5.0 out of 5 stars Kresley cole wins another fan
Two words LOVED IT! This book was the first Kresley cole book i happened upon by chance in the library. i didnt evan know the author than and now i'v basicaly every one of her Immortals after dark series books, which i have to say knocks Sherilyn Kenyon right out the water.
Published on 7 July 2010 by reader jade

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best.
Enjoyed this continuation in the Immortals After Dark saga. There was a lot of action, suspense, betrayal, revenge, plotting and scheming, and sexual tension packed into this 417 page book. The usual humor was good and though Nix and Regin were only in this book briefly--toward the end--they had me laughing.
Kiss of the Demon King takes place at the exact same time...
Published on 11 Nov 2010 by Rebecca

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kresley cole wins another fan, 7 July 2010
Like most of her books this inocent little book is about as hot as they come and this book is especialy kinky little treat that i MUST recomend reading while alone. The charecters to me were especialy unique from the kingly,ever calm Rydstrom and his delicously secret desires to the bad girl and super sexy Sabine that even the bravest wouldnt wouldnt mess with.
If your the type of women that loves a frisky romance, than i can utterly recomend you read this.
Its only drawback is that it ends before you evan know it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Immortals After Dark" series book 6, 11 Mar 2009
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A mouthwatering incorruptible hero meets his match in a wicked female intent on seducing him in "Kiss of a Demon King". An intense battle of wills and passionate encounters is soon underway as Sabine, Queen of Illusions is determined to gain power, defeat her evil half-brother Omort and establish a Queendom with her sister. If it means seducing a demon king and bearing his son; a child prophesised to unleash the vast power held in the Well of Souls she will do so; even if she's aware this demon king is supposedly her fated mate.

Rydstrom Woede has for nine centuries battled to regain his throne, and now when his quest to to obtain a magickal sword that will actually kill his enemy Omort the Deathless (incidentally Sabine's half-brother) appears successful, he is brought down by the cunning of a beautiful sorceress. He can believe no word that comes from her lips or anything he sees around her (after all she is the mistress of Illusions) yet Rydstrom cannot deny that he wants Sabine desperately. However he is determined to avenge this indignity by escaping and taking Sabine as a spoils of war; intending to use her in exactly the same way she planned to use him.

Sabine is the nastiest female lead so far in the IAD series; sneaky, manipulative, cunning and completely untrustworthy, she appears at first the complete opposite of the honourable Rydstrom yet she is the ideal match for a demon who finds he has something much more important in his life now than his duty to regain his throne. It's a pity he has to keep her bound or chained to his bed or from scaring the local Lore populace; after all he's going to eternally bond with a woman deemed more evil than her mad half-brother. Sabine doesn't need the good guys to accept her, but hey fear works just as well and in Sabine's opinion equates to healthy respect.

I loved how KC incorporated Gena Showalter's "Lords of the Underworld" series into this book. If you've not come across these books yet then you are missing out on a dazzling paranormal romance series which I recommend as highly (well perhaps a smidgen more) that the "Immortal After Dark" novels. That said perhaps these two great authors would consider collaborating on a new release; a book featuring a Valkyrie and a Lord of the Underworld sounds fab. It is now quite a wait until the next full length IAD novel, as "Pleasure of a Dark Prince" is not scheduled for release until Jan 2010. There is however a two author collection KC has contributed to; "A Deep Kiss of Winter" due for release in Nov 09, which ironically also includes an offering from Gena Showalter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiss Of A Demon King is imbedded with all we came to treasure from Kresley Cole, 5 Feb 2009
Since No Rest For The Wicked the Woede brothers, Rydstrom and Cadeon, have been a part of the Immortals After Dark novels. It gradually attached the reader to their quest of regaining the Kingdom lost to them as Omort now reigned at Tornin court. Though each book can be read separately I think for an increasing reading pleasure you should read this series in order. Also, Rydstrom and Cadeon's stories are almost occurring simultaneously so I advise to read Dark Desires After Dusk before Kiss Of A Demon King.

How I have loved each entry in the Immortals After Dark series, some a bit more than the other but always a wild ride and in this Kiss Of A Demon King is no different. This tale does not contain your typical heroine and Sabine - Queen Of Illusion - is an acquired taste in characteristics, I think you'll either connect with her or you don't and I was thrilled to get to know her. She just hasn't got lily white thoughts or feelings, has a save the world from all evil complex or has a Florence Nightingale syndrome. Sabine has an acerbic nature and is both in looks and character trades a truly remarkable woman. She and I had to get acquainted and the more I got to know her, the more I liked her, because being bad isn't always about doing the wrong thing. If there is one thing that does not apply to Sabine is being meek and mediocre. This is one of the elements that elevate this series so, the intriguing and fresh characterization that allows them to come alive with their own personality trademarks and looks. This makes them stand out in the crowd of so many who inhabit the world of the average paranormal reader. There are no cardboard characters in this series, it brims with almost larger than life Lykae, Vampires, Valkyrie and many more making it such a pleasure to venture back in to this world.

