on 3 July 2014
I've read it now. I think I'll just go and have a bit of a lie down.
on 13 August 2014
Dad's birthday present has kept him busy reading all year long
on 5 July 2015
Very hard going, but worth the time and brain exorcise.
on 28 February 2015
Bought as a gift, recipient seems pleased with purchase
on 17 January 2015
It is a collaboration and I don't think they ever work.
on 12 September 2014
Great book, well written and relatively easy to follow.
on 7 July 2014
Well written a good explanation on the world around us
on 21 December 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This much-marketed book is too abstruse for all but the most dogged or perhaps masochistic general reader. My local bookstore is promoting it as a stocking stuffer. Alas, many copies are destined for the fate of the proverbial, abandoned Christmas puppy.

"Quantum" comprises page after page after page of mathematical formulae and overworked Feynman "clock" calculations of the probability of any given electron occupying any of an infinite number of locations at any point in time. The authors' enthusiasm is obvious but not infectious. After plodding through enough of these equations to persuade myself that I could if I wanted to, I joyfully announced to myself "but I don't have to do this."

So, fast-forward to the interesting bits. There were a few but they were buried in a thick undergrowth of ciphers. My mood was not improved by Cox and Forshaw's chipper attempts to lighten things up, for example: "Eternity is a very long time, to paraphrase Woody Allen."

It is quite possible to write about difficult science for intelligent non-scientists: witness Hawking, Dawkins or Brian Greene in their respective domains. Quantum mechanics is a fundamentally important and fascinating subject that certainly warrants such a work. This book isn't it.
on 2 February 2016
A great little book - hits the nail on the head.
on 16 July 2014
Excellent...simple as that. Read this book!