on 21 July 2013
Was going to go for a the bigger 10000mAh battery but thought I've give this a try first because it looked like a nice size and a good compromise.

Very happy with my purchase. The battery looks great, it's very small and comes with a nice little bag. As an iphone 5 user I knew I wasn't going to get an adapter included (it would be nice if Anker do in future) but it wasn't an issue, I just use the ridiculously short cable that apple supply with the phone.

Anyway, I charged it up straight away from the mains and did some tests in my first week with the Astro mini. First test was to top up my phone each evening until it was 100% and NOT charge the mini in between topups. I managed to charge it up on 3 consecutive nights from 60% to 100%, 50% to 100% and 53% to 83% before the mini was depleted.

The next test was to let the phone battery go completely flat and see how the mini coped charging it from 0% which I believe is harder to do. It coped well, I got one full 100% charge and then the next evening I charged the phone from 66% to nearly full, I think it was about 88%.

So conclusion is you can get about 3 half charges or about 1.3 full charges on an iPhone 5 with light use of the phone whilst charging. So in my view this fit's the bill perfectly for me for weekends camping or long distance walking where I might need to juice up my phone because I use it a lot as a camera. For the price and small size, this is perfect for my needs.

Nice one Anker! I would definitely purchase your products again.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 January 2015
I initially purchased the Anker Astro Mini (2nd gen, 3200mAh) as a small backup to keep my smartphone topped up following a comparison and discussion at the Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-portable-battery-pack-for-daily-use/). My requirements were something small (that would fit into a small extra pocket in my backpack), lightweight, that would be able to charge my phone from dead to full or near full, and that was simple to operate.

I've been using the Anker Mini for over a week now and overall I'm extremely impressed. The box (which was satisfying to open thanks to small touches like the "Thanks for choosing Anker!" message on the flap) contains the Anker charger, a Micro USB cable, and a drawstring bag -- it does not come with a USB plug. The Mini comes precharged and is usable straight out of the box.

The Astro Mini has two ports, one for charging the itself and one for charging your devices; a LED light, and a single button. The device itself is not the most intuitive so I found I did need to read the manual -- a quickstart guide would have have been a nice addition. The LED indicates when the Mini is charging either a device or being charged (green), is low on battery (red), and is itself fully charged (yellow) however in my usage so far I haven't found the LED particularly necessary. The construction of the Mini is perhaps the most standout feature of the design. It feels rugged (as if it could be dropped and beaten, much like an iPod classic) and sturdy which is an overwhelming plus when compared to other similar products. I've discovered that the Mini fits into my jean pocket with my wallet which is another massive bonus for it.

I've found the charging speeds from the Astro Mini to my phone to be fast as advertised but not enough to keep up with my Nexus 7 (2012) whilst using it. Whilst charging I would have expected the Astro Mini to get hot to the touch but this is not the case, a positive if you're charging on the go. Charging the Mini is not as quick as I'd hope despite me using a fast charger but charging overnight eliminates this problem. A fully charged Astro Mini is able to revive my phone from dead to near full capacity and so I can confirm the advertised capacity is not far off reality. Overall the charging experience is solid. I cannot comment on the "power IQ technology" as I've only used this with two devices.

A few comment about the drawstring bag. It comfortably fits both the Astro Mini and the included USB cable and is my go to method of keeping them secure and together. After a week of carrying them in the bag I have noticed wearing from the inside of the bag and small black fluff on both the charger and the cable however this is not a huge concern of mine. The bag has a drawstring closing mechanism which in my experience is fairly hit and miss, occasionally not closing as smoothly or as fully as I'd hope. The bag does not feel as if it's the highest quality material and I'm certain it's not going to last anywhere near as long as the Astro Mini. All that said, I'm glad they included it and I will purchase a higher quality version when this one wears out.

