5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound system for a stunning price
This is an outstanding HiFi system with many features and, above all, an excellent sound. I am listening mainly to classical music and the sound is crystal clear, very rich and spacious. A true pleasure to listen to. The DAB radio is brilliant and the playback of CDs (burned as well) and of MP3 on a memory stick very satisfactory as well, depending obviously on the level...
Published on 20 May 2012 by LeorS

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony Should Do Better
Me and Mrs M were looking for a unit to replace the ancient analogue radio that has served in our kitchen for decades. Our wish list was simple: a radio that ideally would work with DAB, an embedded CD player and the ability to stream music from a PC. Surprisingly, the Sony CMT-G2BNIP seemed to be the only product on the market that did all of these things - nobody...
Published 22 months ago by Bob Monkhouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars sony cmtg1bip, 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sony CMTG1BIP Hi-Fi Sound System with DAB Radio (Electronics)
very happy with this system.only thing bad to say is that you can not play the DAB radio until you have an Ariel
they dont come with any system i am told.
went to Tandy and got one for a couple of pounds and works well.
nice sound and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Mini Hi-Fi & Radio, 20 May 2012
Very good value for money.Sounds nice.DAB radio plays just with the ariel supplied.All round good setup,and easy to use.Get one now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked!, 14 April 2012
Alan D. Evans "Big Al" (London) - See all my reviews
Been lookin' around for a decent stereo for a while! Went to Comet to check a few out, all very disappointing and expensive! Then I saw this little beauty for under 200 quid! the sound is brilliant! got a really good kick to to the volume it goes all the way to 50! Also it looks great and is small! So reduced from over 400 quid this is a very good deal! BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tired of paying thousands for Hi-Fi, 24 Dec. 2012
I purchased this item after many years of purchasing far more expensive Hi-Fi the unit meets all the claims made for it by the manufacturer; great unit, great value for money.

NB. I had to temporarily down my internet firewall to fully set up the Hi Fi unit

5.0 out of 5 stars I dont normally do one of these, 14 July 2012
I have been looking for a decent hi fi for ages. This ticks all the boxes. I am so impressed with it. The sound quality is second to none, it has everything. That is the big plus. Most players have either the internet radio, dab etc or a cd player. This one has both. Its nice to have a player that plays the past as well as the future. The set up is easy enough. I can not think of a single fault. well done Sony

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Micro Hifi!!, 18 April 2012
Received one of these hifi's as a gift for my birthday. From the moment I opened up the packaging I was impressed! the attention to detail was superb and the design of the unit (especially the gloss speakers) look fantastic. Once connected up I began to test the sound quality across my music collection and was very impressed with how it coped with my very eclectic and diverse collection.

For its size its by far the best sounding and best looking hi fi I have ever owned, probably the best birthday present I have received too!

With internet radio and the ability to stream music from my tablet i cant think of any other features I would need out of a hi fi unit.

5* - a very happy customer :)

5.0 out of 5 stars the best on the block!!!!, 25 Jan. 2013
I was absolutely blown away with this hi-fi, my dad has the cmt1 which I was rather impressed with and he persuaded me to go for the cmt2, all the qualities of the 1 but more!
The sound quality is amazing but you will have to get some use out of it first to experience its full potential as the speakers need some time to break in if your going to be listening to really bass-full music such as dance, dubsteb, electronica or drum and bass.
The internet radio function is really impressive and easy-ish to get connected but very easy to use once it is connected.
One of the big buying features for me was the airplay feature as I like to have background music with me when I play Xbox so it is really easy to change songs and I don't have to get out of the chair mid-game. You can even wirelessly stream movies with it.
The DAB is great, the sound quality is good and the reception is very good, even though I live in a very rural countryside place. The update on the display is a little big laggy but I'm not sure if this is a problem with the radio station or the hi-fi.
The only thing i will negatively say about it is that its a little on the large side so you will probably need to create its own space but no problem for me as I will be getting a shelf up for it soon.
I own 3 Sony products, this, the Sony xperia u mobile, and a Sony radio alarm clock an none of them have let me down. In fact, no Sony product I have ever bought has let me down.
They've hit the nail right on the head with this little number, well done Sony!!!

