4.0 out of 5 stars Received defective, but the best I've found
Published on 14 May 2013 by Mr. R. C. Durrant

Published on 28 April 2013 by JK

4.0 out of 5 stars Received defective, but the best I've found, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
I have been searching for an effective ground feeder for an age. It had to be robust and of a good size, and not turn into a pool whenever it rained. I have spent a lot on 'quality' ground feeders from RSPB (which I strongly support), but the design is very poor, trapping the water, so all becomes soggy and the birds are standing in water as they feed. The wooden stands become filthy too and are hard to clean.
When I received this product from Chapelwood, despite no damage in transit, three of the legs were bent out of the vertical so that it was wobbly. Rather than return it I managed with some force to straighten them acceptably.
Today it was tested in torrential rain. The birds voted for it! As many as possible crammed onto it to feed in preference to the RSPB solid plastic tray on wooden stand which carried identical food. It did what I wanted, let the water through for the better care of the food and the welfare of the birds.
I have just ordered another. I hope that the legs are better on that one, but either way, I still consider this a well-designed product, and recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attracts a variety of birds, 16 Nov. 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
A good sized ground feeder that enables a lot of birds to feed at the same time. Drainage through the mesh base (with the added hole) is adequate and helps to avoid sodden/decaying food build up although a weekly clean with a bird-safe antibacterial spray is advisable. I also reposition mine at the same time to prevent a build up of stale grains underneath (whilst the mesh is small, some seed still manages to find its way through to the ground). The robust metal construction ensures it is easy to clean and the coating has prevented any rusting.

Mine attracts lots of Blackbirds, Robins, most of the Tit family, Nuthatches and the occasional Thrush - as well as the usual pigeons, doves and Starlings.

There's no sign of rust after over a year of use and, unlike wooden versions I have used in the past, it still looks like new after all this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 2 May 2012
Supreme Commander Watto (Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
Well built and looks good. Recommended but if you don't want to fatten the pigeons consider getting a cage to go over it.
All metal construction by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality but lacking information, 4 Dec. 2012
M. A. Hasler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
I bought this as a gift for my mum and liked the fact that it is all metail rather than a lot of ones that ar wood and metal. When I got it I found there was a hole about an inch and a half from the edge that is about 5mm in diameter. I sent it back and got a replacement which had the same thing. Upon enquiring woth the manufacturer, I found out that this is in fact a hole to peg it down. Love the item but would have been nice to have this information on the label attached.

5.0 out of 5 stars The birds love it!, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
Simple but effective, using this feeder keeps the patio clean and the ground-feeding birds like it. It fits neatly under the bird table and is easy to scrub clean if necessary. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The birds like it, 8 April 2013
Suze "Susie" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
I recently had a six foot fence up and lost a few feathered visitors.
The bird table I had is on a pole and they don't seem to be comfortable using that since the fence went up, so I got this one and sited it near some plants so the birds had some cover to escape into.

The sparrows still haven't returned to the garden, but the robins, blackbirds, thrushes, doves and greedy pigeons have returned.
And after a few weeks of using this lovely little ground feeder they have started to used the pole mounted one again.

Very pleased with it.
Its well made and even though small, the birds like it.

EDIT - the sparrows have now returned and all the birds seem to like this feeder. Very happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Aug. 2013
Marand - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
We bought this to replace our old wooden-framed feeder which had a solid metal tray. Although it had run-off holes to allow rainwater to drain away, water still collected in the tray and left a soggy mush. This new model with the mesh base is much better. It seems very robust and a quick blast with the garden hose cleans out the mesh very effectively.

3.0 out of 5 stars Withstands most British weather but the mesh is soon clogged up., 28 April 2013
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
I'm not sure about the Chapelwood metal ground feeder for two distinct main reasons. Firstly; seed becomes clogged and gunged up quite quickly in the mesh especially after a lot of rain which means a lot of waste. It's a real pain to try and keep it clean and you just can't remove all of the residue. Secondly; smaller seeds drop through the mesh and sprout all over the pace. I've secured a piece of fabric beneath mine to catch the residue. I'll also mention that the tray needs to be weighed down in very windy weather if it's situated in an open space in your garden, it's not as heavy as it looks. The good point is most certainly how long it lasts without rusting or breaking. Will go on for years and withstand most British weather without too many side effects and certainly looks better than the traditional wooden ground feeder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ground Feeder, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
As described. Arrived promtly in good condition. Looks very attractive but I would have preferred it larger. Because I wanted it to go underneath a bird feeder to catch the huscs. But of course this is not the job it is for. Otherwise I would thoroughtly recommend it - it does the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agreed: Very Well Made Product, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder (Garden & Outdoors)
This arrived quickly and was well-packaged. It's a handsome feeder, just right for blackbirds. Highly recommend for helping our fine feathered friends make it through the winter.

Chapelwood Large Metal Ground Feeder