4.0 out of 5 stars Original, unique, collection of horror - excellent!
Published 18 months ago by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag
This anthology contains contributions by some of the best known modern horror writers, but strangely I found their offerings the weakest of the collection.

I am a great fan of King, Campbell and Lindqvist, and have read nearly everything they have produced, so I was really looking forward to reading their stories. The story by Stephen King failed to grip,...
Published 23 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, unique, collection of horror - excellent!, 3 Jan 2013
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Kindle Edition)
Have to say I was bowled over by some of these stories and, yes, I'd willingly agree with other reviewers who point the way to "The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer" by John Ajvide Lindqvist as being the best of the bunch however; "Charcloth, Firesteel and Flint" by Caitlin R. Kiernan is possibly the most unique and original. I'm particulalry impressed that A Book of Horrors features several female writers, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Angela Slatter, Lisa Tuttle & Elizabeth Hand who are all new to me and bring a breath of fresh air to the horror genre. That old stalwart of everything twisted and surreal, of course I'm talking Mr. Stephen King, starts off the collection with his own short story "The Little Green God of Agony" and it's Stephen King at his best; a tried and tested formula, possession and exorcism, given his own unique twist with darkly, horrible, comic undertones. Some of the stories are long and some, "Tell Me I'll See You Again by Dennis Etchison" for instance, shorter and perfect for a quick read when you only have limited time. There's a contribution from each author as they explain where they found the inspiration for their indiviudal stories and an introduction by Stephen Jones. Obviously, I found a couple of the stories disappointing, that's always going to happen with a collection by such diverse authors, but I can honestly say that it's worth spening money on the download just for the King and Lindqvist contributions and, who knows, like me you might find yourself introduced to a new writer you'll want to read in the future.

Contents:-

Last Words - Richard Christian Matheson

5.0 out of 5 stars A nest of nightmares., 5 Sep 2012
M. Crossman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Hardcover)
Stephen Jones is the editor of the long running horror anthology series "Best New Horror" published by Robinson and here he produces a book to rival, and possibly beat those books for Jo Fletcher publishers.

Jones opens the book with a short introduction entitled "Whatever Happened To Horror". It's an enjoyable 'rant' which I fully agree with and bodes well for the rest of the book.

Directly following on from the introduction is the master of horror Stephen King and from there the quality of the book rarely dips. Of course with a volume of this size (427 pages) and this many stories (14) there are likely to be one or two that don't quite hit the spot but generally each tale is worth reading and, as you would expect from authors such as Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, John Ajivde Lindqvist, Lisa Tuttle, Michael Marshall Smith, the quality of writing is very good indeed.

As the nights draw in and one's thoughts turn to October and inevitably Halloween you could do a lot worse than have this on your dressing table to read before finally turning in for the night. Be warned. I cannot suggest that sleep will come easily afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love horror, buy it!, 27 Jun 2012
S. Emmett (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Hardcover)
I'll admit that I'm not a lover of anthologies. I own several, including Robert Aickman's Cold Hand in Mine and Ramsey Campbell's Superhorror. I've had those some years and still haven't read all the stories in them. I always prefer to read a novel by a writer I like or have just discovered. A Book of Horrors is, I must say, a hefty slab in hardback and has a splendidly creepy cover, but I have been skirting around it for longer than I should. Not for the first time in my life, I've been a fool.

This collection of short stories, edited by Stephen James and published by Jo Fletcher Books assembles original works from no fewer than fourteen accomplished horrorists. The list includes Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell, Peter Crowther, Robert Shearman and John Ajvide Linqvist.

Now, it's no secret chez moi that I'm a Lindqvist fan. I have loved everything he's ever written. So it was his contribution that I went to first. The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer is a splendidly chilling tale, and one of which Lindqvist himself says "It might be the one story I have written that has scared me the most......I wrote on in a state of mild but constant horror...It was a relief when it was over."

For me, quite unashamedly, A Book of Horrors is well worth having just for the Lindqvist contribution, but I'd be doubly foolish to overlook all of the others that sit so well with it between these superbly crafted covers. To have so many of the best horror writers of our day to dip in and out of makes for a must-have book.

The big surprise is the introduction from editor Stephen Jones, to my mind, a work of genius in itself. To quote from it:

"What the Hell happened to the horror genre?...These days our bloodsuckers are more likely to show their romantic nature, werewolves work for government organisations, phantoms are private investigators and the walking dead can be found sipping tea amongst the polite society of a Jane Austen novel.....Today we are living in a world that is 'horror-lite'...This appalling appellation was coined by publishers to describe the type of fiction that is currently enjoying massive success under such genres as 'paranormal romance', 'urban fantasy', 'literary mash-up' or even 'steampunk'...these books are not aimed at readers of traditional horror stories."

Thank heavens - or maybe Hell - that someone knows what we really want.

A Book of Horrors. 5 stars from me. Buy it - if only for the introduction!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good but a couple of average tales, 29 Sep 2013
P. Bate (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Kindle Edition)
Very good collection of short stories, some of which are excellent & only a couple that aren't quite at the same standard.

Kicking off with Stephen King's 'The Little Green God Of Agony' and ending with Richard Christian Matheson's 'Last Words' there is something in this book for every horror fan.

My personal favourites (aside from 'The Little Green God Of Agony') are 'The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer' by John Ajvide Lindqvist and 'Near Zennor' by Elizabeth Hand.

A couple of the others seem a little rushed & just as the tale gets really interesting it ends which is a shame as they could have gone so much further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Anthology of Horror, 19 Nov 2011
J. Everington (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Hardcover)
There are some great stories in this, both from some big names in the field (King, Campbell, Lindqvist - his first story for the English market, and truly creepy and then horrific) but more excitingly for me from some writers unknown to me. I'll certainly be checking out more stuff by Dennis Etchison, Robert Shearman, and Anglea Slatter.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT HORROR!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Kindle Edition)
From the first page to the last, there are exceptional stories in this volume. Many styles from the various authors which makes for a wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King, 6 April 2014
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Kindle Edition)
What can I say? As soon as I see Stephen King I know I'm in for a treat and he has never let me down yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book of Horrors, 19 Mar 2014
M. E. Grace - See all my reviews
Good tales.

Will look for similar collection. Good to read selection of work of unfamiliar authors. Have to check out their other works.

MG

4.0 out of 5 stars a book of horrors is a good read, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Kindle Edition)
i like it because they are short stories to read before going to sleep at night i recommnd it to everyone who likes horror stories

5.0 out of 5 stars see if it can scare ya, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Kindle Edition)
very scary read it will make you check all those dark corners when going to bed but i hope you sleep well

A Book of Horrors