5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gadget
Was going to go for a the bigger 10000mAh battery but thought I've give this a try first because it looked like a nice size and a good compromise.

Published 12 months ago by Andy

1.0 out of 5 stars This one's a dud!!
Bought this product because I use my phone a lot and it keeps running out of charge. It worked twice and then packed up. Look elsewhere in my opinion!!!!
Published 7 months ago by Paul Quinton

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gadget, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Anker® Astro Mini 3000mAh Ultra-Compact Portable Charger Lipstick-Sized External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Nexus 4, HTC One, One 2 (M8), MOTO G, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, G2 Mini, G Pro, most other Smartphones (Apple Adapters- 30 pin and Lightning, NOT Included) - Black (Electronics)

Very happy with my purchase. The battery looks great, it's very small and comes with a nice little bag. As an iphone 5 user I knew I wasn't going to get an adapter included (it would be nice if Anker do in future) but it wasn't an issue, I just use the ridiculously short cable that apple supply with the phone.

Anyway, I charged it up straight away from the mains and did some tests in my first week with the Astro mini. First test was to top up my phone each evening until it was 100% and NOT charge the mini in between topups. I managed to charge it up on 3 consecutive nights from 60% to 100%, 50% to 100% and 53% to 83% before the mini was depleted.

The next test was to let the phone battery go completely flat and see how the mini coped charging it from 0% which I believe is harder to do. It coped well, I got one full 100% charge and then the next evening I charged the phone from 66% to nearly full, I think it was about 88%.

So conclusion is you can get about 3 half charges or about 1.3 full charges on an iPhone 5 with light use of the phone whilst charging. So in my view this fit's the bill perfectly for me for weekends camping or long distance walking where I might need to juice up my phone because I use it a lot as a camera. For the price and small size, this is perfect for my needs.

Nice one Anker! I would definitely purchase your products again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, top support too, 18 July 2014
I rarely write product reviews for anything but I've had this about a year now and I'm very impressed. I travel a lot for work so I'm forever running out of phone battery.

I have one of the larger battery packs available (roughly the size of an external hard drive) for travelling but bought this for something more everyday.

It looks great, works fantastically and is very robust for the price! Unfortunately after having it nearly a year mine decided to give up, after much heavy use. I figured, it's just £10 or so I'll buy another one - being always wary of spending ages trying to return things to companies whose service I expected to be awful.

But I figured I'd try so I emailed Anker with a warranty claim and within 48 hours a brand new one was sent out to me (via amazon dispatching with next day delivery). They didn't even want me to have to bother waiting while returning the old device, said just to dispose of it properly.

So all in all; it's solid, light, amazing capacity and charges fast plus, more unusually for little gadgets, comes with fantastic customer support!

Only 4/5 due to the fact you have no way of knowing how much power is left on it: A tiny LED scale on the side or similar would have worked wonders, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feedback on astro mini and Ankers customer support, 17 Nov 2013
Item was excellently packaged and presentation was definetely 10/10. I charged it up out the box until it was at max capacity. It takes 4hrs 5 mins to charge the Anker powerpack up. Takes just over 2 hrs to charge my iPhone 4S fully and then there's enough left for another partial charge around 30-40%.
Its a perfect size to keep in a rucksack for an emergency which was why i purchased it as i ride a motorbike and so have no means to charge my phone or action cam while i'm out. The quality of the supplied USB-to-microUSB cable and adaptor for iPhones(3gs, 4, 4S etc) is top notch, and although there's no led indicator to let you know how much charge is left in it, as long as i charge it up before i leave then there was plenty for the day ahead. Build quality too was 10/10.

EDITED
I edited the rest of my original review because with subsequent uses i found i was getting less and less charge on the second topup. Sadly it seemed i had a faulty one as the second charge that originally gave me 38%, then dropped to 15% and 8% etc each time round i used it. Looked like the powerpack wasn't holding charge.
I emailed Anker about the problem, and the customer support i got was fantastic. They really do aim to give their customers a 5 star service! It was all sorted out within a few days and i was left with nothing but praise for them afterwards. Nowadays aftersales support is as important as the product itself, and Anker really do excel in both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 21 July 2014
Compact, sturdy, reliable spare battery.

