4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this!
Published on 10 Mar 2012 by PaulB

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working on Windows 7
I did not purchase this via Amazon. I bought this in a store. When first attaching it to my PC (Windows 7) it worked fine. I disconnected it for a few months and upon re-connecting it, the Touch function works fine, but Pen does not. Wacom support send instructions as to un-installing and re-installing which did not resolve the problem. I attached it to a newly bought...
Published 21 months ago by bvdzwaag

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this!, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: Wacom CTH-470K-DE Bamboo Pen and Touch (Personal Computers)
I bought this having been using Wacom tablets in place of a mouse for at least four or five years, for home and work, so I'm well used to using tablets. I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this particular model. Firstly, did Wacom sack their ergonomics designer? The pen is clunky and uncomfortable to hold compared to that used with the MTE-450A. It's a bulky straight rod with a cone at the pointy end(!), and the change of angle between the rod and the cone is right where I rest my index finger - what happened to the smoothly curved, slim style of pen? I'm actually finding this pen is uncomfortable to hold for long periods, which is simply a problem I didn't have before. The switch is almost flush with the body at the lower end and my thumb sometimes has trouble finding it - maybe I'll get used to it. Another ergonomic issue is that the gubbins on the left side of the tablet (assuming right-handed use) place the active area much further away from the keyboard than I'm used to so when switching between tablet and keyboard my right arm is having to move much further. Whilst on the bad, I didn't know that USB cables were made that short! My PC is under my desk directly below the tablet, yet I needed an extension lead as the one supplied didn't reach and it uses a non-standard connector at the tablet end. It would help if the cable came out of the top instead of the side where it has to thread it's way under the keyboard before dropping down the back of the desk.

The good. The active area is actually much smaller than you'd think by looking at it - as a mouse replacement this is fine but for heavy graphics use you might be better splashing out on something with a bigger active area. The two-fingered scroll is great - you can gently scroll down the screen whilst reading, or flick your fingers to scroll much faster but then stop dead where you want. The two-fingered zoom is great but I can't get the hang of the rotate feature (nor can I really see the need to so I've turned it off!). I did have to turn off the "Tap to right click" options because I kept getting unwanted menus popping up. The three-fingered swipe left/right is great for browsing through a folder full of photos, for instance.

Photoshop - I've seen loads of people complain that the pressure sensitivity doesn't work. Yes it does if you enable Shape Dynamics within Photoshop! You need to fiddle with the settings to get the best from this feature, but it does work. I'm not really a serious graphics user though so can't comment too much on that aspect.

So - would I recommend it? Not sure! I was looking for something with alternative inputs so I don't need to clutch a pen or a mouse all the time. In that respect it's fine - if my hand gets cramped holding that clunky pen I can switch to touch (or use a mouse with my left hand) but at the moment the accuracy of touch isn't that great - that will improve though with time. Now that I've turned off some of the touch options it's much easier to control without something unexpected happening. But please, Wacom, change the pen so that it's pen shaped like it used to be!

Oh - has anyone mentioned the dayglo yellow underside?

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouse? Who needs a mouse!, 9 Dec 2011
Well, what can I say?! This is my first graphics tablet.. I opened the package and plugged it into my PC (not installed it on my MAC yet), windows 7 picked it up straight away. I use GIMP for my graphics needs and this picked it up straight away too. I was origionaly worried having read the GIMP forums regarding GIMPs compatability with Bamboo.... glad to say I have no issues at all.

Overall, I'm really chuffed with this... can't beleive I've struggled doing my graphics needs with a mouse for so long!!

Using the Bamboo for touch using normal, Windows functionality is just perfect, it works like the MACs magic trackpad! Looks sorrowfully towards my G5 mouse..... I'll need to check Amazon for a mouse dust jacket... :)

Seriously thought, I can't be more chuffed with this product! Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finaly got one for my Macbook Pro, 26 Dec 2011
Got this for Christmas so I'm still in the early stages of using it but I thought for those who are considering buying it for a Mac I'd express what I think of it so far...

Installing and setting it up was easy and there were no issues at all. It comes with a basic tutorial (and games) and is easy to pick up - however BE WARNED anyone who didn't learn to write the traditional way at school (I didn't) as the pen is designed tailored to the standard way of writing - so it sort of takes you back to school - that said I think I've found a grip that works for me!

I read the other review and someone wrote about it being similar to the mac track pad - very true but sort of annoying if your used to a mac and lazy because you just turn back to the track pad!

Also if you have more to splurge I'd get a bigger size. The size is fine but I think a larger one would feel more comfortable. But this will certainly do for my studies.

Haven't got heavily into using it for design work but starting out I think its a worthy small investment in comparison to the other more expensive options. I've been forcing myself to use it instead of my track pad and I'm making my way around very efficiently - one thing I would say is just be prepared to practice it. If your a lazy and none-move-into-the-future type - you mightn't get along with it.