Overall, the Astro Mini met and exceeded my expectations. The Astro Mini is well constructed, small enough to fit in my pocket with other items, and is solid in the charging department.
review image review image
on 31 May 2015
so i have now started carrying this charger over my 13000mah one purely over size. However even though this cost £10 as opposed to £30 I would have probably bought 2 of these. One for the car (where my old charger is now) and one for my man bag. This holds charge very very well and provides a strong charge probably not the fastest charge over seen however when I say strong charge I mean the battery will last you as long as it's supposed to, not like a fast charge like you get from some other devices I have used and after one phone call your back to 50%, this anker charger is built solid from metal and boasts quality all over. Charging time is approx 2 hours for my iPhone 5s from absolutely dead (I mean off) and it provides a full 100% charge within that time I then connected it to my wife's iPhone 6 and it provided an extra 20% so all in all good power for pounds. Comes in a very well made box with manual and you also get a thick nylon net pouch which I personally use for the charger and my 4 inch lightning cable for my phone I can now charge my phone and talk at the same time and the charger will compensate the power so that the phone remains charging so the iQ tech in this device actually works and just doesn't sustain the power to your device like a lot of chargers do. There is also a indicator which flashes when your at 2% battery on the device which I find to come on a little late if it was 5 or maybe 10% it would probably be a little more useful however the light provides a good indication that your device is fully charged and also when the power bank needs recharging. All in a all worth the £10 all year long get a massive manufacturers warranty you cannot fault this device or service you get from anker as I have sent back a different kind of device to them which did turn out to be faulty but one out of the 4 devices I have from anker is good enough for me! By the way they did replace it within a week no questions asked. Have a good day people !
on 8 November 2014
If you’re anything like me, you’re on your mobile 24 x 7. Of course, this also means you can’t spend more than a day away from a socket - that is until now.

Here’s why…..

What is it and what does it do
—————————————

This tiny coloured aluminium tube (about the size and shape of a cigarette lighter or a lipstick) is an external battery pack for an iPhone or Android Smartphone. Basically, if you’re out and about (on a long rail journey or away camping or at a rock festival), you can get a quick re-charge, and keep going all night.

What's it like?
------------------
In a word, really cool (OK so that’s two words).

Effectively it’s a tiny aluminium tube, 4 inches long by 1 inch diameter with a little button near the top. Depending on whether your a bloke or a girl, it looks like either an ultra-smart cigarette lighter or an expensive perfume atomiser or lipstick.

Finally, these things are rated in miliamps per hour, and this is rated at 3,200 mAh. What it means is, depending upon your handset, you can charge it from flat to 100% at least once, and maybe a couple of times (see the details below).

What will it charge?
-------------------------

Well, just about anything as far as I can see. This includes

* Apple iPhone 5, 5s and 5c, 6 and 6
* Apple iPhone 3, 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4Gs.
* Apple iPad (both wide pin and lightning connectors).
* Almost any Android tablet.
* Samsung Galaxy Note 3 S4 S3 S2 Note 2

I tested it on an iPad Air (lightning connector), iPad 3rd Generation (wide plug), iPhone 4GS and Google Nexus 5 smartphone.

Does it work?
------------------

Glad to say, yes. it charged my Google Nexus 5 from under 50% charge to 100% within an hour.

For comparison purposes, here's the battery capacity (mAh) of some popular smartphones:-

* Google Nexus 5 - 2,300
* Samsung Galaxy S3 - 2,100
* Samsung Galaxy S4 - 2,600
* Apple iPhone 5 - 1,400
* Apple iPhone 5S - 1,570
* Apple iPhone 4S - 1,432

Be aware though, at 3,200 mAh it won’t perform miracles, but as an emergency charger it’s brilliant!

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Beautiful cool design.
* Perfect size to carry with you all the time
* Tough aluminium - should survive a few knocks
* As a bonus, it even has a tiny little light built in.

What's not so good?
-------------------------

Not a lot really. It's so tiny you can carry it with you without even knowing it, and it will save you from a no power problem.

Disclosure: I was kindly sent this by the manufacturer to give an independent unbiased review. On the positive side, I get to review an awful lot of these mobile batteries, and this one is brilliant.

