3,707 Reviews
 (2,840)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gadget
Was going to go for a the bigger 10000mAh battery but thought I've give this a try first because it looked like a nice size and a good compromise.

Published 22 months ago by Andy

Published 2 months ago by Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gadget, 21 July 2013
This review is from: [Upgraded Capacity] Anker 2nd Generation Astro mini 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, Samsung, GoPro and More (Black) (Electronics)

Very happy with my purchase. The battery looks great, it's very small and comes with a nice little bag. As an iphone 5 user I knew I wasn't going to get an adapter included (it would be nice if Anker do in future) but it wasn't an issue, I just use the ridiculously short cable that apple supply with the phone.

Anyway, I charged it up straight away from the mains and did some tests in my first week with the Astro mini. First test was to top up my phone each evening until it was 100% and NOT charge the mini in between topups. I managed to charge it up on 3 consecutive nights from 60% to 100%, 50% to 100% and 53% to 83% before the mini was depleted.

The next test was to let the phone battery go completely flat and see how the mini coped charging it from 0% which I believe is harder to do. It coped well, I got one full 100% charge and then the next evening I charged the phone from 66% to nearly full, I think it was about 88%.

So conclusion is you can get about 3 half charges or about 1.3 full charges on an iPhone 5 with light use of the phone whilst charging. So in my view this fit's the bill perfectly for me for weekends camping or long distance walking where I might need to juice up my phone because I use it a lot as a camera. For the price and small size, this is perfect for my needs.

Nice one Anker! I would definitely purchase your products again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small enough for my pocket and delivers as promised, 3 Jan. 2015
I initially purchased the Anker Astro Mini (2nd gen, 3200mAh) as a small backup to keep my smartphone topped up following a comparison and discussion at the Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-portable-battery-pack-for-daily-use/). My requirements were something small (that would fit into a small extra pocket in my backpack), lightweight, that would be able to charge my phone from dead to full or near full, and that was simple to operate.

I've been using the Anker Mini for over a week now and overall I'm extremely impressed. The box (which was satisfying to open thanks to small touches like the "Thanks for choosing Anker!" message on the flap) contains the Anker charger, a Micro USB cable, and a drawstring bag -- it does not come with a USB plug. The Mini comes precharged and is usable straight out of the box.

The Astro Mini has two ports, one for charging the itself and one for charging your devices; a LED light, and a single button. The device itself is not the most intuitive so I found I did need to read the manual -- a quickstart guide would have have been a nice addition. The LED indicates when the Mini is charging either a device or being charged (green), is low on battery (red), and is itself fully charged (yellow) however in my usage so far I haven't found the LED particularly necessary. The construction of the Mini is perhaps the most standout feature of the design. It feels rugged (as if it could be dropped and beaten, much like an iPod classic) and sturdy which is an overwhelming plus when compared to other similar products. I've discovered that the Mini fits into my jean pocket with my wallet which is another massive bonus for it.

I've found the charging speeds from the Astro Mini to my phone to be fast as advertised but not enough to keep up with my Nexus 7 (2012) whilst using it. Whilst charging I would have expected the Astro Mini to get hot to the touch but this is not the case, a positive if you're charging on the go. Charging the Mini is not as quick as I'd hope despite me using a fast charger but charging overnight eliminates this problem. A fully charged Astro Mini is able to revive my phone from dead to near full capacity and so I can confirm the advertised capacity is not far off reality. Overall the charging experience is solid. I cannot comment on the "power IQ technology" as I've only used this with two devices.

A few comment about the drawstring bag. It comfortably fits both the Astro Mini and the included USB cable and is my go to method of keeping them secure and together. After a week of carrying them in the bag I have noticed wearing from the inside of the bag and small black fluff on both the charger and the cable however this is not a huge concern of mine. The bag has a drawstring closing mechanism which in my experience is fairly hit and miss, occasionally not closing as smoothly or as fully as I'd hope. The bag does not feel as if it's the highest quality material and I'm certain it's not going to last anywhere near as long as the Astro Mini. All that said, I'm glad they included it and I will purchase a higher quality version when this one wears out.

Overall, the Astro Mini met and exceeded my expectations. The Astro Mini is well constructed, small enough to fit in my pocket with other items, and is solid in the charging department.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be a great little piece of kit if it only worked. Good service though!, 16 Mar. 2015
Nick "Nick" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these to keep my iPhone and Garmin charged up during a multi day bike ride. It did the job perfectly - small, light and simple. But a few weeks later it suddenly stopped recharging. I contacted Anker through Amazon, who replaced it quickly and without quibbling. The replacement has now failed as well. I have ordered another product as a replacement.

