5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and effective little radio

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of pure guarantee
Published on 30 July 2012 by J

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and effective little radio, 18 Dec. 2011
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure ONE Mini Series II Compact Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black (Electronics)
I bought this to replace my Series 1 Pure Mini Compact Radio which died on me after 3 years of usage. (It lost the capacity to broadcast digital programmes though the FM service still works.) Apart from that fatal flaw I had been well pleased with Mini Compact Radio which I use as the kitchen radio. It took me about 5 minutes to fit the battery and set my 8 preset digital stations and 2 preset FM stations. All very simple. Reception of the digital stations is crystal clear and it is great to be back on line again.

The Series II is similar in most ways to Series I, but there are a few differences. It is slightly smaller, even more compact, but still chunky enough to be stable. My Series I was white and I bought white again. The Series II has a satin finish rather than the gloss finish of Series I.

Switching between preset stations is still a bit cumbersome, following the same routine as with Series I. It requires you to press the 'preset' button on the top of the radio; then turn that large silver-coloured button on the side of the radio until the number of your preset station comes up; and then press the same silver button to select it. The buttons on the top of the radio which control its functions are a bit more prominent and robust than the Series I. When will digital radios move into the age of the remote control?

Remember if you want this radio to be mobile you will have to buy at battery for about £15. Otherwise plug it into the mains and you don't need a battery. Fortunately the battery I bought for the Series I radio fits this one.

I am well pleased with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of pure guarantee, 30 July 2012
After just under 3 months of use this radio died on us. Could not switch off or change station. As registered with pure contacted them where they asked for us to send back the radio and charge pack (they said they would send a replacement for both). This cost over £8.00 to return and when replacement arrived the radio looked dirty with finger marks all over, no replacement charge pack was in packaging. Contacted pure who said they would send a replacement charge pack but when I queired the state the replacement radio arrived in I was told it was a refurbished radio (not a new replacement). Apparently after 2 months of purchase if the radio goes wrong you only receive a refurbished product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding compact radio, 5 Jan. 2012
Great little radio with a really good sound. Dd not realise though that a separate battery pack needs to be bought if you want to use it away from a power point. Quite tricky to attach and a further £20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, 16 Feb. 2012
The Pure One Mini II may be small but its sound will fill a large room. Not just that, the sound quality is very good too. You can attach an MP3 player to listen to recorded music without headphone as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 9 Jun. 2013
Software crashes frequently leaving the radio locked. Only solution is to remove batteries and reset losing all stored programmes. Called Pure but they were unhelpful. I would be reluctant to buy another Pure product after this experience

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound for its size, 28 Sept. 2013
Shame you have to pay extra for the battery pack, seems pointless having such a small portable radio if you don't have a battery for it. However once purchased the battery is excellent. I was amazed at the quality of the sound from such a small radio, shame it does not come with an alarm feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Radio, 27 April 2012
M. Lambe (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Love it. Great battery life, great sound, can go loud, brilliant for camping. Bought rechargeable battery and lasts a good few weeks per charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, 22 Sept. 2012
Great value radio, with a great sound given the size of the radio. Given as a present, and it is constatntly in use

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, 14 Jan. 2012
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Got this DAB radio for my Dad to use in his kitchen and it is fantastic.

Simple to set-up, basically plug and play and also sounds great for such a tiny little thing, I'm impressed!!

The radio is easy to use and uncluttered, comes with a separate power supply and simple instructions.

You can buy a battery from Pure to make this radio truly portable, but they are not cheapPURE ChargePAK B1 Rechargeable Battery Pack for PURE ONE Mini Radio

Decent quality finish, excellent quality sound, ideal for kitchen, study, bathroom(when used on battery)

If your new to DAB and want to DABble then this is little gem a good starting point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic With The ChargePAK, 4 Jan. 2013
Bought this for my bathroom to replace a broken AM/FM radio and I'm delighted with it.

The sound quality is very good, particularly for the speech radio that I mostly listen to. It is also surprisingly loud for the unit's size with no distortion at high volume. Notwithstanding critics of DAB audio quality, DAB sounds far better than the equivalent AM stations particularly at night. In my area I don't even need to extend the aerial to get perfect DAB reception.

The ChargePAK sold separately lasts about a month for our usage which is ideal. I agree with those suggesting that the product description should make it clearer that the price doesn't include the battery.

My only criticism is that the physical design makes it difficult to change stations single handed. To change a station you need to push the tuning knob on the right. If you don't support the radio whilst doing so it slides along the surface or topples over. Apart from this the unit seems very well made and should last for years.