5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!
My favourite Mary Westmacott novel. A broad sweeping canvas of adventure which is extremely well written and constructed. An eye opener for those who only know her Agatha Christie novels. So pleased that the whole series have just been republished. buy, buy, buy!
Published 11 months ago by M. Hollands

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This is one of the titles written by Agatha Christie under the pen name Mary Westmacott. Being a big Christie fan, I was really looking forward to reading my first Westmacott novel.

Published 4 months ago by pigsmayfly

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Giant's Bread (Kindle Edition)

I was aware that it wasn't in her usual genre of crime novel, however, I read lots of different genres so the difference just made me llook forward to reading it even more. However, I have to say I really didn't like it.

Under her own guise of Christie and her crime novels, it is accepted that she doesn't develop her characters, who we don't really get to know very well and who often appear to be shallow. Giant's Bread is a great departure from her plot driven novel and is all about growing up with the characters and getting to know them psychologically. Unfortunately, our author is a mistress of cariacaturising the human personality - here, she takes the ugliest facet of each character and accentuates it, despite the fact that our cast often behave in ways that prove they have more redeeming features. The upshot is that I didn't like any of the characters or care what happened to them - I would quite happily have killed the lot off!

That wasn't the only reason I disliked the book. There was a very strange take on the perception of music, I felt that our author was expressing a high-brow opinion without actually having any musical intelligence. Not knowing very much about Christie, I don't know if that is true but her concept of using instruments to create and replicate sounds - cold logic replacing human emotion - calling it revolutionary, and the 'music of the future' displayed almost a childish lack of understanding of music.

Finally, it was all very predictable - inevitable that the child who hated music was going to grow up to be the composer of the revolutionary opera and that the grown up characters would behave in the manner that they did, purely because it was inevitable that the unpleasant characteristics of our cast would dominate over the redeeming features which were not allowed to develop.

I shan't be reading anymore Westmacott. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 28 Aug 2013
M. Hollands "crazy postman" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars giants bread, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Giant's Bread (Audio CD)
I gave this book a good review because I love the writers works,I will recommend this item to friends and family.The seller was very prompt filling the order suetaylor