4.0 out of 5 stars A great PSP, if you want to play alone..
Finally my launch day PSP has stopped working at all well, the UMD drive will not stay shut, and has become very temperamental, so I have had an eye on this to replace it.

Published on 5 Nov 2011 by A. Page-Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars memory card
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by vlucyb

4.0 out of 5 stars A great PSP, if you want to play alone.., 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)

I could have bought one of the more expensive models, with all the wireless, and other features built in, but I do not use the PSP enough to warrant the higher price, and when I thought about it, I do not use the wireless play at all.

So I have purchased one and I am very pleased with it, the console to me is more practical than the other models in one important way, it has a matte finish, so no finger marks show up, also many of the gaming forums have made a fuss of it only having one speaker, but after a few hours play, I realised that I had not noticed the difference, and the sound is still stereo through headphones.

Finally Sony have made a PSP with a decent D-pad, it is raised much higher, and has a much stiffer feel to it, and is therefore much more precise when playing beat em ups and shooting games, I sailed through some sections of games where previously the hardware had let me down, the four action buttons are designed the same way, the analogue nub is identical, but has one important difference, you can adjust it's range of movement, the shoulder buttons are also much the same.

I do not know if any later models of the PSP have this function, the original did not, but the E1000 has a UMD cache function, which when enabled stops the machine accessing the drive so often, this has meant games like Metal Slug Anthology do not have as many of the annoying pauses in gameplay so often, still not perfect, but better.

When inserting the disc, there is no release button, you just click the back open to insert the disc, and the entire back of the console opens up, this is so the battery can be accessed, which is located next to the drive.

Also gone are the individual buttons for volume control etc, and the screen brightness can only be changed in the system settings, the buttons are replaced with a touch bar under the screen.

The Memory Stick Pro goes in an open slot in the top of the machine, and is the full size one, not the micro that the PSP Go uses, and it is a given that none comes in the box, the pack is pretty basic, just a manual, the machine and an AC adaptor, no strap, no card, this is the budget model after all.

The machine is pretty much back to the size of the original now, but to my eyes has a much better screen, it is sharper, the colours vibrant, the picture is fabulous, again, I could not comment if it is an improvement over later models.

Despite the lack of wireless, games can still be downloaded from the PSN, the easiest way is through a PS3, just plug a USB cable into the top, pay for the game in the store, and then copy it to the PSP, the machine does have to be registered to your PS3 console though.

The other way is through a PC, using the MediaGo application, but I have used this a bit, and it is a pain in the neck, as it is updated so often, that it needs to be re-installed frequently, and it takes a while to do, again, just use a USB cable to connect, with no wireless, a PC is the only way to do a firmware update, or off a UMD game that needs it.

The lack of any kind of wireless mode is going to be an immediate killer for some potential customers, there is no Adhoc mode for local play, and no internet modes at all, so anyone wanting some two player Fifa action will not be interested in this.

Personally I could not care less, I have rarely used it myself so it is no loss, though it does beg the question, why on the box is it described as the Street PSP, when it is such a solo experience?

This is a cheaper way to get into the world of PSP, and the games can be sourced very cheaply on UMD too.

So to sum up, this can be very much recommended to anyone who wants to try the great games the PSP has to offer, but you will be playing alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars New budget PSP, 25 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
The PSP-E1000 is a new generation model, made AFTER the SLIM versions (v.2000, v.3000). It's a cheaper alternative to both the older and newer models (Go, Vita).

Pros:
- Plays UMDs (disks), which are cheaper than the downloaded versions from the Playstation Network
- Sound, visual, and processing quality is on par with/greater than v.3000
- Much cheaper than all other models
- Can play games that are downloaded onto a Memory Stick from the PSNetwork.

