5.0 out of 5 stars A modern epic
The Hero of Ages is the third book and the conclusion of the Mistborn series, by Brandon Sanderson.

Published on 4 May 2009 by Sylvia Wrigley

2.0 out of 5 stars hero of ages
So much potential lay in this series and, with the exception of the first instalment, little of it worked for me.

Published on 12 Dec 2011 by Ali

2.0 out of 5 stars hero of ages, 12 Dec 2011
Ali (Scotland) - See all my reviews

For a start it was too long. 250 or so pages could have been shaved off this book, making at far less plodding and repetitive and a tad more concise (let us ignore the fact I think The Final Empire worked perfectly well as a standalone). Sections jumped in periods of weeks and, honestly, if it wasn't pointed out to me I would never have noticed. The characters thought and did the same things over and over and generally got on my nerves a bit with their introspection and indecision.

I read a review of this a while ago and the reviewer pointed out that all the characters sounded the same. I have to agree with that opinion. Sazed's (a Keeper of religion) dialogue didn't at all differ from Vin's (more a warrior) or Elend's (more a scholar) despite all three of them having such different characteristics and personalities on paper. And the characters in this third book just didn't match up to the ones in the first.

Another problem I had was the information given to us before each chapter. In The Final Empire, this information was given in diary format by Rashek before he became The Lord Ruler. This added to the story, eventually answering some of our questions along the way. In The Hero of Ages this information is written by an unknown author, although I did figure out who wrote it quite early on, who, unfortunately, gave the answers to questions we didn't know yet. This meant that I knew more than the characters did and reading about them making bad decisions and floundering around frustrated me and slowed the story down rather a lot.

On the flip side though, I still think Sanderson's creation of three unique magic systems is fascinating and I enjoyed finding out more about Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemalurgy as the story unfolded.

I found this to be another disappointment after the joy of reading The Final Empire and I just don't know whether I'll continue with further instalments within this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern epic, 4 May 2009
Sylvia Wrigley (Costa del Sol, Spain) - See all my reviews

This is an old-style fantasy series - the books tell a single long story and you must complete the trilogy to get any sense of closure. The initial Mistborn book was of a standard length but the second book was almost twice as long, which surprised me in a publishing culture focused on keeping books "a reasonable length". Sanderson commented on his blog: "When I'd turned in Mistborn 2 (revised and already trimmed) at 250k, production and marketing had nearly had a fit, complaining that the book would cost more to print than it would make." Personally, I was thrilled to see that the books told one long interwoven story (although Sanderson did repeat key elements in order to refresh the readers' memories) rather than a half-hearted attempt to make the novels stand alone.

As I was reading the second book, I wondered if the series could be shortened - subplots dropped out and the story streamlined. I'm pleased to say that when I reached the end of the trilogy, the Hero of Ages, I was not disappointed.

It is important to me that a fantasy world hangs together and there is no inexplicable magic without an explanation and basis. I will accept the most fantastical of elements but they must have a logic and once rules of the world are established, those rules need to hold true. Sanderson uses this to his advantages. Rules are broken and his fantasy physics act erratically but in every instance the characters are more shocked than the reader is, and there is a strong focus on finding out why the world isn't acting as it should. Never was anything dismissed with a wave of the hand and thus the author kept me reassured that he wasn't going to forget his own world-building for the sake of plot.

The magic system within the book is clever and incredibly detailed. My 14-year-old son (who has enjoyed the first two books of the series and is waiting for me to relinquish the third to him) was completely intrigued by the "science" of the magic and we enjoyed long discussions about the properties and effects of different metals and possibilities for taking advantage of them.

The ending to the story is surprising but Sanderson has been building up to his conclusion steadily throughout the series. The slow progression of separating the truth from the Lord Ruler's lies is skillfully shown and as reader, we learn to distinguish between witnessed information (what we've actually seen through the characters' eyes) and 3rd-party information (told to the characters without direct experience). Sanderson shows real talent by retaining our trust: the author remains completely reliable through-out a story filled with half-truths and misinformation. I shared in the frustration of the characters but at no point did I feel the rug was pulled out from under me.

More importantly, at the climax of the story, everything mattered. Perhaps there were threads that could, under duress, have been left out but at the end of the story, the strands came together and I think I must have said "Ohhhh..." out loud as the final pieces of the mystery of the Hero of Ages clicked into place. I think every major question that I had was answered. I can't help but suspect that Sanderson wrote twice as much as we have seen in order to bring these books so perfectly to a climax.

