5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read
I enjoyed reading the authors story, and was fascinated by his life experiences, especially his time in Afghanistan. This man has seen it all and done it all, from Palestine, Iraq and Afghanistan, to tackling Somali Pirates and getting close and personal with terrorist organisations. This is A GREAT READ AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.
Published 21 months ago by Scott Sanders

2.0 out of 5 stars Born Bragger
Published on 23 Nov. 2011 by jimmymac

2.0 out of 5 stars Born Bragger, 23 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Born Fearless: From Kids' Home to SAS to Pirate Hunter - My Life as a Shadow Warrior (Kindle Edition with Audio/Video)
I am an ex-3Para and saw active service in Suez in the fifties. I also managed and trained professional boxers. I have young friends still working in security in Iraq and with the SAS so I know a thing or two about hard men. I bought this book because I still enjoy learning about other peoples experiences in this area. Whilst "Big Phil" may well have been a soldier and a securty guard, he depicts himself as a cross between Superman, King Kong and Mike Tyson and his descriptions, from someone who has been-there-done-that, do not ring true. He has gone OTT and spoiled what could have been an interesting Autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 29 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Only one problem with this book - it ended!!, 31 Jan. 2014
I was given a hardback copy of 'Born Fearless' as a birthday present and I had never heard of Big Phil Campion. I'm very glad that I have now.
This is a very well written and 'pulls np punches' book which is based on part of the life story of the author. It is direct and I felt as if Big Phil was telling me the story in person. There are no airs and graces and he is candid about what he has done - good and bad.
A thoroughly good read which I found difficult to put down. I have read a few reviews and it seems some people don't believe the words - isn't that what makes it all the more exciting? I'm sure that the author would have been villified by now if it wasn't true.
My only critiscism is that the book concentrates on the 'missions' as a private security operative and only touches on Phil's early life, and his time in the SAS. Only so much space, I suppose?? I really hope that he writes another book on his life and delves into those aspects more.
All in all, this is a great book and a very enjoyable read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 9 Feb. 2012
Should have taken heed of the previous one star review! Found the book boring with no real mention of active service or action! More a tale of the authors sad upbringing and clashes with authority! For those interested in literature about the circuit, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, my advice is don't bother with it! Certain bits I would also take with a pinch of salt! Certainly does not merit anything over one star, I feel that those other readers who have done so must have read a different book!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoots wide of the target!, 9 Aug. 2012
Knowing a few retired Para's as I do I thought I'd buy this for a page turning beach read nevertheless a third of the way through the book I didn't know whether to bury the book in the sand or toss it into the sea! Big Phil certainly had a tough upbringing and difficult childhood but the narrative was rather erratic and lacking in detail. A colourful career presented itself to Big Phil on leaving the army from diamond minder in Abu Dhabi to minding the Afghan Ambassador and escapades in Gazza, Irag and protecting ships from Somali pirates. Where it lacked was Phil's time in the army and his selection into the SAS which was glossed over and it was almost as if he left immediately he passed the selection test! His attitude to the Royal Military Police, time in the brig for fighting and his Commanding officers reports shouldn't have got him anywhere near Hereford. The story of Big Phil's mate threatening to smash the TV screen with pool balls in a sock because he thought someone stole his sunglasses should have been attributed to the film Scum rather than a tale taking on everyone in a busy pub. Missed the target by a wide margin

4.0 out of 5 stars Revealing!, 19 May 2013
Excellent read. Well written and once you have started you don't want to put it down. An amazing story of hardships and achievements with a bit of humour thrown in too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and well written, 2 May 2013
A great writing style and the audio with the photos was amusing to count the f#@"s per commentary. This guy is an animal! A great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Andy McNab must be a mate, 27 Oct. 2013
Have read pretty much everything out there on Iraq and Afghanistan combat. Thought I would see what the private operator was all about. With Andy McNab's big-up comments, 'One of the best first-hand accounts of life in combat ever written', I looked forward to it. A bit of a let down and only gets three stars because the book gives you a fair insight into life in danger areas without a battalion supporting you. Makes too much of too little (sorry). Currently reading another private contractor book - James Ashcroft 'Making a Killing' - should have got this first as its a far, far better read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Born Fearless by Phil Campion, 6 April 2015
I borrowed this book from the library and my husband noticed it. he asked me if I was enjoying the book, then commented that he had come across "big"Phil Campion during his time in the military. It was interesting to hear his comments about the author who portrays himself as all but invincible. He is certainly a military veteran and served as a soldier in the regular Armed Forces as well as the elite British special forces, the SAS (Special Air Service) in many hazardous areas of the world. He has since worked as a military operator, and as a mercenary. He remains involved in the private military circuit in a number of capacities and, when he is not working abroad, lives in Southampton, England.

Born Fearless, is Phil Campion’s brutally honest story, from his difficult start in life and his journey into military operations. Campion was abandoned at birth but his adoptive parents were abusive so the author was taken into care and lived in children's homes for most of his childhood. Unsurprisingly, Campion left school as early as he could. He was 16, had no qualifications and opted to join the army. There is little doubt that had he not done this, the author could have put his intellect, bravery and organisational skills to alternative uses on the other side of the law.

I had never read a book like Born Fearless before. Some of the accounts of the dangerous situations the author encountered seemed more like scenes from movie fiction than real life. However, I am reliably informed that Campion would have no need to exaggerate, given the war zones and dangerous parts of the world in which he served in the military and later worked in on the private circuit. Born Fearless is a fascinating account of life on that private circuit by one of those right on the circuit's razor edge. Anyone who follows international affairs to even a basic degree would be aware of the existence of private military operations in places like Afghanistan. But we rarely hear anything about how these operators actually work.
In the book it soon becomes clear that gets easily bored by the regular and the mundane so Campion found his place in the elite forces, culminating in the SAS. This proved a good background to allow him to enter the private military circuit. Born Fearless gives little away about the way the SAS are trained or operate but provides a good account of life on the circuit that Campion joined after leaving the forces. I enjoyed that and found the adventures and exploits exciting. They were all the more fascinating because they were real. At times I did find myself wondering about Campion's sanity. He was operating in a hugely dangerous environment and he loved it!

Born Fearless is a fascinating account of an aspect of life that very few of us will ever see, with action, humour and humanity. If you enjoy either thriller or adventure genre novels, I recommend this book to you: but this one is real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, unintentionally funny!, 28 Jun. 2013
If you like military/special forces memoirs you'll love this. I've read hundreds of these type of books and many of the authors come across as being too serious and formulaic, dedicating many chapters of the book on the hell of selection etc. This book skims over that and gets stuck in pretty quickly. The author comes across as a bit of a maverick and at times I was crying with laughter. I would recommend this to anyone!