Cons:
- No Wifi, therefore no co-op or versus gameplay with other PSP users
- Slightly fatter and heavier than the PSP-3000
- No additional features (as with PSP-Vita)

Contents:
- Console
- EU Adaptor plug
- Manual

Conclusion:
This is great if you just want to play single player games, either from UMD or Memory Stick (not provided). It's as efficient as the SLIM versions without the heavy price tag. I bought this just to make sure that I could continue playing my favourite PSP game Dissidia 012.
I'm also waiting on a new Naruto fighting game coming out next month, which isn't available on PSNetwork yet. So being able to play UMDs is an advantage. I recommend this for those who can't afford to pay the mega prices online.

3.0 out of 5 stars memory card, 3 Jan 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
My daughter has just bought this PSP with her christmas money and was very excited when it finally arrived. Luckily she also bought herself some movies because when she tried to play her game it said she needed a PSP memory stick to play the game properly. Just wanted to warn anyone who has never experienced the PSP before ( we are used to Nintendo DS) to buy a memory card when you purchase the PSP so you don't have any disappointed children. Can't comment on gameplay as she now has to wait for memory card to be delivered but she is really enjoying scooby doo film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely top notch, 16 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
Absolutely fantastic piece of machinery. Great price. Great quality and very easy to use. Good quality games are usually found cheaply if you know where to look (Amazon prices are a great start).

Although there is no Wi-Fi in this PSP model, this has not bothered me as I don't play internet games, so if this is you then this is the best choice.

In short: if you're looking for a console for travelling or for some great games and you don't want Wi-Fi, you should definitely get this addded to your basket :)

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN! jOY AND PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
I am not a gamer but l bought this gadget for my cousins in Nigeria. They loved it so much that for all the time l was with them, they never put it down. there was always some one on it playing a game or music. All in all a very good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a win., 9 July 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
Purchased one month back. It's a pure win for me. What's with the hefty price tag for online functionality? I just cannot see the appeal. I have a mobile phone which can offer me internet at a faster speed. - Perfect to relive the classic PSX games as well as the newer PSP UMD's. Only fault is the flimsy back. It's not biggie but its weird how Sony allowed that through production. After all this is SONY were talking about. The specs are amazing and the gameplay follows suit! I'm a happy customer :) FIN.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good budget model, but with limitations you need to know about before buying, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
All in all it's actually a good budget PSP for those who want to still be able to play their single player UMD games, but a word of warning I've not seen mentioned in the other reviews: It has a very poor viewing angle. You have to be looking directly at the screen or the image appears darker to the point of not being able to see anything clearly on screen.

For some reason, the viewing angle is better from above (looking down) than below (looking up). Which is not the natural way to view or hold one of these.

If you sit with the E1000 PSP in your hands but resting in your lap, the top of the unit will naturally tilt away from you. This is just the way that your hands will naturally hold the unit. However, this causes the screen to appear darker. So instead, you have to sit holding the unit with it positioned directly parallel to your viewing angle.

At first, I didn't notice this, but as my playing position became more relaxed over time, I started to notice the darkening of the screen and how I had to keep the unit directly facing me to avoid the darker image. It's not a deal breaker, but it does mean it's less comfortable to play on for long periods of time than my previous (original model) PSP.

But ... it's not so bad that I sent it back. It's just one of the limitations on a much cheaper model.

If you don't want the WiFi (or the local multi-player) functionality, but you do want to be able to play your old UMD games and films, this is a cheap option that works quite well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony PSP, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
It is great and my daughter loves it but I am glad that I read previous reviews otherwise I wouldn't of known that I needed a memory stick or memory card to play the games

2.0 out of 5 stars EXTRAS NEEDED, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
Bought these for my teenage sons they were thrilled until they started playing the games and found that they can not save any progress without having a memory stick. I think that sony are being very unfair you would have thought that they would provide one with the console at least to get the kids started, nintendo does with the 3ds systems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great console, would be better with WiFi, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black) (Console)
In my honest opinion, the PSP is still one of the best MP3 players on the market. Works flawlessly with both PC and MAC and does not require any type of a 3rd party software to put music on it. The only drawbacks are that it is a bit on the bulky side and this particular version lacks any kind of WiFi implementation.

Sony PSP Console (Charcoal Black)