on 24 June 2012
I was looking for some speakers around the £300 mark that would provide a nice 5.1 output & after reading many reviews i decided to settle on these.
I have put them with a Denon AVR 1612 and so far im really impressed with them. The speakers are very small and come with wall mounts so are ideal for smaller room setups, the bass box is huge and provides nice bass for that cinema feel (make sure you buy a decent cable for the bass as these are more important than speaker cable when doing a 5.1 setup, i opted for QED Profile Precision, Subwoofer Cable)

Ive got my system hooked up to my PC & PS3, blu ray films are amazing and its important to match the system up with good quality media, low quality MP3 are much more noticeable than with a cheaper system so go for FLAC (audio) and BluRay if you can, they will not disappoint.

The audio stays very good at high volume with no hissing etc, i live in a shared house so havent had an opportunity to pump up the volume to much :(

Just remember that you will need to fit your own speaker cable to these ( ) this cable fits the speakers and works well, they are a tight fit but no real problem and a great price.

Overall im very impressed with this product and they are great value for money.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2014
I found above Boston speakers package with other separates, to be much more worth investing than buying popular "all in one" system. Why? First of all, if something breaks down after warranty, you may replace ONLY the broken blu-ray player/speaker/receiver in your system, instead of throwing the whole thing away. Secondary, due to its far superior sound quality in my personal opinion.

Don't take me wrong, if you are looking for main system to play music, these speakers are not the best choice for money. However, if you want quality home cinema system and not planning to spend a lot, these speakers are worth considering. Especially, that it comes with matching wall brackets, which might be quite expensive and tricky to buy separetly in other speakers packages' cases.

As some people might potentially benefit from that, I tell you point by point, what I purchased to build up the whole cinema system. I must admit though that it is our 'secondary' home cinema system, which was purchased for children's room.
So, if you are looking for 'main' living room system YOU WILL find better obviously. Although, for budget around 500 pounds I found it to be my well considered choice.

1. AV receiver - I've chosen previous Marantz model to that below- NR1403.
Marantz NR1504 Slim Design Network AV Receiver - Black

I bought it for about 200 pounds new, around 3-4 months ago.

2. Speaker cable - it's always worth investing in some quality cable, as you really want your system to show what it can do and not to be limited by a cheap choice. Of course, there are people which will argue that a cable for 100 pounds per metre sounds 'equally well' as that one for 30p per metre. Obviously, the choice is yours.
I've used the cable below, which is some price/quality compromise I believe. It gives certain quality, but is still relatively inexpensive and also14AWG thick, which will fit yor speakers fine. When making choice, just remember that your cable might succesfully stay there forever. You might want to change your systems, but cable? Not really, if its decent enough to suit your taste and needs.
Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 2.5 mm (14AWG) - 4M Speaker Cable

3. Speaker cable tranking - It hides 4 cables at once, if needed. Just remember to stick it to wall only, if you are absolutely sure it is the right place.
Cable-Core Self Adhesive Mini Trunking Cable Tidy 25mm x 16mm x15m

4. HDMI lead - again something for around 10-15 pounds from Qed should be fine in my opinion.
QED Profile 1.0m HDMI Cable - New for 2012

5. Subwoofer lead - I have used Canare LV-77S 1m long, which I bought 'used' for around 10 pounds elsewhere, but you can have a new one for around twice of that, I believe. The cable is far better than any 'no name' I came accros up to date.

I believe that for a budget of 400-500 pounds (without tv) it would be difficult to find something better sounding than the Boston speakers to be honest. Although, I haven't listened to all available speakers certainly.
Anyway, goodluck with your new system! I hope you will enjoy it, if you decide for same or similiar selection.
BTW, I do apologise for my use of English but while being Polish myself, it is my second language.
on 11 September 2013
I read plenty of reviews before buying it so I knew what to expect. I wasnt disappointed.
I wanted small speakers as my wife wouldnt approve of anything too big in our small sized living room so they were perfect.

