‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Share with your little ones and relive your own childhood, 13 Sep 2005
By A Customer
I read this book for the first time when I was 7 years old and read it again and again until I lost it. Recently I remembered how much I loved it and bought it and once again I found myself totally lost in the magic of Roald Dahl and the escapism of the stories. In particular this book reminded me of my hope and innocent wonder I had and recaptured the excitement and anticipation of the next page I had never forgotton.
The story is truly unforgettable and a little piece of me still believes its all possible - a book that will restart your imagination and relive your memories. Although it is aimed at teenagers, I think its possible to read some of the stories to younger children and share the wonderful tale with them.
A Brilliant read that you will never tire of - in my view totally under rated and overlooked as one of Dahl's finest storys. Unmissable.

5.0 out of 5 stars read this no matter how old you are, 9 Oct 2005
By A Customer
Some one recently asked me what my favourite book was, and although I couldn't name one favourite, it brought memories of this book flooding back, so i bought it again and was once again touched by it. Roald Dahl was always my childhood favourite but this book more than others stuck in my mind despite it being one of his lesser known ones.
It's a beautiful collection of short stories, but the story of Henry Sugar is the most poignant and memorable and one that still makes me smile. Having re-read it i have leant it to some of my friends and everyone, especially those with children have commented on it's magical and captivating story.
If you want to read a book about human kindness and triumph read this and it will stick with you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, it is excellent!, 30 Aug 2010
This book is brilliant.

Readable for all ages.

The other reviews are accurate, go and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The forgotten masterpiece., 25 Oct 2004
This book was written by Dahl for both older children and adults. I remember first reading this book back in the seventies. The book manages to get into the adult libraries and children's libaries. Seven great, interesting, magical and informative stories including "the hitchiker" which made "tales of the unexpected". Even today, I still try to copy Henry Sugar with the candle and flame to see if I can acquire that wonderful gift of seeing without my eyes. I still believe it is true, so please don't spoil my dream! For me, this was always my favourite Dahl book; And yet so unsung!!!
Whenever I see collected box sets of Dahl, it is rarely included. But, please try this book for yourself, you won't be disapointed. And maybe....just maybe....you can learn Henry's trick! Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - helps children understand money isn't everything, 3 May 2005
Miss Preddy (Sundsvall, Sweden) - See all my reviews
I was read this book when I was about ten by my school teacher at the time. I am now a student working with young children and I fully recommend this book to all. Henry Sugar is a book about a gambler who learns a way to 'bend the game' to his advantage. It's a story of realisation, helping children understand that having money or material possessions isn't always that great and that there are downsides to all of it. It certainly had a big impact on me, and that was nine years ago! Roald Dahl is a genious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sickly Sweet, 16 Jan 2012
A yummily scrumptious and delicious story with many loliiplicious tales to keep every child's gobstopper glued to their teeth. A recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good memories, 1 Nov 2013
I yesterday found this book, in a wonderfully over-stuffed bookshop at Morecambe bay. I had it as a child, and have occasionally wondered what happened to it.
Glad to have it back because the stories are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our primary teacher read this to us in 'story time' ..., 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More (Kindle Edition)
Our primary teacher read this to us in 'story time' over a period of time. It left such an impression that over the years, I've looked out for a copy of the book. Found it on amazon kindle, and after reading it, it's still as fascinating as first time round. Definitely worth a read for any age over 10ish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, 11 Sep 2013
I bought this for the Henry Sugar story to give to my Argentinian friend who's learning English. He's not quite at the level to read it yet but I re-read it online before I bought it and thought that this would be a lovely story for him to learn with. Plus it's not at all childish like other books for young adults and children. It's a really fascinating and uplifting story, now I can remember why I liked it so much when I was a child. I can't remember if I've read the other stories in the book but when he's finished with the book maybe I'll borrow it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Took me back, 13 April 2013
Re-reading these fantastically written stories took me straight back to the first time I read them when I was twelve. I've never forgotten them and thoroughly enjoyed a second read. Perfect for children and adults alike.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›