Flavour Name: Chicken with Brown Rice|Change

on 10 January 2014
My one female cat will only eat this food. I have had a subscription to buy this food on Amazon for the past couple of years. Prior to that I had to buy it from Sainsbury's. The quality until now has always been incredible.
In the last 3 boxes that I have had delivered there is a LOT more water in the pouches and much less fish. The pouch used to be absolutely packed. Now it is loose and full of moisture. My cat used to have half in the morning and half in the evening and then dry food. Now I really need to give her a pouch in the morning and again the evening to give her the same quantity.

This appears to be the classic "lessen the quality/quantity but still charge the same"?
I'm hugely disappointed and will take this further.
66 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2014
Encore appear to have changed the quality of their once wonderful cat food which both my cats adored. Where once the packet was filled solid with fish literally...the pouch was solid to the touch. Now the pouch feels squishy and I am easily able to move the contents around the packet without opening it as there is now a lot of liquid within it. When the packet is opened the amount of cat food compared to the original packets is noticeably reduced and where there was little or no noticeable liquid, I can now pour out the excess liquid.

I returned one box to Encore before Christmas because of this noticeable difference in the quality of their product and they replaced them free of charge. In an email reply from Encore I was told and I quote 'I will send your email to our Technical Director and ask for his comments, however, he has gone to France on business today and won't be back in the office until Monday next week. Could I ask you to bear with us until then when I am sure someone will contact you'. No-one ever got back to me about the quality difference and, it would appear for me at least, that the only product available for me to purchase from the shops since my initial complaint to Encore is this reduced quality product and now it is appears to be the same even on Amazon (batch number A86QUW).

I have tried contacting the company again to ask if this is now the new standard and they have ignored my emails. This is not a cheap product but was until the recent changes exceptionally good value and quality, particularly for cats with sensitive tummies.

At this moment in time I am really not a happy customer and certainly not happy with the product changes or the companies refusal to answer my emails.

If I could have given no stars, I would but Amazon does not allow that.
on 30 January 2014
This premium cat food has gone down hill. It seems that Encore has had a profit drive, it seems that the packs are no longer packed with meat, but now appears to have about 20% fluid. My cat certainly no longer enjoys his Encore pouches, and I am left looking for suitable alternatives. Poor show from Encore.
on 22 December 2013
I would have given this product a 5 star till the last month . It had been the best sachet food and my cat loved it . Then they seem to have decided to change the recipe :( now it's a soggy low meat mix , not so pleasant aroma either. My cat was sick twice after eating it. I decided to try again as maybe it was a " bad batch " so bought some from the supermarket .....just the same :( Order cancelled.
on 30 January 2014
This was my go to pouch food for my cat, the most expensive in the supermarket. My cat loved tha chicken and rice pouch, and although dear, it was packed with meat, and little fluid. It seems that the recent price offers on this is related to a recipe change, which has seen a increase in fluid and decrease in the meat, to me it looks like 20% of the pack is now fluid, whereas it used to be 5-10%. Whatever this fluid is - it no longer agrees with my cat, who will eat half a pack, before throwing it up again. Very disappointed that Encore have put profit before quality of their product.
on 31 October 2012
Cats are notoriously difficult and mine seems to have acquired a sensitive stomach as he has aged. Very difficult to feed as he goes off the same food every day. However seem to have cracked it by giving him Encore Chicken and Brown rice five days a week and to stop the boredom setting in I give him a marinade from Felix every two or three days. For the moment it works and he seems much better.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2014
The cat absolutely ADORES these pouches. In that respect alone, it deserves the extra two stars and then some - I've no doubt at all that if the cat was writing the review nothing else would matter.

Unfortunately, I am the one doing the writing.

First of all, the pouch is not easy to use. This would seem to defeat the entire object of pouches - it's hard to undo, the flap you tear doesn't come away easily and the food doesn't come out of the pouch without being scraped with a spoon. That's all irritating.

Second negative point is the price. Now I know that other cat foods are dearer, but my cat eats about 350g of food daily. That's at least four pouches a day, or as much as I spend on food for myself per day. NOT cheap.

So, to sum up, I buy it regularly and the cat adores it.
I hate the stuff!
on 11 December 2013
I buy this for my old cat, Timbertwig as she's a picky eater but needs to keep weight on as she's got a thyroid problem. She always eats it up. The whitebaits are about 1 1/2" long but Tim gets them down even though she's only got one tooth.
on 8 February 2014
this food used to be great, really meaty, fairly dry and packed tight into the pouch. Encore have now changed the recipe however and now produce for the same money, a sloppy, runny, slightly smelly product where most of the weight seems to be made up of water. Worse, my cat doesn't like it. Bad move Encore, we'll be looking for another brand
on 12 November 2014
Looks like real chicken. Very high meat content so the cat doesn't need as much as they would with the more usual brands, so although it's expensive, the cheaper ones are usually a false economy as you need more to fill them up. A bit like us having croissants for breakfast. Doesn't stink or attract flies that lay eggs in it in the summer. Mind you, the cat doesn't leave it long enough to find out as he is very greedy and gobbles a whole pouch in mere moments. Sometimes he tricks us into each giving him a pouch in quick succession, both of us thinking (and being fooled into believing) he hasn't been fed. So I guess he really loves it. Which is what's most important here than my opinion, right? I have not tasted it. But it smells fine.