5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book
Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Katie

2.0 out of 5 stars Finding your father - eventually
I bought this book after reading the positive reviews. However, there was an unbelievable amount of typographical errors which became really annoying throughout the read. Some of the methods for finding his father were extremely long winded in explanation and I skipped through some pages, which I rarely do. I don't think it was ever proof read because as well as...
Published 21 months ago by Jegjewellery

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading "Cast No Stones". It details Kevin's childhood years in the slums of Salford and the stigma he unknowingly encountered for being the child of an American GI and the clues that led to him finally confronting his mother about his father. I was amazed at his determination to find his father in later years as he encountered one obstacle after another and the drama that unfolded. This is a very unusual story which has amazed me and I am very happy to have read it. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast no Stones, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
I found this an excellent read. I could not put it down once I had started.

From the start of the book I felt different emotions, sadness, some laughter, tears and anger.
This book really did make me think and analyse the situation.
Times were different and people's opinions and the way they treated others were different in the post war years.

In summing up, I felt that this was a three way story. Kevin's parents started it and they finished it and Kevin gave them that opportunity with his sheer determination and steadfastness to find out the truth about his father and at long last be able to slot everything into place for himself.

I would thoroughly recommend this book and would love to see a film made from this unbelievable story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put down., 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
Having had this book recommended to me 3 days ago, I could not put it down. I can honestly say I have thoroughly enjoyed learning all about Kevin and Laura.

Having been born and brought up in Salford myself although a generation after Kevin it was certainly an eye opener for a number of reasons.

Well done Kevin for being brave enough to tell your story. I'm sure you have paved the way for many more to follow in your footsteps. I certainly hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast No Stones, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
On reading this book I found it gripping and hard to set aside I found it to be a compelling story.

I have also had some upbringing in the Salford area so I can relate to some parts of the life Kevin has lead.
The book has heart breaking events of a Childs plight in the 1940,s being illegitimately born to an American service man and the way he was treated as a result.
If this book was fiction it would be a very good read so I find it to be exceptional as a true story.

Collecting the data for this book must have been hard work and must have taken a long time so I would like to congratulate you and say job well done Kevin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast no stones, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
Was unable to put this down just had to carry on reading to see what happend next really good read well done Kevin machell very well writian and both happy and sad at times. Although a true story at times it was so fantastic you would have no problem in believing that it was fiction

5.0 out of 5 stars couldnt put it down, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
A truly excellent read,once i started i couldnt put it down. I would highly recommend this to anyone and would be very hard pushed to find anyone who could not enjoy this facinating story.
Not the usually story i would go for myself but after having it recommended to me i thought id give it a go and im so glad i did.Full of sadness,full of happyness and a good few laughs aswell 5 star all day any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Written from the Heart with a capital "H", 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
I read this book within two days of downloading, at the time there were three reviews. Today, two weeks later, I go back to add my comments and there are twelve, I think that speaks volumes. Like most of the reviewers I'm familiar with the area Kevin's story is set in, and I'm four years younger than Kevin so I can still relate to the period. They were hard times for many people born in the North, without wealth or many opportunities to succeed. Kevin has described his personal journey in such a way that he involves the reader from the beginning. Well done Kevin for writing it and making it available to a wider audience, I think many younger readers will gain a better understanding of the hardships and stresses of that period in history from your book. Well done also for sharing a life which shows that, if your strong and determined,you can overcome extreme difficulties and still come out on top.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read., 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
Had the book recommended to me and it was my first Kindle download.
This was a painful yet very insightful text which was, as others have already said, difficult to put down. I feel that the journey, that the creation of the text afforded Kevin Machell, was offered to the Reader to enjoy (if that is the right word and not demeaning of such austerity), and further explore and grow with.
A really wonderful and worthwhile book that involves the Reader from the first page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
Once I started to read this book I found it hard to put down. Highly recommended to anyone. Very emotional in parts, it will make you smile and cry. An excellent read! Well done to Kevin for his first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book not to be missed!, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cast No Stones (Kindle Edition)
As has been said previously this is a book that is difficult to put down. The first book I have read on my Kindle and one I can certainly recommend. Kevin did not have an easy start in life and I think he has been very brave in sharing some of the more painful and sad episodes that have befallen him and his family. Towards the end of the book it becomes clear that it was all worthwhile. A good end to a very good book and I hope Kevin and his family will enjoy health and happiness in the future.

Cast No Stones