Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 20 November 2014
To get ahead of, or perhaps not become unsuspecting game for PUA (pick up artists), I read this interesting book.

Strauss employs basic psychological and sociological principles to enhance the successfulness of meeting partners of the opposite sex (all in the book are female, but there is no comment on whether this would work with males).

In one way, this could be interpreted as misogynistic, sexist and manipulative to possibly vulnerable women. In another light, I got the sense that Strauss wanted shyer/ less confident men to have the confidence to speak to women and feel acceptance.

In light of how the book concludes, my potentially-naive view is that Strauss wasn't writing this book with a view to convince hoards of men to be serial 'one-night-stand-players' but to get them to realise that they are all they need to be, rich or poor, however they appear and that with a little thinking behind their approach, they can simply create a better environment for meeting potential partners.

Strauss also hints throughout the book that sleeping around isn't always fulfilling or what it's hyped up to be and positions himself in a strong place to authentically challenge the stereotypical male view that the correlation between amount of sexual partners and 'manliness' is not necessarily a positive upward curve.

So overall, despite being a bit of a tedious, slightly irritating, yet intriguing book, I like the idea that his logical/scientific/set approach may appeal to some who struggle with confidence, but leaves the reader with a clear perspective that seducing multiple humans may seem great, but it's rather like craving a packet of crisps; great while it lasted, but the crisps finish and leave you feeling pretty empty quite quickly, plant some potatoes though...
on 15 November 2015
This is quite possibly the funniest book I have ever read (one of the others being 'The Dirt' by the same author).

Usually, it takes me a long time to read a book. I can't skim read and instead read every single word in a book, often repeating whole pages when my mind wanders or I lose concentration. With this, I couldn't put it down and read the whole thing in a few days, most of which was on a flight from New Zealand to the UK.

Whilst the book is laugh-out-loud funny, it is also extremely interesting. I find myself thinking back to some of the techniques pointed out in the book when I observe people chatting each other up when out in a bar. You can see people acting in the same way as these pickup artists without even knowing that they are doing it.

I think I've now bought about 4 copies and given them to friends for various reasons, I thought it was that good. Personally I would never actually put any of these things into practice as it's really not me but as an interesting and funny read it can't be faulted.
on 26 January 2015
Useful if you are looking for a relationship and want to protect yourself against pick-up "artists"!! Also check another book called The Mystery Method.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2013
I read this book at the suggestion of a guy who used some PUA techniques on me (as I later found). He had suggested that I let my brothers read this book. My brothers are both shy guys and relatively inexperienced in the relationship area. Needless to say, due to my curious nature, I found myself reading this book. I'd never heard of PUA's before so it was all very new to me. As I read this book it suddenly dawned on me that I had been really a 'victim' of techniques such as 'push-and-pull', 'time distortion', 'take away' 'peacock' and 'neg' by this same guy I liked.
I think he didn't think I would read the book. Perhaps I gave this notion that I wasn't a girl who read books.

I decided to tell him that I had read this book and see what his response was. Needless to say he said that the book was good for shy guys who need 'help' in approaching women. All rather hilarious really. Considering the book seems more inclined to diminish woman and almost ridicule them. There was nothing on making light easy conversation. It makes a mockery of the whole notion of being in a deep and meaningful relationship or even wanting that sort of thing. Certainly the end of the book seems to suggest that most PUAs went through some kind of psychological break down. No mention of what became of the victims of these PUAs. I didn't gather that this was very important.

In general I don't feel this book will lead to a path of a loving relationship. It certainly doesn't promote qualities such as honesty, respect and regard for the other person. If you don't want a lifelong relationship and feel this is the life that you want, each to their own.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2014
Brilliant thanks very much, would use again!!! Fast and resonable. Great book funny helpful and is good as a gift
on 16 September 2013
So, usually the amazon ratings are so accurate, with such a high rating I truly believed this would be a great I was disappointed.

The book encourages men to look at women as "targets", what do they think they are, an animal to be hunted and shot? The book will encourage you to become a robot, act unnaturally, lie, deceive and put women down ("neg") just to get them into bed. Many other reviews say "Oh, well it will help you with confidence...", but there is a problem with the way it does this. It encourages you to not act naturally, memorize lines, deceive and act in any way possible to get the "target". It instills bad habits into you! How can you have a healthy relationship with a woman if you think this way? It's built on a foundation of lies, think about it, do you like it if your friends lie, trick and deceive you? Do these kind of friendships last long?

