5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore this book at your peril!
Published on 15 April 2010 by J Noble

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to the subject
I purchased this book in preparation for my first competency-based interview. It gave me some invaluable insight into what competency-based interviews are all about, what interviewers are looking for and how answers should be structured. However, I felt it fell short in terms of the questions/answers section, as not enough core competencies are covered.
Published 18 months ago by Sarah Marchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore this book at your peril!, 15 April 2010
Having spent all that time and effort to get invited to an interview why is it that so many otherwise good candidates perform so poorly in this critical face to face meeting? In my experience as a recruiter, many will do a good job researching the company and the job they are applying for, but very few appear to have prepared thoroughly to present themselves as the ideal candidate for that position they know so much about! Answering competency based questions is not a black art and can be easily prepared for. This book is a must read for everyone who is serious about landing their dream job - but particularly for those individuals with little recent interview experience or who repond poorly to questioning in a stressful situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should really be called Impressive Answers to Tough Competency Based Questions., 5 Jan 2012
The answers given in this book are fantastic. It first gives a bad answer, analyses it and then gives a good answer based on the critique. This seems standard, but the bad answers themselves are pretty good, if they aren't judged within a "competency" frame work. As "competencies" are used by most large and medium firms, its essential to really understand what they are about. Before reading this book, I knew they were important but had a common sense understanding of them, eg "interpersonal skills" are questions about people / communication skills. This sort of understanding is enough to prepare OK answers. However, this book's insider perspective will allow you to formulate great answers, based on examples. It explains there are only three real question and answer types based on "People", "Tasks" and "Thoughts". You can use the same example but frame it in different ways to suit the question being asked. This is obviously a great time saver; much more efficient than preparing individual answers to individual questions.

I found its worth doing extra research into the grading system behind competencies. This is something this book doesnt explicitly go into, although the way it coaches you will get you high scores. Its also worthwhile looking at the targets that make up each competency in more detail. If you can get these from the hiring firm, great. Then you will know EXACTLY what they are looking for and formulate examples to suit. Examples showing lists of competencies and targets to meet are freely available to download on the internet.

Unfortunately, the non competency based questions such as "Tell me about yourself?" or "Why do you want to work for us?" are barely covered. You will need another book for these. I'm looking for a good one on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book for all jobseekers, 7 April 2010
Joe W (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Any help you can get in finding a job is always welcome and this book certainly provides a whole heap of advice.
The great thing about this book is that it is written by people who in their day jobs design selection processes for businesses- a case of poacher turned gamekeeper perhaps? Here they use their expertise and experience to show people looking for a job how they can present themselves in the best light possible. An excellent book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 17 April 2012
This review is from: You're Hired! Interview Answers: Brilliant Answers to Tough Interview Questions (Kindle Edition)
This book does what it says. It gives good pointers on the type of questions and how to answer them with both good and bad examples. I bought this book as I had an interview for a job I really wanted but was very nervous. This helped me personally and I got the job. I would recommend if you are the type of person who finds interviews nerve racking as it helped to calm me when I realised that I did know what I needed but just needed help in how to put that across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 26 July 2010
J. Andrew "Joel" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really excellent book, with good general tips, including answer structuring tips, presentation tips and a general good interview practice guide!

Very helpful!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to the subject, 22 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars You're Hired, 15 Dec 2012
I ordered this book and read it the night before my interview. If you have been chosen to attend a competency based intervew then this is a must. Needless to say I got the job and this book has all the answers, the few pound I spent could have got me a top salary for the rest of my working days, a big thanks to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book or gift for friends in need, 13 Feb 2014
Now purchasing this book for the third time having lent out two previous copies which are yet to be returned.

Unlike many other interview books that can patronise the audience (who really thinks it is ok to turn up late?) this book gets underneath the interview process to ensure that you present yourself in the best light.

A small word of warning, this is not the sort of book that you leaf through in the evening before your interview. To get the best out of it you really should give yourself a few days to reflect on the core themes and think through your answers.

No silver bullets but effective - now buy your own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 14 Aug 2013
Having been made redundant three years and attending lots of interviews, I finally secured a new job. This book contain useful hints and tips. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 19 Jun 2013
This book puts interviewing into perspective - it give examples of good interview responses and bad interview responses - I wish I had bought this book years ago