The battery was alot smaller then expected, and came in a compact box (typical of most anker products, which is a good thing!)

Exterior finish of the silver battery was extremely good and something you would not expect in this price point. Very rugged and has stood up to being in my rucksack for the weekend whilst at glastonbury and gave me a full charge at end of first night and a further charge on the 2nd night.

The item comes with a micro usb to usb charger so that you can charge the device.....(could be a problem for people who only have tablets, ipads etc) but for me it was no problem as hooked upto the laptop.

Initial charge took a few hours to fill battery to capacity. This allowed me to fully charge my iphone 4 once and enough charge left over for another 40-50% charge afterwards. Great for taking on holiday and you need the phone charged to bypass security at the airport.

My only negative would be on this device that the battery indicator is not very meaningful....this displays via a small led light when you press a button on the battery....now you could have 5% or 50% or 100% charge in the battery and the light would indicate charge is available....perhaps a way of showing how much charge roughly is available could be devised without increasing the price too much but for the price this is at, then i can't complain.

Overall a very handy device that is worth the money just when you need a battery source and have no power points near by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product that has so far exceeded my expectations, 21 July 2014
J. Flaxman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had mine for two weeks now and so far it's exceeded my expectations. It's proved very useful as it is able to charge my phone 1½-1¾ times per charge.

I love that the charger connects with a cable as it helps prevent any damage to the sockets and connectors. A previous portable charger of mine was a dedicated iPhone charger that plugged straight into the bottom – with no cable in between – and I found that it made the phone awkward to use, was bulky and I ended up accidentally bending the connector. With this charger, the cable connection helps prevent that.

Also, because it's not dedicated, it's much more universal, for instance, a friend of mine has a Samsung and she was able to borrow it while we were in the park together.

I would definitely recommend this product and will keep this review updated should my opinion change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome gadget, 17 Jun 2014
Marius Ciocanel (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I use it to extend the battery life of my GoPro when I'm recording talks at events.
It works brilliantly.
It's light enough that I can cary it with me in my pocket and provides the needed emergency power at the push of a button.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value for money. Perfect for hiking., 23 July 2014
I've used this a few times since buying and find it to be excellent.
I bought it as I like to go hiking and camping and needed more than one days charge on my power hungry HTC one.
I can get at least another full charge with this, haven't tested it to full capacity but I'm happy with that.
It seems durable, is about the size of a large lipstick and comes with a small padded carry pouch, which was a bonus. Perfect for stashing in the rucksack, or man bag without getting damaged.
I searched for quite a while to find value, and still have quality and this definately fits the bill on both scores.
The only downside is that I can't now use the 'ran out of battery' excuse when I want to get away from it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy and convenient charger, 15 July 2014
I purchased two of these in December 2013 as the price was so good and I was very pleased with my purchase. The Anker Astro Mini is a small, light portable charger which I use for my phone and my tablet. It’s about the size and weight of a packet of Polo mints. The unit itself charges from the same USB power cable as my phone, then slips in to my pocket until I need it to boost my phones battery power. I keep the other in my briefcase in case I need a boost when working late.

This is most effective when i’m out and about on match days following Hemel Hempstead Town FC, as it’s common for me to me tweeting and texting updates from the game as well as taking photos and checking the internet for other scores… only to drain my battery before the day is finished. One of these returned my phone to full power during an hour coach journey home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another top quality product from Anker, 24 July 2014
This is the second Anker product have bought and I have to say their products are quality. It works as it should and is made to a high standard. You can really tell that they care about customer satisfaction as you get lots of info about help and support if you need it and it comes very nearly packaged. I can't comment on performance as I have only used it once but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I can't wait to take this with me to festivals!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant compact external battery., 20 July 2014
I have found that my phone tends to run out of charge on day trips when I use it for navigation. This compact external battery adds just enough charge to make it back home which is great. It even managed to provide enough current to power a Raspberry Pi, although I am not sure how long it could keep that up for.

Altogether I am very impressed with this, especially having paid less than £15 for it.