5.0 out of 5 stars Survival tips, not only for the faint-hearted.
Published on 22 Dec 2009 by coffee-offline

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Wary.
I'm very wary of the reviews for this book. There seems to be very similar language throughout all of them, and the use of the hyphen in almost every review in similar contexts worries me.

Be your own judge.
Published on 21 Dec 2011 by Jack Kaczynski

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival tips, not only for the faint-hearted., 22 Dec 2009
After an unexpected tricky patch with "really difficult people", I reached for Mike's book for reassurance. In doing so, the little light bulb on the cartoon version of me flashed brightly, as I caught visions of myself, my situation and possible solutions in the pages of this friendly resource. The beauty of the book is in its lightness and accessibility, as I quickly find the chapters that speak to me and allow the nuggets of sensibility to land full-force in my lap. Not only am I not alone in my struggle with "the enemy", I feel understood and valued for my point of view as a reader - in one easy sitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars New approaches to making life easier, 11 Nov 2009
An inspirational book that is fun to read!

Although it has a work-based focus, the ideas in this book are equally useful for dealing with social situations. Can't stand your best friend's girlfriend? Got the father-in-law from hell?

- Learn how to get the best out of people you really don't like.
- Identify your goals in interactions (don't get lost in the mire!).
- Develop new approaches to getting what you want in difficult situations.
- Understand more about people who are very different from you.

Make life easier for yourself! Sometimes we can't change situations - or people! - but we can change how we react to them. This book facilitates change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strategies on dealing with difficult people (including oneself), 24 Nov 2011
I read this book looking for an insight into some personal relationships. It is focussed pretty completely on work, but many of the tips one could use elsewhere. Ideas I found interesting included:

Suggests putting thoughts about the situation in the past tense, so that "nothing will work" becomes "nothing has worked yet".

Planning to "do" one's feelings properly by taking time to experience them (thinking about how long one will nee dto "do" this feeling of anger or sadness, finding a good place and time, and having a plan about what one will do immediately after experiencing the feelings).

Preparing "spacing comments" to use in difficult situations, so one has neutral comments to calm things down, rather than reacting angrily or defensively.

Rethinking bad situations by, for instance, imagining a glass wall between oneself and the other person, or seeing it in still images rather than as a film.

Lists of things to think about to help one plan what to do in bad situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 20 Sep 2009
This is an essential tool for managers and members of their staff. Whilst the contents are informative and useful it is the book itself which is the "must have."
Simply place the book in a conspicuous place on your desk and your work colleagues will get the message immediately. If they become offended read the book and deal with their issues using the helpful tips. How can you lose!

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Working with the Enemy: How to Survive and Thrive with Really Difficult People (Kindle Edition)
I have just started this book and find already some helpful ways to deal worth the stress of living with a perfectionist who is under constant stress and who passes it on verbally. I am hoping to gain more from it so I can deal better with and not be affected by such behaviour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Wary., 21 Dec 2011

Be your own judge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Nov 2009
What a great book! So easy to dip in and out of, so you can get straight to the point with lots of very relevant survival guides! I love reading the different stories from people, it gives the book such a practical appeal. You can understand how to apply the theory and feel less alone with your challenge - other people have been there too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifeline, 11 Nov 2009
This book serves as really useful reference material for lifes challenges - no, you don't have to read it cover to cover but dip in at any point and you will find a gem.
I loved the real life stories, they rang so true and really helped to bring the learning to life.
Read it and welcome those challenging realationships rather than avoiding them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 1 Dec 2012
DP "dp" (Wokingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Doesn't really help.
Can't say that it gave any sensible advice that would help in a business situation.
Some websites give more common sense IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont just Survive - Thrive !, 26 Sep 2011
One of the things I like about the book is that it is full of great and useful practical tips & strategies to deal with REALLY difficult folk - not just at work but in all sorts of other situations - Best of all - dont just survive but THRIVE through it - Highly recommended