on 4 October 2011
Magic Molly's adventures start in the fairground, where she enters the Magic Maze, in search of The Void, where she aims to put her knowledge of spells to good use, to free her parents.
With a magician for a dad and a High Witch for a mum, you'd have thought her life would have been plain sailing and that she could get her wishes with the waft of a wand, but not so. Molly, despite being granted special privileges a year ahead of time, still has a lot of magic work ahead and a lot of using her clever little brain to work things out in order to fulfil her quest. Magic Molly's companion, Wonky the wand, may not be the perfect partner at first sight, but Magic Molly and Wonky are made for one another. Molly is a good little witch, and read on for some surprises. Wonky wands are not all that they seem.
Another excellent tale from Trevor Forest. This tale is on par with Roald Dahl in my opinion, so keep turning out those tales, Trevor!
on 24 April 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I think my favourite character is Granny Whitewand. What I liked about it:
I love the story and how it is set. I love Molly because she has cool magic powers. But most of all, I love Granny Whitewand because she is very funny and she has wobbly teeth.
I think it is going to be my favourite book.
(Erin - Aged 8)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 March 2012
The artwork on the jacket makes you want to open the book - then once inside, there's no going back, you're hooked! Yet another great book from a writer who can enthral children of all ages 8 through 80+. Molly Miggins is a likeable witch who uses her skills wisely and with the teaching from her parents and `support' of her trusted companion, Wonky, share magic moments with their readers. The story pulls the reader in, so you feel part of the story, a close observer.

This book is not limited to children, and definitely delivers a feel-good read for older readers. Everyone deserves a little magic, and Trevor shares it in his children's books. He has a way with words, and I can't wait for the next book in this series.
on 29 August 2012
Magic Molly 1-The Mirror Maze is a fun read for kids with elements of the classics that, in my opinion, need to be kept alive. I loved the fact that Molly's parents aren't the most fabulously successful witch/wizard ever, and that they have had a little hitch that has sent them to the void, giving Molly a nice little problem to solve. That they earn their living at the fairground is a great setting - the magic of the fairground less common these days in my part of the UK. Granny Whitewand is a witch I'd definitely love to meet. She's funny, a bit dithery, but I think just might have hidden moments in the next books in the series which I'll be reading very soon. Trevor Forest has a knack of finding the most perfect words to use to excite the imagination and spark the humour of the reader, young and old. Wonky wand looks like the perfect companion for a fledgling witch like Molly! A great book for middle primary ages.
on 2 November 2013
My daughter would like to write her own review on this book ..... This magic molly book is very good , i like the funny names in it and i love Granny Whitewand i love the pictures and how funny it is i also like it because there is a ballerina mouse in it and other funny talking pets as well like the rude parrot , i liked the bit when all the rabbits were hopping out the hat made me laugh so much i cant wait to start ready my other magic molly books .
My child has enjoyed this book as it is hard to find books that children sit and read to the end but she has done so with this one, I have read other books by Trevor Forest kids and adults one's and all have been a fabulous read for myself and my children , the illustrations are fabulous and these books are great for children and adults as well to sit and enjoy with children .This Author needs to be snapped up and quick and also would make a great children's program .
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 June 2014
On the surface Molly is like any other soon-to-be-nine year old, going to school, having friends (and enemies) and living an uneventful life. But Molly's family life is far from ordinary and leads to this, the first of her adventures as a young witch.
Molly has to face a series of challenges unaided when her parents, a High Witch and a magician, disappear when a trick goes wrong on the eve of her ninth birthday. True she has a grandmother, whose magic can have unpredictable results, to point her on her way and she does acquire a wand of her own, albeit one that has seen better days and requires special skill to overcome his "Wonky" shape.
As in the best quest stories each achievement is met by a further setback and it seems that Molly is set to fail in her endeavours to find her parents, now lost in the Void, before the deadline but Molly' perseverance and eventual mastery of Wonky stand her in good stead. Just what those challenges are and how Molly deals with them are things you will have to find out for yourself. No doubt you will find yourself looking out for the next adventure very soon.
Magic Molly and the Mirror Maze is one of those tales that is timeless, appealing to adults as well as children making it ideal for the child to read alone or to be shared as a bedtime story.
on 4 June 2012
Trevor Forest does it yet again, a children's story with punch, bite, action and sheer enjoyment inducing funny characters. Granny Whitewand is amazing, I adore her. As a child, I grew up on Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, Famous Five, Hans Christian Anderson and I lament the passing of these classics, as time moves on. Tonight I read my sons a very funny book, but it was about bogies. I ask you, bogies? Tomorrow night I shall be reading them this book, which will literally knock the snot out of its predecessor! I have Magic Molly 2 on my Kindle and I look forward to delving into that too. Trevor Forest has a knack of speaking to his young audience, not dumbing down or talking at them, and this, along with the lovely illustrations, give his books a real kick. I love Magic Molly and her world, and I can't wait to introduce my children, and their imagination sensors to her. These books also translate well to Kindle, some children' books don't due to the layout and the pictures are lost, but this is not lost in translation and will keep a child engaged, even if they are a younger audience.

Blyton and Dahl, there's a new pen in town!