Otherwise very cool new piece of kit. You get what you pay for (it being the lower end of the tablet market). Brands label slightly annoying but not inconvenient. Also consider buying a case for it as it doesn't come with one and a dust cover if there are any.

Otherwise: Mac safe and I'm very happy. Only 4 stars because I'm starting out - shall return later!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level, 3 Aug 2012
S. PERRINS "SteveP" (UK) - See all my reviews
The mouse is too awkward to use for photo editing but this graphic tablet makes life much easier. Okay there are big better graphic tablets around but for the amount of work I intend to do this is great. I went for this brand because of the write ups and they seem to be the lead brand.
I've been using this tablet in Elements 10 and there was nothing complicated in setting it up although there are some hints online if you find problems. The pen sits well in the hand (where else!)but it can take a bit to get use to. The Wacom tutorials are one area that I found wanting, I found far more out by searching YouTube. If you don't get the hang of things
keep trying and soon you will.
The touch pad I'm finding a little more difficult and I'm yet to rotate an image using touch. Enlarging and reducing an image through Touch whilst editing photos is useful but as yet I'm still finding it better to scroll with the mouse. More practice maybe?
The size of board is not an issue and right for Photoshop Elements and it's not too big a 'foot print' for the desk.
Is this a replacement for the mouse? No I'll still keep that alongside the tablet. It is worth the money? I think so and if I get better and need a better tablet, I'll still go for a Wacom and you might find this one on ebay?

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 31 Jan 2012
Except it doesn't come in a tin of course!

My old Wacom Intuos 2, never entirely happy with Mac OS X Lion, finally packed up over Christmas. Would have liked an Intuos 4, didn't have £300 to spare.

So: Bamboo Pen & Touch Gen3 2011 edition.

Pros:

It works fine on Mac OS Lion.
Have used it successfully for a variety of painting and sculpting tasks in Photoshop and Zbrush
No problems with general internet surfing or word processing or simply navigating around the computer.
No real need for a mouse any more, thus no more RSI type aches and pains if you use your computer for long stretches at a time as I do.
Takes up less desktop space

Cons:

Smaller active area than I am used to - needed to adjust hand co-ordination but this soon becomes second nature.
Touch functions okay but not as responsive as Mac Trackpad. No problems using both though.
When dragging Photoshop CS5 windows there is an occasional tendency for it to carry on expanding after you've raised the pen off the tablet.

Conclusion:

Tablet could be a little more sensitive but it's probably as good as my old Intuos 2.
Is it worth paying another £200 to get the Intuos 4? yes, it probably is, if you've got deep pockets. However, it currently fills the gap for me as a serious amateur digital artist. You might say, as a comparison that this is the Photoshop Elements version as opposed to the full blown edition.

I don't know about anybody else but I don't hold with pronouncing Wacom as "Wokkum" (as they do in the corporate video feeds) It should be Wacom to rhyme with bacon!

5.0 out of 5 stars An introduction to using a Sketchpad, 15 July 2012
B. Frost "FairTime" (Ely, England) - See all my reviews
I've spent getting on for an hour playing around on one of the programmes working out how to draw. It was only after that I stumbled across the correct way to get the tutorial working & only then after it had loaded down an update from the internet. I then got on with the very basic introductory learning, how to use your fingers on the pad to make it work like a mouse. Its a very good system in that it tells you what to do & then you have to do it. If you have problems it then repeats the instructions & asks you to do it again. The slightly nagging female American voice can be a bit tiresome but it spurs you on to try not to make mistakes.
There are several easy sketch programmes, numerous games, a simple animation package.
Over all I am very happy with it. Not being an artist there is probably more than enough in the software included for the simple sketches etc for what I am likely to use it for. The connecting lead is on the short side if you want to plug it directly into your computer but I use an extension lead with a multi adapter so find thats not a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 25 May 2012
Przemek (St Albans, Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I work with CS6 at the moment, and this pen & tablet are perfect. Once you thought W7 your handwriting, you don't need to use a keyboard.

The tablet is made of solid plastic in black colour. It may not look beautiful on your desk, but definitely will impress the client. It takes a while to learn all the short cuts and managing the pen, but it's a matter of a week max.

I'm very happy with this buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Also, very pretty., 27 Feb 2012
It's pretty fantastic, all right. I love the touch feature. When it's being used for drawing, it's fantastic, but it's when something needs to be looked at in a different window. You don't need to reach for the mouse, or touchpad, just use the tablet. I loved that, like the icing on the cake.
Beyond that, it's lovely! It's not big, but it doesn't need to be. Feels like paper also, kind of. It's a nice thing to have. Both for usage, and to look at. I love it. It's just so damn nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ITEM, 6 Feb 2012
MY DAUGHTER LOVES THIS BAMBOO. SHE PLAYS GAMES AND CREATES BEAUTIFUL ART WITH IT. EASY TO USE AND SET UP TOO.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 26 April 2013
very good, just helps a lot on my work as a photographer. im very happy with that.thank you all ;)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›