My first surround speakers ever and the only thing that surprised me was that there was not a single wire in the box!
I had to go buy 30 metres of speaker wires.
Perhaps this is normal but I was surprised
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2012
Brilliant set of speakers - my wife likes them as the satellites speakers are very discrete (VERY small) and I love the system as it sounds amazing. Films and TV are brilliant and once you've tweaked the sub volume / crossover to your liking music is excellent too. I have these paired to the Yamaha RXV473 and its a great combo. Only negative would be that the sub is quite big but it needs to be really to compensate for the small main speakers lack of bass (but they do a great job of high and mid range and I mean beyond belief for the size of the speakers).
on 13 May 2014
Either I have been very unlucky or the subwoofer is very poor build quailty. Original sub failed with 2 months, thanks Amazon for a quick replacement. 6 months down the line the replacement subwoofer has also failed.The System is brilliant when its working, but I cannot recommend.
on 12 December 2012
i ordered these speakers at the price of £143 as used stock with the condition of good to be honest i had second thoughts about them and tried to cancel them but i was to late, never mind i could send them back. that was until they arrived, then i thought i might as well check them out, not a mark on them so i connected them to my sony STR-DH820 set them up as per the manual let the auto cal take over and after a couple of tweaks wow these speakers are staying here i bought a pair of the s type satalites and kept my gale centre so now ive got a 7.2 vsystem (kept my gale subwoofer and run them both together souns great and i saved myself £106 as they were the se version thanks amazon
on 21 December 2014
Looks good and sounds good when it's working but Subwoofer has broken after being used maybe 20 times. Had to repair it and found a faulty bridge rectifier on the power supply board. I upgraded this it to a larger 6A one as it was only fitted with a small 1.5A one.
on 30 April 2013
After finally getting this system mounted on my concrete walls, I cannot fault its performance. Sound is crisp and clear, bass is booming and loud, but can be adjusted.
I am using it with a Sony STR-DH520 and it works really well, with no issues.
on 20 February 2015
I would give this system 5's great build quality and sounds aweseome.
The reason for deduction in star'age is totally insane "eco mode" built into the subwoofer.

The only way I can make this work consistently with my NR1605 Marantz reciever is to have the subwoofer signal ramped up on every channel in addition to over setting it globally.

Without the above adjustments, the wubwoofer goes into sleep mode and refuses to come out of it, even after a power reset.
it is really annoying to turn on a movie or usic only to find that you don't have the low channel working...
on 8 November 2015
I'm using these speakers with a Yamaha RX-V377, based on the 5 star review from WhatHiFi on both products. I used to use a Cambridge Audio 2.0 stereo setup for all of my media purposes as well as music like gaming, watching TV, etc... I made the leap to a 5.1 as it was more suited to my applications. Initially, it sounded incredible. Movies were presented fantastically, and it was nothing short of breathtaking, especially to someone who had never had their own 5.1. Gaming was immersive and enjoyable, and it played music to a listenable standard. The subwoofer can really keep up, and produce some good chest-rattling bass. Being used to a proper 2.0 stereo both growing up and with my last setup, the music wasn't as warm. There was a loss of mids where the subwoofer couldn't quite blend with the satellites refectory. Be aware though, this is a minor opinion that, for most listeners, won't be an issue.

Yes, this 5.1, with the correct amp, really shines for its price. Especially as they throw the wall brackets in too.

Why 4 stars? Well, after having the system for a good three months, the speakers were nice and 'ran-in'. I like to think I know my stuff, and that matching speaker loads and an amp for my isn't an issue. These speakers have a RECOMMENDED amp power of 10-100w. When a manufacture says this, it's basically the RMS, and the peak is probably somewhere in the realm of 150w give or take. This means that you should be able to drive the speakers for a good hour on a maximum of 100w and get a good volume out of them. My Yamaha outputs 75w to two channels (which is how I have it when listening to music), so all should be good. However, after having friends over, and getting some heavy listening out of them, this proved not to be true. My amp is limited to '85' out of a possible '95' volume scale from 0 to avoid distortion and, I though it would be an extra precaution. The amp was set at 75 for an hour straight of listening, until something sounded 'off'. I know how speakers blow, and it usually takes some high powered amp without any protective circuitry, driving some underpowered speakers. The two front satellites have become very crackly and no where near as loud as they should be. They've blown.

This is extremely annoying as now, I have to somehow contact Amazon because the one month return has ran out, and I need to get the manufactures 5 year warranty off them.

If you'd asked me yesterday, these would have been 5 star hands down, but sadly not. They were not used in an incorrect or abusive manner, and they went. Very disappointing.

So just be weary, and don't push them too hard and you should be fine.