Rachel Dove, The Kindle Book Review
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 March 2014
I am old enough to have grandchildren (although I am not quite as old as Granny Whitewand) andI loved this book about young witch Molly Miggins and her first foray with her new wand. Trevor Forest has written a very good story the end of which (is that a pun?) makes me want to read the next instalment in Molly's adventures and escapades.The illustrations are really good too - very well drawn, simple and relate to the text. They are black and white on kindle - not sure whether they are colour in the print version but black and white works well for me.
on 10 February 2013
Born the child of a High Witch and a Magician who uses real magic, Molly Miggins lives in an enchanted world many would envy. Molly's parents, The Great Rudolpho and the High Witch, are preparing for a live vanishing act at the funfair when - whoosh! They actually do vanish!
Molly looks backstage in the hope of finding them. Suddenly out of the mist appears a wizard, from The Magic Council, who tells her she is the only who can rescue her parents and bring them back. But, for this purpose Molly must become a witch. The wizard issues Molly with a deadline to complete her task. The problem is, although it is Molly's ninth birthday in the morning, to enter the Witches Academy and take the Witches Promise, she must be ten. At the wizard's behest, arrangements are hastily made and Molly is given special dispensation to enter the Academy a year early. She attends the Witches Promise ceremony wearing full uniform, including the wrong colour tunic, her own choice of bright yellow, and a bent hat, and armed with `the oldest spell known to witch kind' - a birthday present from her grandma. To add to this mixed bag of fortune, at the Academy she is given a crooked wand, which proves quite difficult to aim when casting spells.
Will Molly ever be able to master the wand and complete the task before the wizard's deadline, or will she lose her parents forever! Without spoiling it, that is as far as I can go, but I can tell you it is certainly worth reading the whole story.
Mr Forest seems to have an inherent aptitude for connecting with his young readers. The story has bags of humour and the narrative is well-constructed. There is also the nice little sub-plot involving Molly's antagonist, Henrietta, whose taunting and bragging Molly has been subjected to for far too long. It seems Henrietta thinks daddy's money can buy just about everything she desires. A lesson is subtlety thrown in here.
I adored Granny Whitewand with all her foibles, and Molly's first clumsy attempts at magic were engaging and comical. All in all, a fun and entertaining read.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My daughter and I both loved this book. Here's what we have to say:

DAUGHTER SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it:

I thought that the story was a really fun adventure and I really want to read the next books. I liked that it wasn't too long of a book but it ended in a way that I really want to know what happens next because I want to know what happens to her Mom.

I liked that the way her parents disappeared in the middle of doing a magic trick where they should re-appear but instead they disappear into the void. I liked that instead of evil witches there were good witches like Molly. I thought that when she was getting her wand it was cool because there were some nice ones and some mean ones. I liked that her crazy grandma would never say her name right. Instead of "Molly" she would call her "Millie" - it was funny.

I didn't really understand what the void was and I wish it had been explained a bit better. But Mom then explained what it means and I now know that it means "nothingness" and "where failed magic goes".

My bottom line:

I love loved this book and I would recommend it to girls 8 years and older.

MOM SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it:

Magic Molly: The Mirror Maze takes the reader on an adventure filled with intrigue and magic told through the eyes of a young, coming-of-age witch. Forest creates a fantastical world mixed with witches, wizards, magicians, and muggles and I love the way he jumps right into the story with the introduction of a fortune teller who provides Molly with a foreshadowing of things to come.

This was a really fun read. The story is peppered with humorous incidents and elements such as Molly's bumbling with early attempts at magic which result in the appearance of an endless stream of rabbits and her witch's hat growing flowers. Granny Whitewand provides a great deal of comic relief throughout the book by providing just the right amount of witchy sassiness. She insists that Molly's name is Millie, she crash-lands her "non-air-worthy" broomstick, and she disrupts the Witches Promise Ceremony when she forgets to turn on her hearing aid.

I really appreciated Forest's realistic representation of the experiences and thought processes of a typical 9 year old girl. While Molly does have a best friend in the story, Jenny (a muggle), we are also introduced to her nemesis, Henrietta (also a muggle) who is the rich snob who buys her way into the Witches Academy. Henrietta, as well as a haughty magic wand and an ungracious magic mirror are introduced in the story as some of Molly's minor adversaries with which she must contend.

Her biggest adversary is the mysterious Wizard from the High Council of Magic who both advises Molly how to find her parents and places obstacles in her path. I found this a bit confusing. When the wizard is first introduced, he tells Molly how her parents can be rescued and I initially thought that he was one of Molly's allies, but by the end of the book, it is clear he is not. In the letter from the High Council that Molly receives at the end of the book, she is described as a "worthy opponent". It is just not clear to me why her parents were kidnapped in the first place and just who is the "good guy" and who is the "bad guy". I realize that The Magic Maze is the first book in the series and that it represents the first part of the task, so I'll just have to read the next books to seek further clarification. I'm good with that! :)

My bottom line:

This was a very enjoyable read. There are so many unpredictable twists that will keep you guessing what will happen next. I would highly recommend this book and the next books in the series to children aged 7+.

*Magic Molly: The Magic Maze was provided to us free-of-charge by the author in exchange for our honest opinion.*