5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER...
I have bought all the Rush albums several times - vinyl LP (remember those?), CD, remastered CD and now these Sector box sets.

These are definitely the best sounding ever.

Unlike other reviewers I do like the packaging and I do not find the disks particularly difficult to remove from the cardboard sleeves.

There were some issues with...
Published on 14 Feb 2012 by Orangiey

2.0 out of 5 stars Received the set with the faulty A Farewell to Kings twice!
Published 17 months ago by Tsead Bruinja

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER..., 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)

These are definitely the best sounding ever.

There were some issues with skipping tracks - this has now been corrected and I have received the new disks.

Highly recommended for all Rush fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Received the set with the faulty A Farewell to Kings twice!, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
I ordered the box sets Sector 1 and 2 hoping they would be the new ones with the replacement discs for Fly By Night CD and A Farewell to Kings DVD, but instead I got the old ones. When I complained I was asked to return the box sets. The replacements arrived quickly, but again the discs for Fly By Night (CD) and A Farewell To Kings (DVD) were the faulty ones. Here are the matrix numbers for the bad versions and the replacement discs, which I hope to obtain someday (hopefully through Amazon itself):

Fly By Night CD Bad Disc DIDX-778016
Fly By Night CD Replacement DIDX-794835

A Farewell To Kings DVD Bad Disc - matrix # is DVSS-3157140A1
A Farewell To Kings DVD Replacement - matrix # is DVSS-3358580A1

3.0 out of 5 stars Rush job, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
Excuse the bad pun. Clearly Universal are struggling with these box sets - note the technical difficulties suffered by many - my box set arrived completely missing Exit Stage Left. The album sleeves are badly folded which means the inner sleeves don't fit as they should - certainly a long, long way off the quality of the Japanese SHM CD versions, which I will hang on to.

All of which is a shame because, naturally, the music is five star quality. Like many other reviewers I have owned most generations of Rush CD's, most recently the Japanese SHM CD's, and find these new masters particularly good for listening on small speakers (car, iPod dock, headphones) which is how I guess many of us now listen to music (rightly or wrongly). As many have stated, the best improvements seem to be in box 3 (Signals in particular benefits from a much better sound on the drums/percussion and vocal separation, along with Show of Hands). Overall, a convenient way to own the back catalogue, but with indifferent packaging and not too much noticeable difference in box 1 and 2 from the previous masters, I wouldn't rush out and buy these (sorry, another bad pun).

Btw Amazon customer service was, as always, excellent, with a replacement being despatched within 12 hours of notification of the defect. If only Universal had the same level of customer care......

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I waited, now box sets are just PERFECT!!, 30 Dec 2013
Robert Macnamara (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
I have had these Rush Box sets on my Amazon Wish list for ages, but due to the bad reviews about the discs and packaging I held off purchasing till now. I bought this one first as I wanted to hear 'A Farewell to Kings' in 5.1, as already owning '2112' and 'Moving Pictures' in 5.1, the surround mixes of those two albums are up there with the best I have ever heard!! Well I was not disappointed, the 5.1 surround mix of AFTK is just outstanding, I cannot recommend the Rush surround remixes higher, if you are a Rush fan and have a surround sound system and don't own these you really need too!!
The quality of remasters on the rest of the albums is just superb, crisp, sharp, for albums this old they sound like new recordings!! Always hated the Exit Stage Left mix even on original vinyl they have vastly improved that here!!
I was delighted with the packaging, the vinyl replica sleeves brought a smile to my face as I opened each one and it was exactly like the vinyl ones I used to own. Took me back to the days you went into town to the local record shop bought a new Rush album and examined the cover with great interest all the way home on the bus and loved if it was gatefold as you usually got lyrics and pictures!!
These box sets may have had teething problems at beginning but that seems to be sorted, if like me you hung off buying these because of the bad review, don't any longer, you are really missing out!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get these Classic albums, 28 Jan 2013
R. Colton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
I had no issues with the disks, great box set, a great way to collect these classic albums. Watch the price as it seems to fluctuate, catch them for sub 25

1.0 out of 5 stars A farewell to...quality control, 12 Dec 2011
John Stout (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
First the good stuff:

The packaging is imaginative, and the reproduction gatefold LP sleeves are nicely nostalgic. Each cd comes housed in a plastic sleeve and slots in comfortably into the cardboard LP sleeve, which give it better protection than the recent Floyd reissues which were simply shoved into ill-fitting cardboard sleeves.

The booklets have some nice photos and reproduce the lyrics in an easy-to read font. Some people have complained about mis-prints, but in fact these were on the original album sleeve credits and have been meticulously recreated.

