5.0 out of 5 stars And Yet Another Thing
I've been reading Eoin Colfer's book 'And Another Thing' and I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that I happen to like it. That's a biggie, really unexpected, as I'm one of those people who can't accept the possibility that anyone could measure up to Douglas Adams in his own (reflection of this) universe.

Let's state the obvious, shall we? Eoin Colfer isn't...
Published on 13 Oct 2009 by Review Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite hit the mark
I first heard tHHGttG on BBC Radio 4 way back in my lost yoof, read the books as the appeared, watched the TV series and listened to the radio series over and over again on CD. It was the title of this new book that attracted me - 'and another thing' - I laughed out loud, forgetting that this was a quote from Douglas Adams! I eagerly bought the book and sat down to read...
Published on 6 Nov 2009 by Dr John N Sutherland

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Thanks - keep the fish!, 20 July 2010
Bloody dirge-like and awful! Saying that I stopped after 40 pages so maybe it does improve. I was 17 when HHGTTG came out so of course it was the best thing since sliced Vogons. And 'Restaurant..' was that rare hit when the sequel surpassed the original (much like ST: TWOK).

But lets face it - Adam's 3 -5 of the 'trilogy' became so mind-bendingly dull, and I only bought them because I was hoping he could re-render what he first delivered.

Maybe 31 yrs later (for me) is too long to actually care about Colfer's resurrection - and as a genre fan it's the first book in a long time I've put down barely a 10th in with no desire to pick it up again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowing saga, 31 Oct 2009
Eoin Colfer wisely does not pretend to be Douglas Adams in this highly readable continuation of Adams' misnamed Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy although it faithfully uses many of the characters, aliens and storylines already introduced in all five of Adams' wonderful books. It's a gripping new story but it still concerns the power-mad, warmongering, petty bureaucratic Vogons seeking to obliterate Earth and all its inhabitants. There is the welcome return of twin-headed, three-armed Zaphod Beeblebrox who is still as egocentric, hedonistic and greedy as ever but with a new twist, his second head, the more intelligent logical one is separated from his shoulders and now known as Left Brain (LB for short) and kept alive floating in a bowl of nutrient on board Thor's stolen spaceship. Ford Prefect is still extremely shallow, chasing pangalactic gargleblasters and pretending to write reviews for the Guide as a roving journalist. We also welcome back Trillian who apparently has had a liaison with Arthur Dent and produced an appalling, precocious teenage daughter called Random, who is, coincidently President of the Galaxy. Arthur is still a hopelessly incompetent dreamer trying to establish his fatherly authority but more and more wrapped up in computer-created dreams of his beloved Fenchurch. However one of the huge joys of this book which kept me reading more or less non-stop for a couple of days was the introduction of Hillman, a camped-up stage Irishman who creates his own religion and manages to take his entire flock from Innisfree to an earth-type planet where he searches for a suitable God to head up the religion to sort out the Cheese-biased schismatics. Back again is Wowbagger, the green Immortal who is no longer insulting the Galaxy alphabetically but falls in love with Trillian and decides he doesn't want to die after all despite his contract with Zaphod to be killed by Thor who is seeking to get back his street-cred after Zaphod ruthlessly destroyed it. All in all it's a thoroughly good read which should bring a whole new generation of fans back to H2G2 and to Eoin Colfer himself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Enjoyable, 8 Nov 2009
Russell G. Pottinger (Dundee) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Now the first thing we have to accept that this isn't Douglas Adams. This is his universe and his characters but it is Eoin Colfer writing this so any comparison is going to come up somewhat lacking.

Now this is not to say that he isn't a good author, but Douglas's work has practically been wrote into history as the definitive guide to sci-fi humour.

This book is a solid sequel, with the only crunching of gears being the resurrection of the main characters. The book is well written, the characters display their customary quirks, the guide notes are amusing, and everything ties together nicely.

It maybe lacks the spark of some of the earlier books, but I for one am glad to see it as it will hopefully lead to more sequels. Also will encourage more people to read the brilliant prequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars And another bit of fun, 22 Oct 2009
F. Wight "F.W" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
First of all we have to accept that Eoin Colfer has a different writing from Douglas Adams. This fact might cause some fans to nod with approval at his decision not to copy Adams, but others to groan in annoyance and state that they actually rather enjoyed Arthur Dent being dead in the first place.

However at the same time the book is a lot of fun and in some ways was a much more uplifting affair than some of Douglas's works which as other reviewers have pointed out would sometimes get bogged down in a bit of a downer.

The jokes are all there (although I would have liked Ford to get a lot more attention - his humour was their, but his character felt somewhat 'displaced' from the book) and some great references to the past books bring a lot of laughs.

One BIG problem with the book is - as I said earlier - it is not written by Douglas Adams. Douglas had a way of making it seem like he was the book telling 'you' personally the events going on with Arthur and the gang. This is slightly lost with 'and another thing...' and so some of the book misses its appeal as being a hitchhikers sequel.

In the end, this is a great read and a whole lot of fun - and reminds us why Hitchhikers is the best series out there, where else could someone type 'Edamnation' and get away with it?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Douglas would have liked it - a good story and no deadlines for him, 27 Oct 2009
To get me into the mood of this, immediately before reading it, I re-read the fifth book 'Mostly Harmless' (Douglas's last). I think this new book stands up very well. At first I thought "Here's somebody trying to hard to pretend to be Douglas Adams". But I soon got past that and was happy with the story and the finished product. There was enough silliness in it, enough strange new words for races and beings, plenty of crazy notes and related reading. And the characters behaved in the way that I think Douglas would have wanted them to. I enjoyed it, and I hope Eoin writes another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchhiker after Douglas, 20 Nov 2009
I bought Hitchhikers with some trepidation, life after Douglas etc but having previously read some of the Artemis Fowl books I'm not surprised that Eoin Golfer has been able to successfully resurrect Arthur and the gang and add his own wacky humour to the mix.

Somewhat confused at times with Simon Jones speaking but thought it fantastic!!! Only downside was the transition between the end and start of each CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars And another thing...., 17 May 2011
Brilliantly written book keeping the thoughts and ideas of Douglas Adams alive. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to the end, in fact I didn't want it to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Impressed., 28 Feb 2011
Having read the original 5 books many many times, I was sceptical with this book. But I read it, and the second I finished the last page I flipped it over and reread it.

Fantastic Job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the master, 11 Mar 2010
Mrs. E. Cummins (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book, which was evidently the work of a DNA acolyte trying very hard to emulate the original. Accordingly, the story was suitably vague, the characters appropriately unpredictable and the Guide references as hilarious as one would expect, if a little too frequent at the beginning. The only thing that was missing from a thoroughly good read - was Marvin! Where is he??? I hope we have more of these, because even if it makes you more sharply aware of the loss of a great writer, it will be intersting to see how Eoin Colfer evolves in his wake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the spirit and imagination of the original trilogy of five, 20 Nov 2009
P. S. Meyer (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Like many fans of H2GT2G I was rather surprised to see a sixth installment make an appearance, and wary. Could this speaker for the dead successfully channel the wit and creativity of the late Douglas Adams?

The answer is a resounding yes, in that Colfer manages to continue the 'trilogy' where Adams left off in an amazingly consistent way. Now the fifth book was not up to the standard of the first, and this new offering is on a similar level with the fifth - but that remains a great achievement. I found myself re-living those wrapt days in the school library reading the original series almost as if no time had passed in between. I look forward to seeing if further offerings set in Adams universe make an appearance!

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›