5.0 out of 5 stars Complex but very useful
I found this book complex and I must confess I struggled with it at times. I'm a little bit worried that someone might pick this book up before reading anything else by the Dalai Lama and decide that his writing isn't for them.
However, if you are familiar with his writing, or familar with Buddhist meditation in general then this book can be really helpful.
It...
Published on 12 Jun 2006 by rp

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking,complex, enlightening,
I started reading the book with much anticipation,but by the second chapter I wondered if I had taken on too much, it confused the hell out of me. I did benifit from some chapters and do not regret buying the book. A book I will have to visit time and time again to fully understand the text.
Published on 5 Feb 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex but very useful, 12 Jun 2006
It should be pointed out that it is a commentary on Kamalashila's intermediate stages of meditation, the second text of three.
If like me, you are new to Buddhism I think you'd benefit from reading the Dalai Lama's How to Practice: the Way to a Meaningful Life first.

5.0 out of 5 stars A difficult but possible path, 3 May 2009
This book captures the Dalai Lama in his classical role, explaining an ancient Buddhist text to monks in Northern India. The exposition is simply translated from Tibetan, and it shows us the subtlety of an advanced class for committed practitioners. Where our sound-bite world commonly simplifies religion to some "main point", the Dalai Lama's careful reflections always maintain a balancing act. The terse root text by Kamalashila is expanded on, the way a seasoned mountain guide explains a map through highly variable terrain. The path to unwavering attention and compassion looks hard, but possible. The teacher evokes a desire to make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Stages Of Meditation: Training the mind for wisdom (Kindle Edition)
An excellent little book. It is full of wisdom from a charismatic man and is suitable for everyone regardless of religion or beliefs

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking,complex, enlightening,, 5 Feb 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars ... have to be spiritual or religious to get a great deal out of this book, 19 Oct 2014
You dont have to be spiritual or religious to get a great deal out of this book. The Dalai Lama has a clear and interesting way of writing. He understands human nature and those little irritations / rushing thoughts / difficulties in settling that we all have. There are no judgements. It is an interesting read that I found very useful when I began to use mindfulness to reduce stress in my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Art of happiness is far better for a non believer, 28 Nov 2014
A bit to complicated for me! The Art of happiness is far better for a non believer. Or new starter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindful, 4 Jan 2014
Haven't finished it ye but a great read and a good way to start the year. good service arrived in good condition

5.0 out of 5 stars A incredible book, 26 Jun 2013
Very well explain and make you to open your eyes to things you never pay attention normally, makes you to think different of your self.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 10 Aug 2013
A good book on meditation and goes well with the other books i have got by the Dalai Lama. Very clear guidance as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Sep 2014