4.0 out of 5 stars More clever than frightening
Cannibal Holocaust: Ruggero Deodato's New Edit [Blu-ray has a lot to answer for. As the first of the 'found footage' films it has spawned more than three decades worth of movies, given a boost in the arm in the 90s with Blair Witch Project [Blu-ray] and more recently Paranormal Activity [Blu-ray], to which the success of both probably gave us Apollo 18.

It's a...
Published 23 months ago by W. Harvey

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filmaking - ok film
Published on 22 Dec 2011 by S. Haddow

4.0 out of 5 stars More clever than frightening, 26 May 2012
W. Harvey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apollo 18 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

It's a clever premise and whereas normally these films can be done on the cheap (Blair Witch is effectively a bunch of kids running around a forest with a video camera), this surely had quite a substantial budget with all the sets and effects.

The most impressive thing about Apollo 18 is the quality of the footage. It all looks authentically 1970s, even down to the colour saturation and the lines on the TV screens. Genius! Less impressive is its desire to capture the verisimilitude of a moon landing. To do this, it's necessary for minutes and minutes of unnecessary, eventless, one could even saying boring footage. That creates a degree of realism but costs the narrative dear. The result is a horror movie that is more clever than frightening. You experience it in the brain, not gut. That said there are some wonderfully creepy moments, especially when they first discover the Soviet lunar module.

One final point (with an obvious spoiler). If this is supposed to be a found footage movie and a lot of that footage was done on hand cameras (so not broadcast back) and it all ends terribly for the crew... how could the recordings have ever got back to earth to be uploaded?

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filmaking - ok film, 22 Dec 2011
S. Haddow - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
Depending on the expectations you bring to Apollo 18 it could be anything from 1 to 5 stars. My expectations were not overly high and I enjoyed it - but I don't think that for me it had any repeat-viewing appeal (i.e. I can watch a good movie three or four times in a few years). What they get absolutely right is the feeling that this is created from actual footage of a lunar landing. The various effects and distortions feel absolutely authentic, and overall the film does look like it takes place on the moon. The voice acting from mission control is equally perfect - and much of the acting does look like fly on the wall reality. With no spoilers - its also worth mentioning that Apollo 18 does not over do it's scares, relying mostly on brief glimpses, which for me worked well - but it's a courageous thing for a horror movie to do as a large part of the audience may well be hoping for a bigger pay off. For me what didn't work so well was that I don't feel the scares were exploited enough. I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself - but I mean that not enough of a plot ever really developed to give the scary bits enough context. For example there was little sense of time running out even though the astronauts by definition had a finite supply of oxygen for example. There was also no sense that the alien presence had much intelligence even though for example flags were destroyed, suggesting some resentment of human presence on the moon. With more of a well defined plot, I think this would be a classic, but as it is, it is a very interesting piece of film making that may or may not float your boat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blair Witch on the Moon, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
Dear oh dear oh dear. As a concept "Why didn't we go back" is such a cool idea with the right story this could have been such a good movie. Unfortunately the story is weak,the acting worse and the "Blair Witch" style simply irritating. If I was supposed to find this tense I didn't...I found it tedious,predictable & completely far fetched. I missed this when it was in cinemas and was quite disappointed that I did. I'm not anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Blu Ray Version., 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Apollo 18 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The film is not bad, nor is it great. More of a horror film than sci-fi.
I can't see the point in paying extra for a Blu Ray Disc. To get it to fit
in with real footage of the apollo missions the entire film is grainy, with
lines and jumps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, terrible movie!, 21 July 2012
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
Apollo 18 has a good concept, but is a failure as an entertainment. It's too clever for it's own good, trying to be a found footage film. It would have been better as a straight horror in space. This is a bad film, but if you're interested and you find it cheap enough, it's only 1hr 20mins long, so you're not wasting too much life to find out if you like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic looking "found footage" of alleged secret moonshot, 11 Jan 2012
John Maybury - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
As others have noted, this film consists of supposedly real NASA footage of a secret final Apollo moon mission in the early 1970s. It looks and sounds authentic - the film makers resisted all temptation to add any shots that couldn't have been taken by the astronauts. The effects are pretty good and the hardware looks right.

I looked forward to this release (having seen it at the cinema) and was not disappointed - one of my favourite sf films of recent years.

Interestingly, the disc also contains special features including a number of deleted scenes and perhaps more surprisingly, alternate endings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad., 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Apollo 18 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I heard some mixed reviews about this, but it was really cheap on Blu-ray and I couldn't argue with the price.

It was very nice horror film. Some brilliant jumps and scares. But it wasn't anything extraordinary.

My mom who rarely ever watches horror films watched it with me, thinking it was a normal documentary and didn't think it was going to be a horror film. :D haha

Lets just say I don't think she'll trust me with movies in the future. It scared the life out of her!

Some jumps in this were surprisingly very unsuspected. It caught me out a good few times.

The storyline is original but I won't say anymore in case I spoil anything.

The movie is good wee jumper but nothing more. I enjoyed the film and I know it will be great for when I have my friends over.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
this isn't a mega bucks sci-fi epic but it is well written and acted by a cast of relative unknowns it offers an alternative reason for the abandonment of the moon program and is a very good moon conspiracy movie it is entertaining and well worth a watch it was inspired by some moon footage which was released without the authorities permission and gives credence to a rumour I heard many years ago that mankind was warned away from the moon so it raises some interesting questions. did the Russians get to the moon after all?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent found footage movie., 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
If you like either space or found footage or if you are lucky enough to like both well then you've hit paydirt here.

It mixes subtlety and in your face horror with equal aplomb and I wasn't bored for a minute.

The plot's been discussed already but it's hard to come up with anything totally original in this genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars They Were Expendable, 2 Sep 2012
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Apollo 18 [DVD] (DVD)
Set impeccably in the black and white film of real Apollo missions this is a horror film that owes a lot to American's fear of their government's dirty dealings and a profound fear of "abroad". While I found it reasonably creepy I suspect most Horror fans would have found it tame. Could US astronauts really fly a Soviet craft I asked myself in a moment of nerdy fault-finding. MOON seemed more creepy at a deeper level. Not a repeat watch.

ARRAY(0xa62efd14)

Apollo 18 [DVD]
Apollo 18 [DVD] by Gonzalo López-Gallego (DVD - 2011)