A lot of the other reviewers have had similar experiences. I suspect that the higher ratings are from buyers who submitted their reviews before their unit had had time to fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little charger. Absolutely love it., 8 Nov. 2014
If you’re anything like me, you’re on your mobile 24 x 7. Of course, this also means you can’t spend more than a day away from a socket - that is until now.

Here’s why…..

What is it and what does it do
—————————————

This tiny coloured aluminium tube (about the size and shape of a cigarette lighter or a lipstick) is an external battery pack for an iPhone or Android Smartphone. Basically, if you’re out and about (on a long rail journey or away camping or at a rock festival), you can get a quick re-charge, and keep going all night.

What's it like?
------------------
In a word, really cool (OK so that’s two words).

Effectively it’s a tiny aluminium tube, 4 inches long by 1 inch diameter with a little button near the top. Depending on whether your a bloke or a girl, it looks like either an ultra-smart cigarette lighter or an expensive perfume atomiser or lipstick.

Finally, these things are rated in miliamps per hour, and this is rated at 3,200 mAh. What it means is, depending upon your handset, you can charge it from flat to 100% at least once, and maybe a couple of times (see the details below).

What will it charge?
-------------------------

Well, just about anything as far as I can see. This includes

* Apple iPhone 5, 5s and 5c, 6 and 6
* Apple iPhone 3, 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4Gs.
* Apple iPad (both wide pin and lightning connectors).
* Almost any Android tablet.
* Samsung Galaxy Note 3 S4 S3 S2 Note 2

I tested it on an iPad Air (lightning connector), iPad 3rd Generation (wide plug), iPhone 4GS and Google Nexus 5 smartphone.

Does it work?
------------------

Glad to say, yes. it charged my Google Nexus 5 from under 50% charge to 100% within an hour.

For comparison purposes, here's the battery capacity (mAh) of some popular smartphones:-

* Google Nexus 5 - 2,300
* Samsung Galaxy S3 - 2,100
* Samsung Galaxy S4 - 2,600
* Apple iPhone 5 - 1,400
* Apple iPhone 5S - 1,570
* Apple iPhone 4S - 1,432

Be aware though, at 3,200 mAh it won’t perform miracles, but as an emergency charger it’s brilliant!

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Beautiful cool design.
* Perfect size to carry with you all the time
* Tough aluminium - should survive a few knocks
* As a bonus, it even has a tiny little light built in.

What's not so good?
-------------------------

Not a lot really. It's so tiny you can carry it with you without even knowing it, and it will save you from a no power problem.

Disclosure: I was kindly sent this by the manufacturer to give an independent unbiased review. On the positive side, I get to review an awful lot of these mobile batteries, and this one is brilliant.

Conclusion
---------------

Fantastic little charger. Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect...... but does the job, 28 Aug. 2014
Great little device. Charges my Samsung S3 very quickly and my Samsung table. The only downside is that it doesn't indicate when it running low and needs recharging so you won't know until your going to charge something - then you realise that it's dead :-). An indicator would be useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mini portable power bank!, 17 Dec. 2014
This were provided by Anker to keep in exchange with my honest review.

Have you gone into situation where you in the middle of nowhere and your cellphone battery is low and need to call somebody and call for emergency, well I did and you know the feeling and it is frustrating. But not anymore until this Anker 2nd Gen Astro Mini came in to my life. This mini portable power bank will save my day and yours too! if you get this as your travel companion.

It’s amazing that this portable mini power bank will give your smartphone extra juice to keep going all day.
I have no issue with this power bank and it is easy to use “Hassle free”. It is a great portable charger for everyone and comes with different colors that suits your personality which is cool.

Now i don’t have to worry that my phone will die on me and now the power is on the palm of my hands. The power bank is so little but has enough power to charge my Epson PS-500 fitness watch, my Pebble smart watch and my Samsung S4. This is very reliable, durable and value. One more thing the company has a great customer service which is a very plus when purchasing a product.

To top it all overall I love this product because of portability, reliable, durable and it does the job.
I highly recommend of getting this Astro mini. It is a great and very useful device and will save your day like it saves mine. Great for travel and for daily charger on the go.

