4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to HTML5's Canvas
Published on 3 Jun 2011 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars HTML 5 Canvas - Old meets new.
Simple, elegant and to the point. The book delivers easy to follow solutions ideal for those new to Canvas and those new to HTML 5. From the basics of JavaScript and HTML 5 to animation the book guides the reader extremely well without being overbearing.

Published on 28 Jun 2011 by Peter Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars HTML 5 Canvas - Old meets new., 28 Jun 2011

For the beginner the book is ideal, for those of us who have played the game for a while the book is a useful reference tool, there is not sufficient detail for my tastes but the book certainly opens the doors to questions and further investigation.

The gaming chapters took me back especially Asteroids, although the concepts of collisions might cause some to scratch their heads.

In summary this beginner level book delivers enough information to get you started with interesting examples to maintain interest, the book is written well and can be enjoyed at your own pace. The book will leave you with questions and hopefully the desire to dig deeper and find out more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to HTML5's Canvas, 3 Jun 2011
I received a copy of this book to review a few weeks ago, and I have to say that overall I am very impressed. The tone of the book is very friendly and warm, and the author takes pains not to overburden the reader; exactly what you want for a foundational book. There were a couple times I did feel that the book tried to cover too much at a superficial level and, in doing so, I felt someone less familiar with the topics discussed might end up confused. This was especially noticeable in the early chapters where brief overviews of HTML and JavaScript are given. Beyond those chapters, however, I felt the book was well paced and covered the core concepts of using the canvas extremely well.

The latter chapters of the book are given over to more challenging uses of the canvas and take the reader through the process of creating a couple of simple games. I felt these were particularly great as they allow the reader to both apply what they've learned as well as have some fun. It also introduces trickier concepts like collisions and animation loops. These are not covered in great depth because they are introduced to support in the creation of the games, so if you like programming books to explain every detail to the very last you may come away frustrated.

Ultimately the book is a great starter for anyone interested in learning to use the canvas - it delivers exactly what its title promises. It by no means tries to cover every eventuality, nor should it, but it will leave you inspired and wanting to play around with JavaScript and HTML5's canvas tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good For Learning Just About Canvas, 15 Sep 2011
This book perfectly builds up from the very basics of the Canvas Element all the way up to building your own game.
As a beginner myself, I found this book very good because it is set in a logical order and very easy to follow.
As it says on the title though, it is just about the canvas element and none of the other features of HTML5, but as I said, this is obvious from the title.
All in all, a very good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Passionate and Easy to Follow Introduction to Canvas, 10 Aug 2011
Ian Lunn (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not one for sitting down and reading through a book quickly but I found myself reading Foundation HTML5 Canvas in a weekend. The book is passionately written and does a great job of leading the reader through what could be difficult concepts and code.

I did skip a few of the earlier pages because the book covers the basics of JavaScript -- the technology the Canvas API relies upon. It makes sense to cover JavaScript although I'd expect anyone interested in Canvas to already have a reasonable understanding of it. As such, I felt the first 50 pages or so were irrelevant to me and would have liked those pages to have covered a few more game demos and/or techniques toward the end of the book. In particular, an explanation of how to pause/resume a game would have been a great inclusion as it's universal to every good game.

Beyond those early chapters though (that may or may not be relevant to you) the book is an excellent introduction to Canvas. The authors passion and wit makes it an easy read but there's enough covered to make it a good reference for the future too.

Now you can go and create the game you dreamt of making when you were 8.