Published 9 months ago by Legia

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible sub
Love the five, but the point one is awful. Constantly goes into standby even though it's supposedly outputting sound at low levels and after just a couple of months the sub has failed and outputs an annoying crackle at very low frequencies.
Published 5 months ago by Joe Grass

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, very good speakers for up to 500 pounds cinema system., 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Boston Acoustics 5.1 MKII Surround Sound Speaker System - Black (Electronics)
I found above Boston speakers package with other separates, to be much more worth investing than buying popular "all in one" system. Why? First of all, if something breaks down after warranty, you may replace ONLY the broken blu-ray player/speaker/receiver in your system, instead of throwing the whole thing away. Secondary, due to its far superior sound quality in my personal opinion.

Don't take me wrong, if you are looking for main system to play music, these speakers are not the best choice for money. However, if you want quality home cinema system and not planning to spend a lot, these speakers are worth considering. Especially, that it comes with matching wall brackets, which might be quite expensive and tricky to buy separetly in other speakers packages' cases.

As some people might potentially benefit from that, I tell you point by point, what I purchased to build up the whole cinema system. I must admit though that it is our 'secondary' home cinema system, which was purchased for children's room.
So, if you are looking for 'main' living room system YOU WILL find better obviously. Although, for budget around 500 pounds I found it to be my well considered choice.

1. AV receiver - I've chosen previous Marantz model to that below- NR1403.
Marantz NR1504 Slim Design Network AV Receiver - Black

I bought it for about 200 pounds new, around 3-4 months ago.

2. Speaker cable - it's always worth investing in some quality cable, as you really want your system to show what it can do and not to be limited by a cheap choice. Of course, there are people which will argue that a cable for 100 pounds per metre sounds 'equally well' as that one for 30p per metre. Obviously, the choice is yours.
I've used the cable below, which is some price/quality compromise I believe. It gives certain quality, but is still relatively inexpensive and also14AWG thick, which will fit yor speakers fine. When making choice, just remember that your cable might succesfully stay there forever. You might want to change your systems, but cable? Not really, if its decent enough to suit your taste and needs.
Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 2.5 mm (14AWG) - 4M Speaker Cable

3. Speaker cable tranking - It hides 4 cables at once, if needed. Just remember to stick it to wall only, if you are absolutely sure it is the right place.
Cable-Core Self Adhesive Mini Trunking Cable Tidy 25mm x 16mm x15m

4. HDMI lead - again something for around 10-15 pounds from Qed should be fine in my opinion.
QED Profile 1.0m HDMI Cable - New for 2012

5. Subwoofer lead - I have used Canare LV-77S 1m long, which I bought 'used' for around 10 pounds elsewhere, but you can have a new one for around twice of that, I believe. The cable is far better than any 'no name' I came accros up to date.

I believe that for a budget of 400-500 pounds (without tv) it would be difficult to find something better sounding than the Boston speakers to be honest. Although, I haven't listened to all available speakers certainly.
Anyway, goodluck with your new system! I hope you will enjoy it, if you decide for same or similiar selection.
BTW, I do apologise for my use of English but while being Polish myself, it is my second language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and value for money, 24 Jun 2012
I was looking for some speakers around the £300 mark that would provide a nice 5.1 output & after reading many reviews i decided to settle on these.
I have put them with a Denon AVR 1612 and so far im really impressed with them. The speakers are very small and come with wall mounts so are ideal for smaller room setups, the bass box is huge and provides nice bass for that cinema feel (make sure you buy a decent cable for the bass as these are more important than speaker cable when doing a 5.1 setup, i opted for QED Profile Precision, Subwoofer Cable)

Ive got my system hooked up to my PC & PS3, blu ray films are amazing and its important to match the system up with good quality media, low quality MP3 are much more noticeable than with a cheaper system so go for FLAC (audio) and BluRay if you can, they will not disappoint.

The audio stays very good at high volume with no hissing etc, i live in a shared house so havent had an opportunity to pump up the volume to much :(

Just remember that you will need to fit your own speaker cable to these ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-2-5mm-Loud-Speaker-Cable/dp/B003CZBNJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340554746&sr=8-2 ) this cable fits the speakers and works well, they are a tight fit but no real problem and a great price.

Overall im very impressed with this product and they are great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 30 Mar 2014
M. T. Rigg - See all my reviews
I'm new to 5.1 digital surround sound and thought I would spend a little extra on separates, rather than go with a soundbar or an all-in-one DVD/Bluray system. I'm still only using a DVD player with upscaled video but WOW, the sound is amazing!

I purchased the Yamaha RXV375BL AV Receiver and matched it with these speakers. I have nothing to compare the set up to but it certainly meets all my requirements - watching Sky and DVDs has never sounded so good! The speakers are nice and small and the supplied brackets make the surround speakers easy to secure to the wall. I have the left, right and centre speakers sat on my TV stand.

I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant, 14 May 2013
I always wanted a decent home cinema kit.Eventually saved the money for an AV reciever.But could not decide on speakers, as i did not want anything to big that takes over the room.Did not buy this set up through Amazon.But they are a good anough to buy from.SOUNDS AMAZING.I had the BOND 50 box set for christmas,really good on sound.Would like to argue it sounds better than the cinema as the cinema is far to load.Depending on what movies you watch, as some sound better than others.Blu ray sound is better than the cinema i think.I go on bluray reviews as they tell you as it is.Thinking of upgrading to some more boston speakers to make my set up 7.1.Look no futher people this is it.Highly recommended at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 11 Sep 2013
I read plenty of reviews before buying it so I knew what to expect. I wasnt disappointed.
I wanted small speakers as my wife wouldnt approve of anything too big in our small sized living room so they were perfect.

My first surround speakers ever and the only thing that surprised me was that there was not a single wire in the box!
I had to go buy 30 metres of speaker wires.
Perhaps this is normal but I was surprised

5.0 out of 5 stars Balancing style, price, and sound quality, 28 Jan 2014
Great Sound !!! I love it !!! for a small living room it works perfect. i have with a Denon X1000 and it works perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars So clear, 11 Jan 2014
The quality of the sound is... Incredible. Really clear.
Beautiful bass, beautiful high-pitched voice.
I fall in love :)
This is the best choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly surprised, 13 Jun 2013
I have never had such small speakers always gone for floor standers but space constraints governed my choice after reading the reviews I thought I would give them a go and I am so glad I did they are such little speakers that really deliver on sound quality I am used to B&W, Mission or infinity speakers and for the for the price they are on par with any of those choices the subwoofer really packs a punch for its size I do recommend spending a little more on getting good quality speaker cable too. I highly recommend these this product

5.0 out of 5 stars great sound, 14 May 2013
I'm using them with AV receiver ONKYO 525, i have a relatively small room ~16 sq meters. These speakers make it full of clear and fidelity sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, looks good!, 30 April 2013
After finally getting this system mounted on my concrete walls, I cannot fault its performance. Sound is crisp and clear, bass is booming and loud, but can be adjusted.
I am using it with a Sony STR-DH520 and it works really well, with no issues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›