon (Kindle Edition)
This book should be read in order within the sub Rosa series. have enjoyed them all. Shame the order of the series is not more obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rubicon The Eighth Gordianus Novel., 17 Dec 2013
The Eighth Gordiaanus novel Rubicon is another book that is recommended
Eleven books in the series.
You need to start with The Seven Wonders, when he is a young man.

Rubicon