Size: 72mm|Change

on 14 July 2013
I purchased the variable ND filter for under £10.00 and i couldn't believe the price, i thought to myself for this kind of money its worth a go. Unfortunately i have been very disappointed with it. You get ok results at the minimum and low end but as soon as you creep up towards the darker end of the scale you get a funny colour hexagonal shape appearing in the center of your shots and as you get darker you begin to get all sorts of distorted colours and shapes. Neutral Density filters are supposed to allow you to take longer exposures in bright conditions without affecting the colour of your photographs. This filter does not allow you to do that, you probably only get two or three stops maximum. I did complain and they offered me a refund but i asked for a replacement to be sent and they obliged and three days later a new one arrived and what a bummer when i got exactly the same results as the first one. At this price it does seem to good to be true, you get what you pay for i guess.
on 25 April 2012
Filter was acquired to enable me to take time lapse still images using slower shutter speeds and wider exposure for photos to used in motion video. Did the job fine without any discernable image loss. Difficult to see how some manufacturers can justify charging up to £90 for similar type of lens.
on 30 December 2011
I use this with my Fuji HS20exr and it does a very good job for an all in one. Takes a little while to figure out the dial and how dark you want it to be, but well worth the money.
on 25 August 2013
Not completely neutral density, as this filter uses a pair of rotating polarising filters to provide quite effective variable filtering which is a lot easier to use than multiple single ND filters. However, the use of polarising filters does introduce polarised light effects, which can result in unwanted/interesting light effects where scenes have natural polarisation (e.g. with surface reflections and car windscreens) and also with sunset/rainbow shots.
Not suitable for all ND filter uses, but a valuable addition to a photographer's set of filters.
on 7 July 2013
I bought this as a cheap way to experiment with long exposure seascape photography as a versatile filter which would be useful for a variety of lighting conditions. I think it does this quite well.

Pros:
It turns smoothly with minimal force - but not so little that it's likely to turn if knocked.
It offers a good level of filtering although I don't know how accurate it is.
It's good value.
You don't need to swap ND filters when the light changes.
It has a relatively good build quality - I wouldn't expect it to fall apart any time soon.

Cons:
It can rotate through a full circle instead of just between the minimum and maximum marks which can be annoying.
At the maximum mark there is a very distinct band across the image. It must be stopped at the mark before maximum to prevent this. I haven't noticed this at any other setting.
Although the back thread is 52mm, the front thread is more like 53 or 54mm which means lens caps will not stay on. However my copy of filter is not the same as pictured so it is possible others may receive a different type.

Overall I think that this filter is a worthwhile addition to a camera bag, as long as you are OK with its limitations.
on 15 August 2012
This filter has helped me develop my basic skills in adjustable density phtography and other media techniques. For the cheap price you see its good value for money
on 4 June 2014
I bought this ND filter for use on my new 50mm f1.4 cannon lens for video work and it has worked a dream. This is a must have for anyone looking to shoot video outside on a DSLR whilst getting a shallow depth of field.

I haven't noticed any imperfections in the glass or particular colour casting, but I colour grade all of my footage anyway, so it doesn't really make a difference to me.

All in all this is a great product, that's really diverse for an incredibly low price. Highly recommended.
on 26 November 2013
This filter was much better than I was expecting!
It didn't have any "dark spots" across its full range, and I've been able to create some very long daytime exposures with it.
I'd certainly recommend it to friends.
on 24 May 2013
I wasn't expecting to use and keep this product long term, just to see whether it's an area of photography I want to explore. In that respect, it's served it's purpose and I'll order a decent quality Hoya or B&W item.

This fader only works at full 55mm zoom on my lens, anything less and it simply doesn't stop light getting through. Secondly, it softens the centre of the picture an awful lot, and the colour cast is terrible. It's so bad that it's nearly impossible to get rid of it afterwards, so I was forced to change to black and white. You must shoot in RAW to have any hope of correcting the colour cast.

It's well made and easy to fit, but just be aware this is cheap because it doesn't really work.

Only buy if you're not sure it's worth buying a number of proper non-adjustable, stackable ND filters.

Here's some shots I took with it:

[...] - notice the purple colour in the middle of the picture, and the softness.

No filter - [...]

Using filter - [...]
on 25 November 2013
Hello all,

I was looking for a way to keep my shutter speed at 1/50th if a second in broad day light using my 650D for my short movie. The answer of course was to use a ND filter, i didn't want to spend to much money so i bought this one as well as the 58mm one. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. There have been reports of slight image quality loss and all that jazz, but in my honest opinion, it's absoloutely brilliant. There is a slight colour tint in the footage, but that's fine by me as i use that tint to help me White balance, the footage looks amazing.

There have also been some reports about there being some dark and shady areas in the footage when really stopping down the filter, i have experience none of this.

Go and buy it ! Cheap and excellent !