5.0 out of 5 stars Very good router ...
Published on 1 Sep 2012 by P. Millar

So, the router was relatively easy to set up, even on Orange, with a few minor hiccups but once online everything appeared in order. Unfortunately after a few days I had problems with an Ethernet connection to my Dell.

Published on 16 Sep 2012 by Helpless

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good router ..., 1 Sep 2012
P. Millar "dazzle" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual Band N600 Wireless-N Router with USB Port (Accessory)
Having not used wireless for 2 or 3 years someone in the house decided to purchase an android tablet and so I needed to change my existing wired only cable router to a wireless one. Looking around at what was now on offer I was prepared to go for a Belkin until I noticed this Linksys one (or Cisco's home division). The real clincher was that this router is IPv6 ready (so when my ISP finally switches on IPv6 I will be ready).

Using the supplied Cisco Connect software it was installed and up and running within a few minutes. Overall this is a very impressive product (which can't be said for the USB wireless adapter I purchased as well) which has improved the speed of my powerline/homeplug internal LAN and my actual internet connection as well. The android tablet picked the wireless network up straight away and connected without any problems.

The Cisco Conncect software is simple to use and allows you to modify some basic settings but it also lets you access the router via a web interface and there are a plethora of options to play around with (although generally you don't need to touch any of them). Handily it does IPv4 and IPv6 DHCP for your local network, provides an IPv4 firewall (with a rating of 'True Stealth' on ShieldsUP) and IPv6 firewall. The wireless operates on two frequencies 2Ghz and 5Ghz and is compliant with WIFI standards a/b/g/n, but it only supports WPA/WPA2 security so some older wireless adapters may not work with it.

The router being from Cisco (whose routers are supposed to 'route' the internet) I had high expectations for this product and so far have not been disappointed and I hope it will keep the same quality of service for a few years yet.

Edit (31/07/2012): I have now flashed this router with the dd-wrt firmware and using it as a client bridge with my main PC. After some fiddling with the settings I now get consistent speed and range via Wifi. This router is a very versatile and handy bit of kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars AVERAGE: NO BETTER OR WORSE THAN MY GENERIC ISP BOX BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, 16 Sep 2012
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The connection kept dropping out. On the plus side the wireless connection appeared more robust. The connection to a self-built gaming computer seemed ok, so fault might be with the Dell laptop. I don't have this problem with the ISP box.

To give it a good work out I wired in two computers and had an iPad, iPhone and iPod all on the go at the same time. It appeared to hold its own.

Then I hit a problem. The only room in my house that I can find a bit of solace, peace and personal space without having children running around my feet is the en-suite bathroom. I can hide away with my iPad and read or watch the BBC News to my hearts content.

Until, that is I ran the internet through this particular box. The old generic ISP supplied box had its occasional foibles but never let me down with a signal. This one did. I have no idea why the signal drops out so easily as it is was put in the same position as the other one.

Overall, it runs at a speed on a par with my ISP box, no faster and no slower. I do miss being able to attach a storage hard drive to the router, there is no USB socket on this one. Spend a bit more and you will get a more versatile box with USB.

I do have a concern. Not long ago Cisco updated the firmware on another of my routers (EA4500) whereby instead of having full administrator control over the router I was suddenly obliged to connect to the Admin controls through Cisco Cloud.

In other words, to change settings I had to go through the Cisco servers and sign up to an account. This moved my entire network to be run on the Cisco servers. It was only when I read the terms and conditions I realised that in return for Cisco hosting and running my network on their cloud they reserved the right to monitor all my internet activity including emails and if this activity didn't comply with what they considered correct usage they reserved the right to disconnect me.

There is a way round this, you will have to roll back the routers firmware (not so straight forward) to an earlier version and not use the cisco cloud. This sort of defeats one of the major features that sells this product.

The terms and conditions appear to have been amended since then and are no longer so onerous, but Cisco still reserve the right to change them when they see fit. I am uncomfortable with the manufacturers of the router monitoring my internet usage including emails and deciding what I can and cannot access. From a business point of view I cannot agree to this.

All in all, its average, the router has some good features and is easy to set up. Aps are available for Android and iDevices. I leave a question mark over signal strength, wireless speed is no great disaster either and it can cope with demand. The missing USB socket may be a deal breaker for some. The fly in the ointment are the terms and conditions of the Cisco Cloud which can be changed at any time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router, 25 Oct 2012
I bought this as my previous wireless router got bricked. I'm using it as a home network to connect 2 laptops / 2 phones. This is an excellent router. The setup took a few minutes and was up and running fine. The setup automatically created a guest network and since I did not want that, I had to later go and disable that. The firmware upgrade is automatic and gives notification if there is a newer firmware available.

The range appears to be good. I've used it at a distance of up to 20 metres with a couple of walls thrown in between and it worked fine. Will definitely recommend this router

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router, 15 Sep 2012
I purchased this router for my student accomodation and the streaming purposes which requires dual band high speed (802.11n) wifi.
However, the setup was very fast and it is an excellent router that includes all you need (QoS, port forwarding, IPv6!, firewall, ...).

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor performance, 3 Jan 2013
I bought one of these routers, along with a Linksys WES160N wireless bridge, to replace the cobbled together bridge solution that I've been using for the past two years (using a couple of off brand access points and DD-WRT firmware) I'd been having problems with overall through put, and figured that adding the 5.0Ghz band should help, by using the less congested airspace to handle the bridge link, rather than using 2.4Ghz band for both the bridge and WLAN traffic.

Unfortunately when I connected this router to my cable modem (which is 100Mbps Down/10Mbps Up), my link speed was being capped at 20Mbps/5Mbps. I called Linksys support and they were unable to resolve the issue. Very unsatisfied - I can understand why Cisco are looking to sell this sinking ship :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal, 22 Feb 2014
running my desktop + laptop and our smart tv on this system and being a 72 year old I found it easy to set up and run just by carefully following the instructions . Which is something of an achievement for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Linksys 2500 router, 20 Sep 2014
This Linksys E2500 router is exactly what I needed. It was affordable and compatible with the freely available Linux based dd-wrt firmware. My dd-wrt firmware upgrade has now made this bog standard product by Linksys become enterprise class with so many additional features. It a great product if you know how to use it!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 26 April 2014
I was looking for reliable router that would meet my expectations. This is great product. Even though people often report problems with signal coverage I did not experience it. Using it in 5 bedroom house and we have good coverage even in the garden. Highly recommending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router, 5 Jun 2013
It was very easy to set up with the enclosed CD and gives me WiFi all around the house which has brick walls and concrete floors.
It has been faultless after 4 months of use.
My only criticism is that, being a horizontal design as opposed to vertical, it takes up more space on the desk.
It has replaced my previous Belkin N150 which failed regularly and is now consigned to the tip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with DD-WRT, 24 Sep 2014
Using as a VPN router using DD-WRT tomato firmware, found it pretty easy to flash, and now it has many great features it would'nt of had without, The version I got from amazon was V3 but did eventually find that you can now flash the v3 version as well

I have found the wireless not quite as strong as my apple router but I think its pretty much due to having two routers in the same house im sure i could improve this by changing the channel

I'm sure theres much better routers out there that can be flashed but for the money I'm happy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›