5.0 out of 5 stars The superb Vax U89-P9-P Power 9 Pet Vacuum
I was just about to order the Vax P8 Power Pet vaccum which had received glowing feedback from other users when I noticed there was a newer model advertised the P9 Power Pet vaccum so decided to order the newer model which was around 10 more expensive.
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Paul Hearle

Published 15 months ago by Suebee

5.0 out of 5 stars The superb Vax U89-P9-P Power 9 Pet Vacuum, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Vax U89-P9-P Power 9 Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
I was extremely impressed by how quickly the new cleaner was delivered to my address in Spain. Upon opening the box I found that the vaccum was very easy to assemble.
So all set up and ready to go!! My previous cylinder cleaner did not pick up long dog hairs very well. I was quite shocked at what the Power Pet 9 got out of the deep pile rugs in my apartment, the amount of dust and dirt in the collection chamber made me realise just how good this machine is. Also no more problem with picking up those long dog hairs, they were easily dealt with by the P9 Power Pet vaccum. The 10 meter power cord is also a great feature as I only need to use two sockets to clean the whole apartment.
From deep in the pile the P9 brought up sewing pins which must have hidden deep in the pile for almost 3 months!!
Being used to a cylinder machine I was a little reluctant to change to an upright cleaner but I found the P9 easy to manoeuvre. Much easier on my back than pulling a cylinder machine around behind you.
Like with feedback on previous Vax Power Pet vaccums the machine might be fairly noisy, but in view of the cleaning performance of this machine then that is something that you are more than happy to put up with.
This is a 5 star machine that I would fully recommend to anyone, especially anyone who has the problem of picking up pet hairs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy another Vax after this one - loses suction fast and filter needs washing weekly, 28 April 2013
I have had Vax vacuums for the last 15 or so years and have stuck with them as I have found them to be reliable and very good value for money - until I got this one. I would no longer recommend Vax. The main problem is that this vacuum rapidly looses suction. I have 2 toddlers and we have to hoover every day because they are pretty messy! This means that because it looses suction when the main filter clogs up (which happens very quickly) we have to clean it about once a week. That wouldn't be too much of an issue except that you have to wash it and it takes a lot of washing to get it clean. You then have to allow it to dry for 24 hrs before you can use the vacuum again. Not exactly ideal in a busy household where it is often needed more than once a day. And once the filter is full you can't use the vacuum as not only does it loose suction but it drops what it has previous collected onto the carpet when you turn it off, so you get a pile of debris underneath it wherever it was when it stopped.
There are other little niggles too The lead tidy snapped off within a couple of weeks - which wasn't too much of an issue as the position of the lead is really inconvenient anyway, so we just wind it up and hang it over the handle - much faster if not quite so tidy. It is heavy and cumbersome to push. It is very loud. It has to be set on short pile on every carpet type in our house or it doesn't touch the carpet. Some of our carpets are quite thick but it still needs the short setting.
It does have a couple of positives - the edge brushing is very good when the suction is good - non existent as it drops though. When the filter is clean the suction is very good,

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Vacuum Cleaner but..., 4 April 2012
This vacuum cleaner is very powerful and sucks up a lot of dirt meaning it needs to be emptied quite frequently. Plus it is heavy for a vacuum cleaner so can be cumbersome to manouvre and not suitable for small rooms.

You need to register the vacuum cleaner online with the manufacturer in order to benefit from the 2 year guarantee.

The drive belt snaps easily if something gets stuck in the brushes. Admittedly this is a safety feature designed to stop the motor burning out. So you have to be careful not to get too close to anything that could jam the brushes. You would do well to stock up on drive belts in advance of this happening. The Vax belts are more expensive than the generic belts widely available on the internet (ebay). But the generic belts haven't got the safety feature of snapping when the brushes get jammed so you run the risk of burning out the motor. Which would be an expensive repair if you haven't got the guarantee plus if you use generic belts not Vax ones then I believe your guarantee would be voided anyway.

As you might be able to tell I wasn't aware about the gurantee issues until it was too late for me to register the vacuum cleaner. It is a very good machine and would buy one again, but I would make sure to register it to qualify for the gurantee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful. Good alternative to a Dyson., 19 Nov 2012
When our old De Stile Dyson packed up again, and rejected the latest attempt to revive it, we had to turn our attention to getting something new.

Many years have passed since we bought our Dyson, and in that time, a lot of other vacuums have come on to the market, many boasting the coveted Cyclone technology originally invented by Dyson, so in these times of austerity, we looked beyond the mighty Dysons (with their equally mighty price tags) for something that would clean the carpets and furniture. It's only a vacuum cleaner after all!

We settled for a Vax in the end.

It's quite a big beast, actually. It's pretty easy to assemble from boxed, and it includes a mini, hand-held cleaner stowed on the unit itself. All in all, it is quite an inspired design. The hand-held cleaner is activated by a mere swapping of a tube, and it is designed to pick up pet hairs with ease. You can also change this for the long tube for getting into corners, which is also stowed on the main vac unit, a bit like a sword in a scabbard.