Rydstrom was one who had to grow on me in the series but in his own story I quickly succumbed to his charm. Outwardly he is so almost stoic, rational and reasonable but his fierce nature is barely controlled by a veneer of control, he is a Rage Demon after all. Together Sabine and Rydstrom gave a steaming picture of abandon lust simmering between them, it becomes maddening to read as the story progresses but oh my, they deliver some spectacular verbal and physical firework. There were times my frustrated inner voice screamed at those two to "get over" the trust and control issues and get it on already. Kresley Cole antagonizes the reader over and over with sultry foreplay between the main characters and in answer it raised my body temperature at a steady pace. Insert a bit of rough love to it and the sensuality sky rocketed between this love couple.

If you think Kiss Of A Demon King is all about the lust, well ok, it is a key element between Sabine and Rydstrom but this tale contains so much more than that. There is also the fact of Rydstrom's singular desire which has been about getting back his Kingdom from a fiend enemy who seems undefeatable. Tied to this are many factions with many characters we've come to treasure while reading this series. So many are plotting their own plans, loyalty is gained and betrayed, as all have a place and function within The Lore. While some races/characters are just mentioned I love the descriptive details which adds depth to this world. Like how Sabine is portrayed, with bright, colorful headdresses, gold chokers, leather strips and chain metal materials in clothing and unusual make up. She is one of the Sorceri and with these kind of details I can see her so clearly in the mind's eye. It draws me completely in the setting Cole provides and makes me savor the pages as I read along.

I feel this novel has been very character driven and though much is going on it was very centered around Rydstrom and Sabine. The mischievous nature of Sabine kept me on edge and empathetic to Rydstrom's trust issues. Sabine loves a good juicy plot as much as a good surprise and I relished in the fact how Rydstrom surprised her at times. The power play between them is taunting, it is provoking, it is titillating and sensual, both good and laced with a bit of evil and they both gave as good as they got. At a few times I edged the feeling a scene became a bit repetitive but then Sabine would make a comment and had me all in giggles and laughter again.

Secondary characters were aplenty and some immediately struck home with me. Lanthe, Sabine's sister, was one of them and together they became a one-two punch that whetted my appetite for a future story of Lanthe. Also Puck, the orphaned demon child enamored me in his interactions with Sabine. I have got no clue what to think of Lothaire but I don't think we have seen the last of him and he has me intrigued in his motives. Cadeon is of course a part of his brother's story and one of the series favorites Nïx once again displayed her soothsayer wisdom with flair and humor.

The plot and minor sub plots have kept me alert and focused where everything was heading, nevertheless it plays second violin this time. I always think I have a sense where Kresley Cole is taking me and yet she manages to surprise me in the end and like Sabine, I love a good surprise! Omort has his puppets dancing around his every whim and has the very thing Rydstrom covets above anything else...or at least, what he thinks he covets above anything else. Omort seems to be the epitome of all evil in this novel and he plays his part so very well. Just to have him enter the scene turned me on edge, wondering what his next step would be. The good versus evil element is showcased with every shade in between that holds its own significance and it fits in this story perfectly. What was lost somewhat along the way was the "ultimate battle" to regain Rydstrom his Kingdom but going towards the end other things occur that created pulls pounding moments!

Kiss Of A Demon King is imbedded with all we came to treasure from Kresley Cole as an author. Everyone will have their favorites among this series as have I but Sabine and Rydstrom have once again been a wild ride. I will count the days until the next Immortal After Dark tale is told!

Courtesy of Realms On Our Bookshelves

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you love about this series and so much more..., 25 Feb 2010
Amazon Customer "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
We've all come to know and love Rydstrom the ever steady and crownless king in the previous books in this series and know that he and Cadeon his brother are constantly battling because Rydstrom holds Cadeon held responsible for loosing his crown. But as we enter this story at the same point in time as Cadeon's story begun, and all that Rydstrom believed to be true could be about to change.

We know Rydstrom was captured and taken through a portal back to his castle Tornin in Rothkalina because that much was explained in the last book. And now we find out it's so he can impregnate the beautiful, but wicked Sabine, half sister to Omort and thier child can unlock the secret to the Well of Souls.

