Top critical review
Leaks are an issue
on 19 January 2016
I've been looking around and trying different disposable diapers and loved the sound of gPants. I bought two gNappies, extra pouches and disposable inserts. We've been using these for one month now, and the following are the pros and cons that me and my husband found:
- Loving the fact that we can just wash the wet disposable inserts down the toilet. We live in a small town with one water reserve, and educated ourselves about the local used water filtration system. The fact that nappies end up as compost post-filtration is a great plus for me personally.
- Aesthetically prefer the look of bright colored gPants to conventional diapers.
- The plastic pouches get stained. Newborn poop stains everything it touches and the pouches are no exception. Even though we wash them with soap as soon as we take them off it never makes a difference
- Spillage. If we let our son hang out in his nappy until he tells us it's time for change and he peed his weight in the meantime, the gel absorbs as much as it can take, the nappy gets heavy, slides away from the sides of the pouch and the next pee goes right out of the pouch bypassing the disposable insert entirely and through to the cotton gPants and the clothes. It's an issue mostly during the night and long day time naps. But we count at least one case in 24 hour period
- Work. We always keep the other gPant on the changing table all ready to go, so we pop the old one off and the new one on. But after that comes at least a few minutes of work: disposing on the inserts, rinsing the plastic pouch (and it almost always wants at least a quick rinse), and if there're any spills or stains then also a quick handwash of the cotton pants (newborn feet move a lot, and often a couple of jerky moves mean that a foot went into the poopy pouch and out again, smothering poop all over the cotton pant). I ordered two more cotton gPants recently as a few times already we found ourselves out of cotton pants because both needed to be washed. We keep a pack of disposable eco diapers for cases like these, and every time I find them just so much easier to deal with. Sticking to gPants for now just because we ordered 12 packs of disposable inserts and working our way through them.
Overall: brilliant idea but needs an upgrade at least in the plastic pouch department, or the way disposable inserts fit into the pouches. Something to prevent leaks.
Ps. Ordered both the gPants, the disposable inserts, and extra pouches via Amazon. Disposable inserts and pouches came as ordered while the gPants arrived in wrong colors and sizes. Ordered three small - received two small and one medium. Ordered two green and one orange - received green, orange and blue. One small gPant has size 'M' printed inside the pant. Little things.