5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain for the current price

2.0 out of 5 stars Currently not even suitable for kids
Published on 24 Nov 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain for the current price, 3 Jan 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: uDraw Tablet including Instant Artist (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Edit: After having this for about a year, I'd say it was a good buy overall. It hasn't been used all that much, but the Pictionary game in particular still gets put on for family game nights. For the current selling price it's an absolute steal though (even baring in mind that it obviously seems they're not going to be supporting it anymore). I'm buying a spare one, and will probably buy the rest of the games that have been released for it.

---------------

I'm writing this review with the disclaimer that we haven't had it all that long, so will update if it fails to get much use or breaks easily.

However, my first impressions are very good. The bundled software seems pretty educational (if a bit boring for very young children to get too much from), and really helps improve your art skills. My 3 year old loves just scribbling on the whiteboard/chalkboard section and putting loads of animated stamps (which are very cool) everywhere for now. It also seems you can export and print your images, although I haven't tried that yet.

The tablet itself is a nice size, very responsive and seems good quality.

We got the Pictionary game and had a great family night together with it. This is where I see us getting most use out of the udraw. I look forward to seeing what other games are released for it (hopefully the Princess game for the Wii udraw will make the switch to xbox).

That's it for now, I'll try and remember to update the review when we've had more experience of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hit with the whole family, 1 Jan 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this as a family gift for xmas. The kids love it and it's fun for adults to learn to use too. You can free draw with all sorts of brush's and stamps which is popular with the younger ones (3,5 &6)I have played it and enjoyed learning how to draw. It does take a little getting used too but great fun. I also bought the pictionary game with it and we played as a family, great game :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Currently not even suitable for kids, 24 Nov 2011
Amazon Customer (Lisboa, Lisboa Portugal) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my daughters (aged between 4 and 8). I wasn't expecting a Wacom like tablet, but I also wasn't expecting the very cheap tablet included in uDraw. But the hardware is sufficient for kids and it seems robust enough to handle any kid's punishment. My main gripe is the software. THQ prominently advertises the touch capability of the tablet, but it's badly implemented in software, so that when you're drawing with the pen and you rest your hand in the touch area (which is really common), if you lift up the pen slightly but keep the hand resting in the touch area, the drawing area starts to pan and zoom randomly. An adult can deal with this, by not EVER lifting the pen or by not resting the hand in the touch area (hard to do, and it feels awkward), but try to teach that to a kid without him/her getting frustrated...

So, pros and cons:

Pros:
- Nice art lessons for beginners. I actually learned a lot.
- Pen is physically attached to tablet (if you're a parent you'll understand this is a pro :) )

Cons:

- Cheap cheap tablet:
- No pressure controls at all (when the pen is pushed down it draws, when it isn't it doesn't and the software tracks the point position)
- Slippery surface. Drawing a circle with it is a real challenge
- Laggy. You have to draw really slowly to get any decent results. Trying to avoid the laggyness by drawing short strokes is also difficult, since there's no way to deactivate the touch area, and if you lift up the pen and your hand is in the touch area, there's random panning and zooming

- Software doesn't fully hide the hardware's limitations:
- There's no option to deactivate the touch control
- The tablet doesn't have pressure control, but the software itself also doesn't simulate this, since if you're drawing in one continuous stroke and pass over the same line over and over again, the line doesn't get any darker

If I could return it without much hassle I would. As it is, my guess is that my kids will use it for Christmas night and than forget about it. I was hoping to use it for Pictionary, but as it is it's better to use a pencil and paper, even for doodles. I sent an email to Pipeworks (the game's developers) pointing out these issues. If they deal with them I'll update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this, 25 Jun 2013
This is a really simple little bit of kit which comes with some VERY simple drawing software. The kids are hooked on it though and it keeps the youngest entertained for hours. Bargain entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 11 Feb 2013
IT IS NOT ONLY FOR CHILDREN .THE GAME CAN USE AND ADULTS WHICH WANT TO LEARN DRAW....
Very precisely and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, 14 May 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am so pleased with my order when this first come out it cost 50 pounds but I pick it up for 9 my kids just love it and so do I. I am trying to find more games that works with it i say to anyone just buy it as you will have lots of fun with your kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter thinks its great, 21 Feb 2013
If you are buying it for an arty child then buy it! well worth the money. Easy to set up and use

5.0 out of 5 stars hours of fun., 19 Feb 2013
my grandaughter plays for hours drawing with udraw. great product at a nice price, would recommend it to any youg child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Feb 2013
brilliant product defo recommend if you liked the sega artist game from years ago could do with a print off feature though

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 7 Feb 2013
Arrived properly packaged and undamaged. Arrived 3 days after ordering so very quick. Works lovely, love the product. The children love it..so much you can do with it

uDraw Tablet including Instant Artist (Xbox 360)
12.99