5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating & enthusiastic introduction
Most of the reviews I've seen for this book seem to be either from scientists who 'get it' or laymen who do not. All I can say is that I don't come from a scientific background, having found it all rather baffling at school but have become more interested in the subject later in life. This is the first book I've read on Quantum Theory & thanks to the clear explanations...
Published on 5 Dec 2011 by Sam Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars I surrender!
I passed A level physics and actually did part of an engineering degree (40 years ago) so I dont think I am a complete dummy though 50 years out of date when it comes to these sort of discussions. I have tried for years to find a really comprehensible book that lets me begin to think I might just be getting the quantum thing at long last. This book is not it, leastways,...
Published on 8 Dec 2011 by Adam Smith

‹ Previous | 119 20 21 22 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 28 Jan 2012
Excellent service. Book arrived within 3 days of order. Very scientific and a little hard to understand but very interesting.Book quality very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 26 Jan 2012
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book looks great. My only problem is that I must be stupid ... because I couldn't keep up with the science. The writing is clear and coherent though, I guess it is just a meaty subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Quantum Universe book, 22 Jan 2012
A well written book using layman's terms, even I can understand it!! I would recommend it if you want to impress your friends with your in depth knowledge of quantum science.

4.0 out of 5 stars So that's why!, 19 Jan 2012
John W. Edelman - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The concepts and theories behind Quantum mechanics are endlessly fascinating to me and I lap up anything and everything that I can find on radio and television regarding this subject. This book is a step up; certainly for me. I read every page, and understood about 10%! It is a good read and the writing style is easy, with little bits of humour chucked in occasionally. It's also apparent that the authors more than realise that this is NOT an easy subject and often suggest that the reader re-reads passages.
In fact it appears that most, if not all, physicists accept that, to paraphrase, "If you think you understand Quantum Mechanics you really haven't been listening". Despite this I have come out of the other side of this reading experience with a greater understanding than I entered with, and for that reason I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Professor Cox's excellent work on TV and Radio and who wants to know more. At least I know why we don't all fall through the floor now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!!, 15 Jan 2012
J. M. Jones "JJ" (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen (Kindle Edition)
I was given this book for Xmas.
I loved it. Just finished it. All in plain understandable English. Everything explained.
Anyone who is interested in quantum 'stuff' and isn't the genius they would love to be (like me), will like this book.
Well done to both authors.

This book makes me want to read more like this. The 'why does E=mc2?' is my next purchase ... for definite.

4.0 out of 5 stars hard but good, 10 Jan 2012
Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw are probably the clearest writers of popular physics books that I've ever come across. Their book "Why Does E=mc2?" was a brilliant step-by-step examination of the equation, and this book is also probably about as clear and honest as you can get. However, it's a much harder read than the previous book, jumps about a bit more, and is less in-depth, so probably a bit less satisfying. It's sort of a more complex look at what Brian Cox looked at in his Royal Institution celeb-filled lecture, which itself was very enlightening and enjoyable. The book takes a fair bit of concentration to keep all the threads they introduce in mind simultaneously, so that when it all comes together it makes sense. But if you're after light reading I suppose you wouldn't have bought it in the first place! I ordered this for my Dad's Xmas, and when it arrived, it was a bit bashed at the folds of the cover - I had to quickly rush out and buy a copy from Waterstones for him, so not great, Amazon (although the Simon Sebag-Montefiore book about Jerusalem I bought from you for my Mum was in absolute pristine condition, even though it arrived in the same cardboard pack, weirdly).

4.0 out of 5 stars for the pub quantum physicist, 8 Jan 2012
Bill Crawford "Big Bill" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this book - it is well written in an engaging and informal way. The subject matter is very difficult (for me and presumably anyone else without any formal education in quantum physics), but it is fascinating. The really tricky / crucial bits are explained slowly and as clearly as possible; often the text suggests you re-read and understand (eg) the previous 2 paragraphs before contnuing - I find this a really helpful technique although I can understand that people with some experience in the subject might find it patronising. I would not now claim to have a deep understanding of quantum physics having read it, but all in all a well written book if you have an armchair interest in this subject. Oh, and the cover is very nice too! I hope you found this review useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quantum Universe; etc. - by Brian Cox, 21 Dec 2011
Gricer "Gricer" (Winchester, Hants., U.K.) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book for a relative who was very keen on this author & his work.
I'm glad to say he was pleased with the contents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doh!!, 21 Dec 2011
Mike (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
Very engaging, unlike a Brief History of Time I will probably read this again as Brian Cox is quite entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 July 2014