The characters Mystery (suicidal maniac), Tyler Durden (Psychopathic), Ross Jeffries (Confused with a child's mindset) and many of the other PUA's are clearly unstable, incomplete people with many of their own problems which they aren't able to overcome, their overall lifestyle is incomplete and they clearly aren't successful in their life overall.

A particularly disturbing part was on page 350 "If a woman has been married three years or more, you come to learn that she's usually easier to sleep with than a single woman", and Mr Strauss wants to be a father one day (and presumably get married). I wonder how his relationship will last with that kind of mindset. Are you the kind of guy who believes all women are like this? The book portrays all women to be sluts, who if you persist and use enough tricks you can get into bed. Now, think about it, is this realistic? Are your mother, sister, auntie, grandmother, cousins all like this? Have all women lost their values and morals? Are they all just sluts who should be manipulated and used? I would be utterly depressed if I believed this, I believe there are good women out there, and if you want to attract them you have to work on yourself to become a man who would appeal to her.

I will finish my post on how I think you could attract a beautiful woman (inside and out), into your life:

1. Fix yourself up, get a fashionable haircut (check magazines if you don't know), wear better clothes (again ask women with style or check magazines), look after your appearance in general (shower regularly and don't look scruffy).
2. Join the gym and get healthy (you don't have to be the next Arnold, but if you are overweight or too skinny, being a healthy weight is more attractive).
3. Join clubs and take courses to meet new people. (Examples include: dance classes, art classes, fitness classes, yoga classes etc). This will allow you to meet more people and improve your social skills.
4. Read books that actually improve your life! Self-help books on confidence, social skills, success, wealth, health and many more!

Improving yourself in this natural way, will not only attract better women to you, but also better quality friends,you will be happier overall! Once you start doing all these things you yourself will grow and naturally become a more attractive person...Hope this review helped and was useful (although I'm sure I'll get some stick for it, but I'll be happy if it even just helps one guy).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2010
While the book will probably draw you in with the expectations that it is some sort of instruction manual that teaches you how to be one of these illustrious pick-up artists, it is in fact one of the greatest works of semi-biographical non-fiction ever written. The book essentially depicts the story of how Neil Strauss, previously a man riddled with anxiety about his appearance and social capabilities, becomes a virtuoso in the field of conversation and social interaction.
It is a particularly enlightening read if you have some interest in verbal and non-verbal communication as it gives in depth analysis of how this can be used to your advantage, for example to get your way with women. However, it also non-directly teaches how this can be used in all walks of life just to become a more interesting person to everybody and yourself.

From reading this book, it is obvious how Neil Strauss is so succesful in his attempts to score with women, because this book is written in the same tone and style as you can imagine him using in coversation: And it's addictive. Once you pick this up it will be a challenge to put it down again. Effectively, Neil Strauss has implemented 'The Game' into his writing, and now that he has become a critically acclaimed author for it, it is obvious he has won.
on 3 August 2015
I loved reading this book from start to finish, and despite it's criticism from those who haven't read the book and think it is demeaning to women, then they should read the ending as it has a moral ending. I can't imagine the techniques strauss uses would work on women in the UK though.
on 22 July 2014
very entertaining gonzo story of one man's effort to infiltrate the geeky murky world of seduction web forums. the deep cover journalist inadvertently becomes the leader of the cult. and an interesting subtext that could be called the madness of courtney love.
on 20 November 2014
This was an intriguing read. The catalyst for picking it up (years ago and not finishing it) was to see how it could help with women as you can imagine. But in later life (now married and in a sales role), I thought it offer hints to the interaction and "sales seduction" for business. However, the seduction really becomes the back drop to what is an interesting journey through the writers journey to find himself - and eventually arriving back at being himself - but with a whole lives worth of experience which if he had encountered in the normal way and not as a mission would have made him the man he wanted to be either way. Particularly liked the way the writer threw himself into the new underground world and way out of his comfort zone to eventually become the person he so longed to be. An inspiration in that sense. Recommended read for some light hearted social dynamics.