5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it
As the believable situation unfolded it kept drawing you in with action ... Telisa, a xenoarchelogist is recruited by a group to retrieve alien artefacts from a newly discovered planet. Only problem is that the government has a shoot to kill policy on smugglers to keep the wraps on the alien artefacts. They are discovered and a chase continues but they end up finding a...
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by Woody

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, cheerful, entertaining, and not much more
This is another of those cheap n cheerful books by an unknown author that the Kindle is so good for. It, like most of the author's other books, appears to be only available as an e-book.

As is typical of books like this, the writing is not of the best. Dialogue is wooden, there are a few minor inconsistencies in the plot, and characters are very flat. But, as...
Published on 25 May 2012 by D. R. Cantrell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Cover; Poor Novel, 30 Dec 2013
Chris Barrett (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If you're reading this review then it's probable you're on Amazon for the same reason I was. You were browsing online, saw an ad for a new sci-fi novel with a professional looking cover and reckoned it might be worth giving the first, free installment a shot.

There is a reason this book is being given away for free on Amazon, and that's because no print publisher would touch it. The writing is cumbersome at best, frequently delving into outright clumsy. The characters are bland and two dimensional, with the prose littered with thinly veiled and weakly executed jabs at the government that sound like they came from a fourteen year old who had just picked up a pamphlet on libertarianism.

The one reason I have given it more than one star is that the plot itself is at least interesting, and in the hands of a better author I would probably buy the rest of the series. And maybe I'm being a little harsh because before moving on to McCloskey's work I had just read the whole of Iain M Banks' Culture series from start to finish, which is some of the best science fiction I have ever read. But having read The Trilisk Ruins I'm plenty certain that I won't be bothering to waste any more of my time, and certainly not my money, on this author.

Unless you really don't have anything else to read, I wouldn't bother. At least it's free

1.0 out of 5 stars free book from amazon, 31 Dec 2013
the trilisk ruins never worked from that day to this and every time I tried to download it to my kindle I ended up on the amazon site.
what could I complain about it was free. don't offer me any more free books thank you .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›