The good news is, this thing has great suction power. It takes a lot of dirt and dust off the carpets, as you can see from the build-up in the clear plastic dust collector at the front, which is over 4 litres in capacity so it doesn't need emptying so often. When it comes to emptying it, the plastic unit detaches easily, retains the contents and is easily emptied by the flick of a switch at the bottom.

It's not all good though. This thing is heavy! To get the suction power you want, you have to lower the foot to the closest setting to the floor. Unfortunately, that means there is a lot of drag, making the machine difficult to push and heavy to use. After doing a room with a slightly deep-pile carpet, you can really feel you've given yourself a workout in your dominant hand and arm. I'm sure that the onerous task of cleaning should be made as easily as possible. Add to that the design of the handle. It is plastic and does not seem ergonomically designed at all, so after you've been pushing it for a while, you get a sore hand. I am sure that could have been designed a bit better. I would not recommend it for anyone elderly!

All in all, though, we are happy with the Vax. It is as powerful as our original Dyson was, possibly more, and it is excellent value for the price. No question, if you've got the money to get a Dyson, then get a Dyson by all means. If you haven't, this might suit you, especially if you've got strong arms.

1.0 out of 5 stars vax u89 p9 power pet, 21 Aug 2012
this vax machine is the worst hoover i have ever purchased the pipes keep falling off whilst hoovering and is so heavy i hate it will never purchase a vax again.

2.0 out of 5 stars not very impressed, 10 April 2012
C. Rowley - See all my reviews
this was to replace our u90 p4p vacuum, 1 that had lasted and performed very well for years. this is a powerful vacuum. though i find it has to be emptied often, the cylinder is large, but i find that both of the filters block very quickly. the hepa filter gets dirty very quickly, and requires washing pretty much each time the cylinder is emptied, which then takes forever and a day to dry. the first time we removed the filter to clean it (the second time we used the vacuum) the top layer of the filter started coming away from the rest of it, it doesnt seem well built well enough to last very long. the cord is good however as its really long, and the hose is really long too. personally i wish i had gone for the u90 p5p.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!, 28 Mar 2012
Wow this Vax hoover is GOOD. Really easy to assemble, but you do need a Philips screwdriver. It sucked up an embarassing amount of dirt/dust/cat hair with the first use and left my carpets feeling really clean. GOod long flex on it too. The small 'turbo' head on it for doing the stairs has rotating brushes too, so it does a fab job of the stairs carpet and the pipe's long too. The only down side I would say is that it's very loud, and I wear industrial ear protectors, but I suffer with tinitus and sensitive hearing anyway. Other people might be fine with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good vacuum for the money - certainly picks up pet ..., 9 Aug 2014
Michael Spencer (Bromham, bedford) - See all my reviews
Good vacuum for the money - certainly picks up pet hairs no problem. I have a large Japanese Akita who molts twice a year - very heavily. This cleaner picks up the hairs no problem, but the filter blocks quickly and easily. Providing you clean the filter after every use (very easy to do) there's no problem. You can't really clean the filter immediately before use as you need to wash it in warm soapy water - so it needs to be dry before putting back in the cleaner - so don't forget.

It's VERY noisy, and perhaps a little uncomfortable on the hand grip, but does the job well.

This is my second one, because the first one I bought blew up in the first month (big blue flash from the motor). But the supplier sent me a knew one out under warranty right away and even let me keep the first one for spares - so having 2 filters is a big plus.

Would recommend if you don't mind the noise and are looking for a low cost cleaner that can deal with pet hairs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cleans well but terribly noisy, 1 Jun 2013
This is a very powerful cleaner but one needs to wear ear protectors when using it. The noise is exceptionally loud, almost unbearable. I will only use it occasionally for a really deep clean.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy and clumsy, 8 April 2013
H. Squires "Maureville" (Poitou-Charentes, France) - See all my reviews
Why didn't I follow the advice of the less-than enthusiastic reviewers before I bought this vacuum cleaner?...Well, many years ( at least 12) ago I found a 'Big Bubble'bagless Vax in my local supermarket for less than 40. This would still be going strong but for the lousy replacement parts ( belts) that don't last 5 minutes ( and I mean FIVE minutes!)
So, many people rated the 'Power-9 Pet Bagless Upright vacuum Cleaner' quite highly..the price was good...and I ignored all the people who said it was heavy and clumsy.
Big mistake!
It is heavy... Ok for carpets, but suction on the hose is poor when it's working, but it blocks easily..the filter ( bring back the cone filter!)and dirt-container need constant changing & if you don't re-fit them back together again tightly everything blows apart the next time you turn it on spraying dust evrywhere. It is clumsy and unmanoeuvrable. Using 2 hands on the hose means that the cleaner falls over. Unfortuanately I don't have 3 hands. Also the electric lead is constantly in the way.
I think I may have been generous giving it 2 stars.
Why, oh why, have Vax stopped making the wonderful, lightweight but efficient 'Big Bubble'.