I already own a basic cobbler shaker and this Boston style shaker really is a step up, in short it’s brilliant quality, you get all the accessories you need and it really has broadened my cocktail making horizons! It’s fantastic.

A cobbler shaker is where the strainer is in the top of the shaker, with no need for a strainer / any additional parts.

A Boston Shaker set is a bit of a step up; because of the tin and glass combination you can see the ingredients as you add them which you can’t in a cobbler. With a Boston you can also can make more cocktails (because of the increased capacity). This is why the type of shaker you will always see in a professional bar is this type – the Boston. And I think this one is a very good set indeed.

This Boston shaker set comes wonderfully gift boxed and consists of:

Shaker base
Shaker glass
Bar spoon – super long, perfect for mixing all tall drinks
Strainer
Muddler
2 x professional spirit measures
A ‘definitive’ cocktail book – very useful with lots of recipes (for more review details on this see below)

In use the shaker is so straightforward whilst it looks impressive:
-Pour all your ingredients into the mixing glass
-Add ice
-Place metal tumbler on the top and seal it shut with a firm whack
-Then shake it like a polaroid picture!
-Once mixed, another firm whack to separate
-Strain into your serving glasses and enjoy

The initial firm whack and ice inside the two parts creates a vacuum seal that really does keep the two sides together for whilst you shake.

Honestly I love this set and it’s made me realise the limitations of my little cobbler shakers, which whilst very useful and I will certainly keep, this just feels more ‘proper’ and the increased capacity is hugely appreciated when entertaining.

I also love that the set gives you literally everything you could want for to get making proper and professional cocktails (everything apart from the cocktail ingredients).

The book is a bit or a dark horse with lots of great recipes split out according to main ingredient. Each recipe has a nice bit of context then clearly set out ingredients and method, honestly a great accompaniment. The contents page includes:

Essential Equipment
Tequila
Other Spirits and Liqueurs
Wines, Beer and Cider
The morning after!

All in all this has been a real pleasure to receive and test, I am fortunate that I get a lot of items to review but this is likely in the best I have used lately in terms of fun, practicality and sincerely I have no criticisms of it whatsoever. An absolutely fantastic set. The highest recommendation I can give.

I was kindly provided a sample by the manufacturer to review; the opinions expressed here are entirely my own view of this cocktail shaker.
This product was sent to me for review and came well presented in a modern yet simple box. My first impressions were of a well made set that looked built to last, with a modern and stylish appearance.

Inside the box were the 30oz Stainless Steel Boston Cocktail Set with Glass, Hawthorn Cocktail Strainer (which allows you to strain away any large pieces of fruit or ice), Twisted Bar Spoon, 1 X 25ml shot measure. 1 X 50 ml shot measure, 1 X Wooden Muddler for crushing fruit, mint leaves etc and a 192 page book called 'The definitive cocktail book'.

The book itself is valued at £5.99 and covers a wide range of cocktail recipes and the chapters are essential equipment, gin, brandy, whisky, vodka, rum, tequila, other spirits and tequilas, wines, beer and cider and of course the morning after!. There is also an extra section at the back (glossary) which I found to be very useful indeed.

In terms of what you would need to get to go with this, I would say that you would need to spend an extra £10 on a bunch of cocktail syrups and umbrellas and the cost saving of having a cocktail party at home compared to buying drinks in a cocktail bar would be considerable. I would recommend going for blue curacoa, coconut, grenadine, mint mojito and passion fruit to begin with until you get more confident.

All in all, this is a very nice set and its certainly a good place to start.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 December 2015
 I was kindly sent a free review sample of this to try out.

So far I am quite satisfied with it. It comes with all the basic things you need to make cocktails, including a recipe book. As a cocktail beginner, it is quite useful to know some of the classics before progressing as well as trying to make your own.

It may not be professional quality, but as it is clearly aimed at the beginner, and would make a great gift for someone who like cocktails. I think it's a good set to start you out.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2016
I've never owned a cocktail set before but I've hankered after one for a long time so I was excited try this out. It was everything was hoping for and it's been brilliant over Christmas and New Year. I'm loving it.