My only complaint is that I didn't feel the strong emotional connection to the characters as I had in the first book. I would go so far as to say that the promise of the first book, with its incredible heist driven by the exuberant personality of Kelsier, is not fulfilled by the rest of the trilogy. But by the time I realised that we were drifting away from the initial adventure, I was already so entranced by the world and its magic, I was willing to be led into a new direction. Unravelling the secrets of the Hero of Ages ending up being a mythic tale than a fantastical romp but I felt content and sated at the finale. Still, the only character I could imagine taking out for a beer was the one done away with at the end of the first book.

Brandon Sanderson has done detailed chapter annotations for Book 1 and 2 on his []Mistborn Trilogy Portal</a> which makes for a fascinating read of the story in progress as well as shed light onto Sanderson's thinking process.

I had previously read Firstborn, a novella by Sanderson which is available to read or download on []. I had glanced at the web page, planning to print out the story if it looked to be any good, and found myself riveted to the screen. I bought the initial Mistborn book as a result of this experience and went into it with high hopes. Having finally completed the trilogy, I can say that Brandon Sanderson did not disappoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stop the recaps please, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
The series was fairly enjoyable to read and the ideas and design of the whole Alomancy 'magic' system was really well thought out. The story is quite original and kept me going through the irritating aspects of this book.

The reason for three stars for me, was it just felt dragged out. I was beginning to get this feeling during my read through of the second book but by the third one, I think it's safe to say that I REALLY did not need reminding every chapter about the way certain metals work, who has what powers, how they have acted previously, what I already know about their character etc. all this sort of thing became highly irritating. The only person who would benefit from these constant reminders and recaps of previous story lines would be one that can't be bothered to read the first two books.

I also think this and the second book could have done with a larger dose of humour to help reinforce the interaction between he characters. It was more apparent in the first book but no in the subsequent two which is a shame.

I will read more of Brandon's work, but just hope he doesn't carry on this writing that almost seems to assume I've forgotten everything previously told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent end to a trilogy, 25 Aug 2010
S. Smith "meesterboom" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A highly enjoyable end to the trilogy. The pace lagged a little in the second book I felt. But this was more than made up for in the last instalment. A prevailing sense of hopelessness pervades the novel and you start to wonder if there can be any way out of the characters indeed the worlds predicament. No spoilers here. Definitely a cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 6 Nov 2008
Cover:
"Who is the Hero of Ages? To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness - the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists - is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. Vin can't even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!"

Brandon Sanderson's books just get better and better. This is the best of the trilogy. The ending, while surprising, falls into place without jarring my sense of justice being done to the characters. Brandon has become one of my favorite writers. His plots are refreshing. Sometimes I feel as though I'm re-reading old books when a new writer comes along, but this is not the case with Brandon. He manages to bring new life into the world of fantasy, while at the same time exploring the age-old topics in the genre.

I am SO looking forward to his interpretation of Robert Jordan's last book. No longer worried!

3.0 out of 5 stars An adequate ending., 15 Sep 2013
So this book wraps up the trilogy. I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed. The first book was by far the better and highly recommended, this one is slightly better than the second. It completes the story in a 'yeah, that'll do,' kind of way for me. You're probably reading this review because you have read the other two, so you might as well read this book if that is the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic A*, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
A great book the final one. It had so many twists I never expected this outcome at all. I could not put my kindle down except when to sleep that is. I would urge people to read this trilogy or you will miss out on something so fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic, Engaging, Satisfying, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
This is a rather dramatic culmination to the trilogy. Though engagingly written, I have to admit that I preferred the two previous installments. It was a touch overly divine in the main theme for my liking, particularly after the feet-on-the-ground approach to the magical systems developed in the two earlier books.
Still, this is personal taste, and as the third installment of the trilogy, this volume does tie up almost all the storylines that the preceeding books open and develop. The text flows well, and the momentum is maintained throughout the book.
All in all a great book, a satisfying conclusion, though not quite on a par with the two previous.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read from a young new author, 3 Nov 2009
I bought this trilogy of books like many others, to find out who this author, who had been chosen to finish The Wheel Of Time series was.
I was pleasantly surprised by his writing. The story itself was really enjoyable and I loved the characters, although I did find that it lost its way a little towards the end. I would recommend to anyone looking for a good read and wanting to find something a little different. The first book The Final Empire will get you hooked so my advice is to by all three and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart breaking to finish, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three (Kindle Edition)
I am rather upset with this product when I discovered that it had an ending. There is nothing more I would love more than to read more and more and more but all great stories come to an end. I cannot recommend this book series enough; they are truly wonderful. If you enjoy Patrick Rothfuss, Robert Jordan or Garth Nix then I highly recommend this trilogy.

The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three