I am very satisfied and happy with my new mini charger.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great at first but loses ability to charge after not much use., 12 Nov. 2014
I have had this for some time, when I first received it it powered my iphone 4s up twice on one charge, which I thought was really good. Since that time (and I have only used it 3 or 4 times) the charging capability has decreased so it charges my phone to about half, if that. So am somewhat disappointed and don't think this was a particularly good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Quality Available, 30 Mar. 2015
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Bought for my wife whom, like most ladies considers her phone to be her best mate and is therefore in constant use. Mostly for pictures if the volume of the grandchildren is anything to go by. So, she tends to run close to the knuckle by the end of the day and starts to panic in case her phone craps out. I suspect that many others feel the same, hence the proliferation of these types of portable chargers is anything to go by.

Anyway I did get her a non name brand charger from a local supermarket which was frankly, a bit rubbish. Yes, it would put some charge into the phone but really just enough to keep it going to make that last emergency call.

This time I decided to buy a decent power unit and found this on Amazon of which the manufacturer seems to be generally considered to be the best out there.

And I agree. Well made with a nice tactile feel of quality and weight. Not too much to be a hindrance, but enough to think you have something proper. From what I have noted so far it can charge up my wife's Galaxy S Zoom from 0 to 100% and my Z1 the same. In between charges I may add. I would imagine it would be the same for pretty much any other smart phone including the Apple ones - which you will need a cable for.

Size is discrete and easily vanishes into my better half's handbag without a murmur. As a bloke I'm not sure where you would put it as the shape is not wallet sized. I guess you could stuff it in your front pocket but the idea of a power cell with the same explosive power as TNT by mass next to the crown jewels does not appeal. Besides as a bloke a phone should not run out of juice for a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feedback on astro mini and Ankers customer support, 17 Nov. 2013
Item was excellently packaged and presentation was definetely 10/10. I charged it up out the box until it was at max capacity. It takes 4hrs 5 mins to charge the Anker powerpack up. Takes just over 2 hrs to charge my iPhone 4S fully and then there's enough left for another partial charge around 30-40%.
Its a perfect size to keep in a rucksack for an emergency which was why i purchased it as i ride a motorbike and so have no means to charge my phone or action cam while i'm out. The quality of the supplied USB-to-microUSB cable and adaptor for iPhones(3gs, 4, 4S etc) is top notch, and although there's no led indicator to let you know how much charge is left in it, as long as i charge it up before i leave then there was plenty for the day ahead. Build quality too was 10/10.

EDITED
I edited the rest of my original review because with subsequent uses i found i was getting less and less charge on the second topup. Sadly it seemed i had a faulty one as the second charge that originally gave me 38%, then dropped to 15% and 8% etc each time round i used it. Looked like the powerpack wasn't holding charge.
I emailed Anker about the problem, and the customer support i got was fantastic. They really do aim to give their customers a 5 star service! It was all sorted out within a few days and i was left with nothing but praise for them afterwards. Nowadays aftersales support is as important as the product itself, and Anker really do excel in both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit that packs some serious punch, 20 Feb. 2015
Darren Hayes "Diesel" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What am I reviewing : Anker Astro Mini 3200mAh Ultra-Compact

How much did it cost: £13.99 Shipping Free

How long did it take to arrive: 3 days

What do I think to the product: This is a great piece of tech to have on your person, just in case. As a family that has four smartphones and four iPads a portable power source can be a god send. After reading about lots of them I settled for the Anker Astro. It arrived fast and feels much more expensive than it was. Made of aluminium with a blue metallic finish it looks awesome. It took a while to charge on its initial charging but after that it was up and ready to go. It charges iPhone and iPad no problem and seems to last for a long time. It has something called IQ powerhouse supposedly talks to the tech that it is connected to and gives the power that it needs. This unit delivers its 5v at 1amp which is what is required for some of the more demanding producs such as I pad air and so on, the unit comes with a nice little black pouch that can comfortably hold a iPhone / iPad cable so all you equipment can be kept together nice and neatly. It has a small button also that turns green when you press it to tell you that it is full of charge and ready to go. A great little bit of kit that doesn't weigh to much either in your pocket.

What are the pro's: The USB cable does not fall out of this unit like on some of them, the unit hold the cable in tight. Looks awesome and does what it it is supposed to do very well indeed. Comes with its own little pouch.

What are the con's: Advertsied as lipstick size, I have never seen a lipstick as big as this, but saying that it does pack a punch so what do you expect. Saying that it is a little larger than what I was expecting.

Would I recommend this to others: YES