When we opened the box my husband and I both said, "Ooooh", It just looks so nicely packaged and is very nicely presented. But how does it perform? Well, I can't fault it and it's so much fun. I didn't have any special glasses or ingredients when it first arrived but I've bought a big selection of both since then and I'm churning out cocktails like a pro now. So much fun!

The book that is included has more than enough recipes to keep me busy and it's a good selection so it was nice surprise to find it in the kit. It's a great resource for a beginner like myself as I had no previous knowledge but I'm sure there will be something of interest in the book even for someone with prior experience.

The components of the kit all seem very well made and robust and it's fairly easy to work out what goes where and what everything does. I wasn't sure how it would perform with just the mixing glass on top as a lid but I'm pleasantly surprised with how effective it is and I've had no spillage despite being a beginner. It's easy to see the ingredients as they're being added and mixed because the glass is clear and it's a nice size so even tall cocktails are possible.

I can't fault it and have been impressing everyone over the festive season with my concoctions. We've enjoyed it so much that we're planning on making cocktail night a regular thing with friends and family. I'm so thrilled with this and can highly recommend it.

I received this free product direct from the supplier for review purposes.
PROS
=====
Very well made
Looks beautiful
Superb value
All the attachments that you'll need to make cocktails
Impressive packaging-looks top end
One of the best cocktail making kits that I've used

CONS
=====
The accompanying book is OK. Simply OK. If you're serious about making cocktails I can recommend the Diffords guides. (either online or the book: latest edition )

OVERALL
========
It's lovely. We used it over the Christmas period and and now purchased a few more as gifts we were so impressed. (I always like giving a gift that looks more expensive than the purchase price.)

(Disclosure - I received this product in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, opinions and ratings are my own. If you found this review at all helpful, please take a moment to let me know. You can also leave a comment or ask questions in the comments section below. I try to do simple reviews without any jargon or rubbish. I hope this has helped you make the decision to buy or not to buy. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!)
on 12 November 2011
I was looking for a muddler and came across this set which looked good in the photo and was seemingly really cheap.I ordered one,the bubble wrapped parcel arrived within a couple of days and the gift boxed cocktail set is really good quality and will make a fab present which will actually get used by the recipient - I am going to order two more. Great service.
on 24 December 2014
I am a professional barman and was replacing an old broken Boston glass, so I thought this looked like a good idea and bought it. Please don't make the same mistake as I did. The Boston glass broke after about only 4 or 5 uses. I was not hitting it into place too hard or taking it out of the Boston tin incorrectly. It just broke (see picture). The Hawthorne strainer doesn't fit properly over the Boston tin - and so when you strain your cocktails you get shards of ice in them if your not very careful (see picture). The cocktail book while providing correct measures is very dated and mainly contains "classic" cocktails which are no longer popular. The muddler is extremely basic. You might as well use the end of a wooden spoon. There is not pattern on the bottom of it - it's just smooth - which isn't good for muddling limes for example. It would also have been nice to include at least one speed pourer. Overall I would not buy this again and ask you not to either.
review image
on 16 December 2014
This Cocktail set was a very much appreciated Christmas present, I would buy it again. It looks very professional and it's very good value for its price. The delivery was prompt and I was able to receive the item on time for the holiday. I hope my review is helpful.
on 13 January 2015
Not a bad set for the money, however the strainer is a bit on the small side and it's not the snuggest of fits between the glass and the sleeve. I will try harder next time to get them to seal together better. Overall better than using the Manhattan style shakers.
We have had a lot of fun making our own cocktails – it is surprisingly good fun trying out the less well known cocktails and far cheaper than trying them on a night out.

In the box you get:
• A 30 ounce stainless steel shaker and glass
• A long, metal, twisted bar spoon for missing drinks
• A strainer
• Two metal shot measures - 25ml & 50ml
• A wooden muddler
• Recipe book

The strainer keeps pips, ice etc. out of your drink

It has a two-year warranty

I really like this. It looks high quality.

Until now we have only ever drunk a few cocktails – it is great to find new ones, fun to know how to make them yourself, and great being able to do it cheaply.

We used this when we had friends round – we taught them how to make a cocktail themselves. It was novel for them - it adds something to a night in with friends.

Declaration: I received this product without charge, without obligation, in the hope that I might review it. My assessment of it has not been affected by that – it remains objective and unbiased.