The Dad:
Ignore what my son says about that dubstep trud, or whatever dubstep etc is. The Sony unit sounds much better with a bit of classical music, in fact it rocks with it! Try it with Classic FM, or better still with Gregorio Allegri's Miserere. It absolutely sings.

Back to me: Ignore him, he knows nothing, thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A palpable bargain, 23 April 2012
Mr. A. J. Downs (UK) - See all my reviews
I was encouraged to buy this unit by M. O'Dwyer's most helpful review and can concur with every word of that review. The sound quality is excellent, and the whole thing is as easy to set up as the review said. At the price this is truly a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars good sound system for your kitchen/garden, 25 Jun. 2012
I bought this system for two reasons: first cable can be detached from columns and from the unit, which allows me to freely move the system around my house (kitchen <-> terrace) leaving carefully threaded cabling behind kitchen cabinetry in place. The second thing is of course the wifi module, which comes also very handy in garden party/terrace dinner situations. This allows me to quickly set up the sound system anywhere in my garden. It will play files from my openwrt/miniDLNA server via wifi within a few seconds since I finish with the hook up.
The unit comes well packed in a rather compact box, well protected by foamed polystyrene panels. Enough to say that it neatly survived 1000km trip in DHL trucks to my home. I saved the box in case I would like to take the unit with me on on my holidays.
The build quality of the main unit is very good. Speakers are very nice, but their glossy surfaces easily show all finger prints and dust. This however is not very surprising. The main unit is very heavy, giving the impression that no precious space inside was wasted. Controls work good, knobs have good feel to them, the display is big and legible (however lacking dimming/brightness adjustment) and can show lots of information (the biggest display I've seen in such systems). The remote is somewhat bulky, but it provides access to the whole functionality of the unit.
Internet radio services programming is a little bit sluggish when you have to scroll through large services/categories lists. A web application would be more convenient. The android app you may find in the google app store is far from perfect - it omits some tracks/album from my server altogether and lacks any support of internet services, which is really a shame.
USB navigation is the best I've seen among all mini sound systems I've recently compared (denons, yamahas, etc.). It works reliably, gives you quick access to folders, the usb port reads ok any media I tried.
All in all the system is well engineered, convenient in everyday use, reliable, stable, usable and versatile except for...
the sound quality
Sound-wise I am purist and now I've been listening to vocal/acoustic/folkish style music. My reference sound system (DIY with a digital EQ, calibrated using Room EQ Wizard with reference-ish mic) delivers the cleanest sound I ever had, free from any annoying resonances. This sound system however fails to provide this. In terms of sound clarity it is far from top yamaha systems I tried out in shops (which however failed in terms of design and interface ergonomics, usb support and didn't have any wifi functionality).
I will not describe the sound this system produces, since it is no point to it, as this hugely depends on the location and relative position of loudspeakers, listener's head, walls, sound-absorbing/reflecting materials nearby, type of music you play (it's embedded eq) and similar stuff. Enough to say that the amp is a digital type and the speakers are well matched to it, so you won't encounter any distortions all the way up. Trebles are not audiophile but above the average, bass is capable of delivering a lot of energy but it has some overexposed resonances in lows, which are difficult to compensate and which are the only serious weakness of this unit. However this is not an audiophile piece of equipment (forget about flac support). On the other hand it will not give you a headache when you try to tune it to your sound preferences, as it only gives you two knobs for this, each with a few discrete steps. So you will really fast understand that it will not sound good no matter how hard you try. It may only sound acceptable. But again, it depends on what one deems acceptable...
So if you're looking for convenience, functionality, great design and decent audio quality, you may go for it. If serious sound quality is your top priority, don't bother with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 9 May 2012
K. R. Fellows - See all my reviews
How times change. I bought this to replace my 20 year old separates hifi system.

The old system cost around £900 20 years ago and included a cassette player which I had to replace with a CD player about 10 years ago and then I had to add a DAB tuner.

This little box from Sony cost me less than £150 and, as far as I can tell, is every bit as good as the old system. My only small criticism is that it's not as pretty or as aesthetic to look at!

I would also like to mention the suppplier, Peter Tyson and their carrier DPD. Absolutely immaculate service. Internet retailing as it should be!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›