Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual Band N600 Wireless-N Router
Style Name: N600Change
Price:£37.97+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Style Name: N600 + Smart WiFiVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So, the router was relatively easy to set up, even on Orange, with a few minor hiccups but once online everything appeared in order. Unfortunately after a few days I had problems with an Ethernet connection to my Dell.

The connection kept dropping out. On the plus side the wireless connection appeared more robust. The connection to a self-built gaming computer seemed ok, so fault might be with the Dell laptop. I don't have this problem with the ISP box.

To give it a good work out I wired in two computers and had an iPad, iPhone and iPod all on the go at the same time. It appeared to hold its own.

Then I hit a problem. The only room in my house that I can find a bit of solace, peace and personal space without having children running around my feet is the en-suite bathroom. I can hide away with my iPad and read or watch the BBC News to my hearts content.

Until, that is I ran the internet through this particular box. The old generic ISP supplied box had its occasional foibles but never let me down with a signal. This one did. I have no idea why the signal drops out so easily as it is was put in the same position as the other one.

Overall, it runs at a speed on a par with my ISP box, no faster and no slower. I do miss being able to attach a storage hard drive to the router, there is no USB socket on this one. Spend a bit more and you will get a more versatile box with USB.

I do have a concern. Not long ago Cisco updated the firmware on another of my routers (EA4500) whereby instead of having full administrator control over the router I was suddenly obliged to connect to the Admin controls through Cisco Cloud.

In other words, to change settings I had to go through the Cisco servers and sign up to an account. This moved my entire network to be run on the Cisco servers. It was only when I read the terms and conditions I realised that in return for Cisco hosting and running my network on their cloud they reserved the right to monitor all my internet activity including emails and if this activity didn't comply with what they considered correct usage they reserved the right to disconnect me.

There is a way round this, you will have to roll back the routers firmware (not so straight forward) to an earlier version and not use the cisco cloud. This sort of defeats one of the major features that sells this product.

The terms and conditions appear to have been amended since then and are no longer so onerous, but Cisco still reserve the right to change them when they see fit. I am uncomfortable with the manufacturers of the router monitoring my internet usage including emails and deciding what I can and cannot access. From a business point of view I cannot agree to this.

All in all, its average, the router has some good features and is easy to set up. Aps are available for Android and iDevices. I leave a question mark over signal strength, wireless speed is no great disaster either and it can cope with demand. The missing USB socket may be a deal breaker for some. The fly in the ointment are the terms and conditions of the Cisco Cloud which can be changed at any time.
on 5 June 2013
It was very easy to set up with the enclosed CD and gives me WiFi all around the house which has brick walls and concrete floors.
It has been faultless after 4 months of use.
My only criticism is that, being a horizontal design as opposed to vertical, it takes up more space on the desk.
It has replaced my previous Belkin N150 which failed regularly and is now consigned to the tip.
on 26 April 2014
I was looking for reliable router that would meet my expectations. This is great product. Even though people often report problems with signal coverage I did not experience it. Using it in 5 bedroom house and we have good coverage even in the garden. Highly recommending.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just purchased one of these, so if my impression changes, I'll update the review appropriately.

So far, quite impressed. It replaces a Netgear JNR3210, which simply could not handle the traffic I threw at it (two torrent clients and a couple of skype clients simultaneously with several standard webbrowsing clients).

This one handles the job far more gracefully without significant lagspikes, and no dropped packets or reboots due to overflowing routing tables.

Aesthetics are simple and appealing.

Setup is very simple, just using your webbrowser and youre up and running 2 minutes later.

Advanced abilities are a bit lacking, but if thats what youre after, youre better served by a different price-class router.
on 1 March 2013
not really good.
the wifi range is not great, since the two antennas are not amplified.
It would work ok with both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands together, but unfortunately the router gets overheated when using both and the 5GHz band disappear after a couple of hours.
I disabled the cloud operation immediately. Why should I go trough the internet to configure my local router???
what if I don't have an internet connection???

unfortunately DD-WRT is still not available.
I would definitely not buy router again.

UPDATE: I've replaced it with an asus TR-N66U, that is so much better! another planet! the user interface is also great. do not buy this linksys router.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2012
Having not used wireless for 2 or 3 years someone in the house decided to purchase an android tablet and so I needed to change my existing wired only cable router to a wireless one. Looking around at what was now on offer I was prepared to go for a Belkin until I noticed this Linksys one (or Cisco's home division). The real clincher was that this router is IPv6 ready (so when my ISP finally switches on IPv6 I will be ready).

Using the supplied Cisco Connect software it was installed and up and running within a few minutes. Overall this is a very impressive product (which can't be said for the USB wireless adapter I purchased as well) which has improved the speed of my powerline/homeplug internal LAN and my actual internet connection as well. The android tablet picked the wireless network up straight away and connected without any problems.

The Cisco Conncect software is simple to use and allows you to modify some basic settings but it also lets you access the router via a web interface and there are a plethora of options to play around with (although generally you don't need to touch any of them). Handily it does IPv4 and IPv6 DHCP for your local network, provides an IPv4 firewall (with a rating of 'True Stealth' on ShieldsUP) and IPv6 firewall. The wireless operates on two frequencies 2Ghz and 5Ghz and is compliant with WIFI standards a/b/g/n, but it only supports WPA/WPA2 security so some older wireless adapters may not work with it.

The router being from Cisco (whose routers are supposed to 'route' the internet) I had high expectations for this product and so far have not been disappointed and I hope it will keep the same quality of service for a few years yet.

Edit (31/07/2012): I have now flashed this router with the dd-wrt firmware and using it as a client bridge with my main PC. After some fiddling with the settings I now get consistent speed and range via Wifi. This router is a very versatile and handy bit of kit.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 May 2015
A very disappointing product...

Works as a Wifi router at 2.4Ghz, but any attempt to connect at 5.0GHz (with a smartphone or laptop) results in a loss of internet connection after a few seconds...

Some people have tried flashing dd-wrt to improve on the default firmware (bloatware), but this isn't a great solution as, after a few reboots, the Linksys firmware comes back.

While price was low (sub twenty pounds) when I purchased it, it's hardly better than the routers which ISPs give away for free with new installations.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 September 2012
I purchased this router for my student accomodation and the streaming purposes which requires dual band high speed (802.11n) wifi.
However, the setup was very fast and it is an excellent router that includes all you need (QoS, port forwarding, IPv6!, firewall, ...).
on 24 October 2014
Useless as an access point. Could not configure correctly - kept hanging, forcing me to reset it several times. Returned it for a refund.
on 23 November 2014
Reloaded with DD-WRT (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) big), works a treat. Much better than the hub supplied by my ISP.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...