But Rydstrom proves to be as much of a match for the cunning Queen of Illusion as she is to him, despite being chained to a bed in a dungeon and the book takes you on a journey of seduction and despair as the two of them almost self destruct in a battle of 'one-up-manship'

Sabine is a wicked and selfish creature but for all her faults she is thoroughly likeable and as a reader who found the character of Rydstrom utterly attractive from the outset, you really don't mind that she could be his fated mate.

The strong female characters in this series such as Kaderin and Sabine are much more to my taste as I prefer a woman who can given the man a run for his money and not just roll over and submit. Rydstrom has by far been painted as the most emotionally strong male of the series with a will of iron and control over his demonic side. Until Sabine...

For someone who was always a vampire lover, between the Rage Demons and the Lykae, perhaps my allegance is changing... This really was one of the best stories of the series so far and I'm hoping that by tomorrow the next instalment has reached my door!...

One small gripe (no stars deducted though) was when Niix mentioned she was off to Budapest to investigate the Lords of the Underworld. Most of us know that Kresley Cole is a good friend of Gena Showalter, but I don't see what is to be gained by linking this series with the Lord of the Underworld via Nixx, considering they explore two differnt areas of mythical beliefs/leglends... But I'll remain open minded

4.0 out of 5 stars Kresley Cole's got style..., 2 Feb 2009
Rydstrom has a plan...after over a thousand years of fighting to regain his crown and bring freedom and peace back to his ravished kingdom and oppressed people there is the possibility of success. An enchanted sword has been forged by Groot the metallurgist and has been promised by him to kill Omort for good. The strain of failure weighs deeply on Rydstrom but for a man who has always put his kingdom before everything else, even his search for his destined female how will he react when all his suppressed fantasies and ignored desires suddenly seem as if they could be made possible? But not by the pure and good queen he imagined marrying but by an evil and selfish sorceress, who captures him and who only wishes to use his body for her own ends with the intention of furthering the decline of his kingdom and adding to his continued failure of regaining his crown.

Sabine has a plan...to ensure the survival of herself and her sister Lanthe she must take full advantage of a prophesy made hundreds of years ago, that hailed her as the fallen Rage demon king's fated mate. When she was a child Omort sort her out for just this reason, to ensure his power over her he bound Sabine to him by poisoning her and Lanthe and making them rely on him for the antidote. You see he, like Sabine wants the power that surrounds the Well of Souls at castle Tornin but whereas he wants the power to extend the evil reign that he has established in the kingdom of Rothkalina all Sabine wants is a place where SHE can rule, a sanctuary from her Omorts perverted desires and her relentless enemies the Vrekeners (winged hunters of evil Sorceri). But to achieve this she must obtain the key to unlock the Well's power and that just so happens to be the legitimate heir of Rydstrom the dethroned king. But Sabine's smart and a schemer and if seduction is only way to get what she wants - a wedding vow and pregnancy - well needs must...

I haven't loved Cole's last three books as much as I did the first three. And for a number of reasons I found this one a little dull. Rydstrom and Sabine do make a deliciously exotic and erotic pair, though this is mostly in appearance as their dynamic itself is unbalance and with little chemistry. Both take turns at being captor and captive, Sabine's sensual torture of Rydstrom and his ensuing lust fuelled revenged when he escapes takes up the majority of the book and I didn't find it particularly engaging or erotic, definitely not romantic, what it is is repetitive.

The book although well written, is slow and considering the high stakes the lack of plot twists and action is odd. Although the plot makes more sense to me upon reflection, Nix said in Conrad's story that Rydstrom would have to chose between his mate and his kingdom. And so the fact that the book is so much about Rydstrom and Sabine and not the quest to regain his crown makes sense. Even so I missed the action and intensity of those first three books. But it's logical that the series has moved on and doesn't focus entirely on the concept of eternal mates, this is of course still the formula but Cole doesn't insult our intelligence with her world building; if the first three books were about establishing the importance of the characters destined mates, Conrad's book delivered a real emotional punch and Cade's dealt with the moral ambiguity that many of Cole's characters exhibit. But still the pacing here was a little flaky; the ending in particular was rather abrupt and nowhere near as epic as I had thought. This wouldn't have mattered much if I hadn't thought there was something lacking in Rydstrom's and Sabine's developing relationship but as it was I couldn't submerse myself in their story.