Conclusion
---------------

Fantastic little charger. Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.
on 28 August 2014
Great little device. Charges my Samsung S3 very quickly and my Samsung table. The only downside is that it doesn't indicate when it running low and needs recharging so you won't know until your going to charge something - then you realise that it's dead :-). An indicator would be useful.
on 12 November 2014
I have had this for some time, when I first received it it powered my iphone 4s up twice on one charge, which I thought was really good. Since that time (and I have only used it 3 or 4 times) the charging capability has decreased so it charges my phone to about half, if that. So am somewhat disappointed and don't think this was a particularly good purchase.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I purchased the Anker Astro mini as a birthday present so I am not the final recipient who probably ought to be writing this review.

My initial impression is that this battery pack is a particularly well designed and manufactured unit. I like the attractive, matt black colour and I own several battery packs with the same fine finish. This is the upgraded Anker unit with a capacity of 3350Ah. I frequently carry a much bigger, rectangular, dual USB o/p, battery pack on my travels. It has a capacity of 16.000mAh, which I use to charge my Sony Ericsson K800i and my new iPad (3rd gen.) The much higher capacity is required to charge the iPad. The Anker unit has a generous but smaller capacity and it is therefore better suited to charging mobile phones and perhaps smaller tablets. It is described as being like a 'lipstick' capsule but in reality it is much bigger, being about 4" long and 0.75" in diameter.

Before presenting the Anker battery pack to its new owner I put it through its paces and tried charging it from a variety of 5Vdc sources via its USB-to-micro USB charging lead. It never failed to charge. A small LED (yellow/amber) monitored the charging status. A small, net-textured bag is provided with the charger with a draw cord opening. It, too, is coloured black.

Taking my K800i as representing a typical, old-style mobile phone, I would estimate the Anker battery pack would be capable of recharging my mobile phone 1 or 2 times before it needed recharging itself. I don't think I would attempt to use it with my iPad though. I cannot comment on is use with the smaller, latest generation iPads which may consume less current.
on 9 June 2015
I've been using this for the past 3 weeks almost. I've initially bought it to replace a smaller charger, both in size and capacity (it was great as well but unfortunately lost it).
I'm abroad for work a lot of the time and find myself on the road often. This little thing provided a perfect stop-gap for me in-between power plugs. I get a full charge out of my Xperia Z3 Compact and enough juice to keep my MiFi going for an extra 2 hours.
You can't beat that quality at that price. In fact, i'm not sure if this quality can't be at all beaten!

UPDATE: 2 JULY
------------------------
A little more than a month now and this beautiful stick can only hold half of its charge, even less. My Xperia Z3 barely gets to 54% loading up from 5%. Really disappointed as i was super impressed with it.

UPDATE: 15 AUGUST
------------------------------
For 6 weeks now the Anker Customer Service have been in constant touch. They sent me a new, in-the-box Anker Mini. Unfortunately, i was away so couldn't try it immediately. I'm back now and everything looks back in order. I know that should anything go wrong, all i have to do is get in touch with their brilliant customer service who will go above and beyond the call of duty to rectify any issue. Getting the Anker and the guarantee that comes with it is cheaper than chips at this price point!
on 16 June 2015
Bought this item for my daughter for Christmas and for a couple of months it started working fine she could recharge her phone etc but now 6 month ish later it's just stopped working you plug it in press the button to charge the phone and it charges 2% max and doesn't charge it anymore I'm assuming I have a faulty one but I'm disappointed for the amount I payed for the product.
on 16 March 2015
I bought one of these to keep my iPhone and Garmin charged up during a multi day bike ride. It did the job perfectly - small, light and simple. But a few weeks later it suddenly stopped recharging. I contacted Anker through Amazon, who replaced it quickly and without quibbling. The replacement has now failed as well. I have ordered another product as a replacement.

A lot of the other reviewers have had similar experiences. I suspect that the higher ratings are from buyers who submitted their reviews before their unit had had time to fail.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...