Of the albums I've listened to so far, Rush, Caress, 2112, and Hemispheres all sound fine.

Unfortunately, the quality control went out the window on the following:

The Fly By Night cd has several dropouts - not too noticeable on the hi-fi speakers but very obvious and distracting on the headphones.

The Farewell To Kings dvd has previously-reported flaws with its stereo mix. However, the cd is also faulty - right at the very start there is a crackling sound not present on previous versions of the album. The album doesn't sound as clear as the previous version - a hasty stereo fold-down of the surround sound mix?

Permanent Waves sounds fine, but the opening notes of Spirit of Radio are clipped.

And having now played All The World's A Stage, it's the worst of the lot - halfway through the cd the volume suddenly spikes and the rest of the album has an awful 'chugging/whirring/clicking' sound all over the music. Universal Music have since put out a statement denying any problems with this particular disc, suggesting that the noise is part of the original guitar effect for the particular song. Rubbish! The sound glitch travels all the way through the rest of the album, and is not present on any of the previous versions.

What a shame, that so much effort has gone into producing these sets, only to be tripped up at the finishing line by no one testing them at the factory before shipping them out. And it doesn't say much for Universal Music's sluggish response that they were warned of this by fans in the US 2 weeks before these sets appeared on UK shelves but decided not to delay the UK release until the flaws had been fixed.

The band have confirmed a replacement programme is being set up, but so far only for the Fly By Night cd and the Farewell dvd. But based on the number of flawed discs I've come across, this is a more widespread problem across the whole set.

As a result, I've returned all 3 sets. I'm no perfectionist, and if it had only been one problematic disc I could have recommended these albums, but with the mounting list of problems, I would urge fans not to buy this set for the time being. Hence the one star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great band! Catching up with many 'missing' albums with this multi-CD collection, 9 May 2013
JohnW "JohnW" (Nr Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
Great way to catch up with some of the missing albums from my collection, even if a few are then duplicated.
Good price for 5 albums in the pack.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Up To The Standard of Sector 1, 30 Jun 2012
Mr. R. Powell (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
If you've read my review of Sector 1 you'll know that the albums in the first two boxsets are the Rush era I love the most. You've always got to be wary of investing money in remasters of albums you already own and I was impressed with the remastering on Sector 1 plus there was the DVD-A of Fly By Night. So just a slight word of warning here. Try hard as I might I have been unable to hear any discernable difference between the Permanent Waves on this set and the previous '97 remaster and the difference between Moving Pictures and the '97 remaster is pretty slight.

So, why the four stars? Well, as with Sector 1 the remastering on the other three albums is far more obvious, with the drums and bass faring particulary well. Exit..Stage Left has the most impressive improvement, it was always an album that sounded far too muggy, but everything here seems to get an extra kick. But the best part of the whole package is the 5.1 treatment of A Farewell To Kings. This has always been my favourite Rush album and to be able to sit there listening to the looney magnificance of Xanadu coming at you from all angles is just heaven on a disc.

The same comments about the packaging from Sector 1 apply here.

So, would I recommend this one? Yes, but just be wary about the Permanent Waves disc, which is a pity really because, unlike most, I always preferred this album to Moving Pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rush's "Hidden" Albums Now Available in "Sector" Boxes, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
What you might call "Hidden" albums can be found in all three Sector box sets AND in the "Moving Pictures" DVD-Audio disc. If you have a portable DVD-Audio player or have the ability to hear the "Surround" versions of the music only decoded in "Stereo" through your system you will discover fun and interesting versions of some of our favourite Rush albums. The Sector box sets are worth the price for these versions alone. Particularly interesting are: "By-Tor & The Snow Dog", "Xanadu", "Cygnus X-1" and "YYZ". Most fascinating of all are the versions of "Witch Hunt" (minus the crowd), "The Camera Eye" (incredibly clear dialogue!) and especially "Countdown", with ALL the NASA dialogue removed. The latter can be a strange and disconcerting experience but is unforgettable. If you are a musician or are just fascinated with hearing all the notes played or each drumskin hit and roll you won't be disappointed. Geddy's bass and Neil's drums are showcased distinctively in these versions. A welcome and invaluable addition to the best work in the RUSH catalogue. I can only hope that when the rest of these Mercury albums are soon released as high resolution downloads they will also be released as physical DVD-Audio discs as well. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sector 2 (Audio CD)
One word Great no more to say a great blast from the past. a must have for any rush fan
Ian

Sector 2
Sector 2 by Rush (Audio CD - 2011)