There are some wonderful elements however. I liked Sabine (Rydstrom too) she's witty, vibrant, sassy and yes amoral. But she isn't evil, the author gives us logical reasons for why she is the way she is; dying over a dozen times is likely to make a person willing to do anything to survive! She is also utterly unforgiving towards her personality, she is who she is. The secondary characters were what kept me interested though and the great little nuances Cole adds to the world she's crafted. I was particularly delighted by Lanthe, Thronus, the Hag and Nix is great as always but I found that Lothaire in particular stole any scene he's in.

None of these things makes `Kiss of a Demon King' a particularly bad book, this is a five star series and Cole is a great writer, furthermore all the elements are there; sensuality, darkness even a little gore, wonderful world building and the whole book exudes a quirky sassy attitude. But for me there was something unsatisfying about the dynamics of the book and the characters interaction with each other that made me feel as if something was lacking ...oh well this is a personal thing I'm sure and I wouldn't want to put anyone off, it's different to Cole's other books and therefore worth reading. Besides the series hasn't deteriorated but it has altered its format and Cole throws some decent curve balls, there is in particular a interesting surprise for those who have read Gena Showalter's `Lords of the Underworld' series (though this could be tricky pulling off as the two series are based on different mythologies after all). But the bottom line is that Kresley Cole's got style and that is what will always make these books worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fab instalment in a great series, 19 Aug 2014
Kiss of a Demon king takes place at the same time as Cadeon's story Dark Desires After Dusk. I was so glad that we got Rydstroms story right after, because there were aspects of Cadeon's story I wanted to see more of and not have them gloss over..

I call this series of books my warm and fluffy, not because they are lacking in someway, but because this world has been so well written that when you pick up the book, even when it features a new character you are immediately surround by that 'warm hug from an old friend' feeling. That feeling that helps you slip into the pages with ease and forget the world going on around you.

Rydstrom was such a great character to read.. torn between what he wanted and what he felt was right. Willing to sacrifice his own happiness, his own female so that he could try and regain his crown to help his people. And then when he had the chance to spend time with his female we find out that the good kind king wanted something a little spicier from his female than placid and compliant. Oh how well Sabine was made for him... and he for her. I will probably say this every single time, but i think Sabine and Rydstrom are my new favourite couple. They are just so perfect for each other, a perfect balance of kind and wicked.

And Nix.. oh Nucking Futs Nix how I love this Valkyrie. I really hope she continues to be in every book. And I cant wait until she has a full book of her own

5.0 out of 5 stars female meets strong male half-way, 12 Feb 2009
I have to disagree with the other reviewers... this book is really good. I've read quite a few romances lately (by different authors) and I've been feeling a bit annoyed. It seems quite common that the females are always helpless and have to beg the guy to 'bring them to oblivion'.

It's a welcome change to read about a female that is not completely submissive to the male, the power struggle/mind games in the couple and then a sort of half-way compromise. Actually she makes him beg a bit(for release)!!! A display of dominance over a strong male is also a big turn on (at least it is for me)

Ms Cole's females characters do take the initiative and are also funny. I love her style and can't wait for the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars Long live king Rydstrom., 11 July 2012
weechelle (North Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Sabine the Sorceress of Illusions is a woman I wouldn't mind being if it meant having Rydstom Woede, former king of the Rage Demons, tied down to my bed! But that fact aside, this story (although not as good as previous books) is still a great read.

Sabine is a woman who is more than her names worth, and Rydstrom, as sensible and solid as always, starts to show a few cracks. Kresley Cole writes us another brilliant story with more of her beloved Immortals After Dark characters that we've all come to know and adore, as well as introducing some new characters in to the mix. There's no doubting the perfect match Sabine and Rydstrom make, Rothkalina doesn't know what it's in for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of a Demon King, 11 Sep 2009
I could not wait until this book arrived hoping it was as good as the others in the series and I was not dissapointed.
I started by reading the other books by Kresley Cole which did not involve vampires etc....
Her writing is so good that I forced myself to buy the others in this series thinking that at least I would enjoy her style.(was not a paranormal romance fan)
However, the characters are great with all their individual quirks as well as the way in which the different character types of the Lore have linked in previous books.
This book I think is her best of the series yet and keeps you in a state of excitement to see what will happen at the turn of the page.
Loved it so much I am just going to read it again.
I cannot wait till the next book arrives and have that on preorder.
Definately a keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars For adult readers, 23 Aug 2014
I'm a big fan of the IAD series and this is another fun addition to the IAD world. I've re-read it a few times and have very much enjoyed it. Best to read the series in order in order to really appreciate it - especially considering 'Dark Desires After Dusk' directly complements this story (telling the story of Rydstrom's brother and the quest which is continually mentioned in this book - and indeed, integral to the story). Lots of steamy scenes, so probably best to read it alone...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›