5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and effective little radio

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of pure guarantee
Published 20 months ago by J

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and effective little radio, 18 Dec 2011
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pure ONE Mini Series II Compact Portable DAB/FM Radio - Black (Electronics)
I bought this to replace my Series 1 Pure Mini Compact Radio which died on me after 3 years of usage. (It lost the capacity to broadcast digital programmes though the FM service still works.) Apart from that fatal flaw I had been well pleased with Mini Compact Radio which I use as the kitchen radio. It took me about 5 minutes to fit the battery and set my 8 preset digital stations and 2 preset FM stations. All very simple. Reception of the digital stations is crystal clear and it is great to be back on line again.

The Series II is similar in most ways to Series I, but there are a few differences. It is slightly smaller, even more compact, but still chunky enough to be stable. My Series I was white and I bought white again. The Series II has a satin finish rather than the gloss finish of Series I.

Switching between preset stations is still a bit cumbersome, following the same routine as with Series I. It requires you to press the 'preset' button on the top of the radio; then turn that large silver-coloured button on the side of the radio until the number of your preset station comes up; and then press the same silver button to select it. The buttons on the top of the radio which control its functions are a bit more prominent and robust than the Series I. When will digital radios move into the age of the remote control?

Remember if you want this radio to be mobile you will have to buy at battery for about 15. Otherwise plug it into the mains and you don't need a battery. Fortunately the battery I bought for the Series I radio fits this one.

I am well pleased with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of pure guarantee, 30 July 2012
After just under 3 months of use this radio died on us. Could not switch off or change station. As registered with pure contacted them where they asked for us to send back the radio and charge pack (they said they would send a replacement for both). This cost over 8.00 to return and when replacement arrived the radio looked dirty with finger marks all over, no replacement charge pack was in packaging. Contacted pure who said they would send a replacement charge pack but when I queired the state the replacement radio arrived in I was told it was a refurbished radio (not a new replacement). Apparently after 2 months of purchase if the radio goes wrong you only receive a refurbished product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding compact radio, 5 Jan 2012
Great little radio with a really good sound. Dd not realise though that a separate battery pack needs to be bought if you want to use it away from a power point. Quite tricky to attach and a further 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Radio, 27 April 2012
M. Lambe (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Love it. Great battery life, great sound, can go loud, brilliant for camping. Bought rechargeable battery and lasts a good few weeks per charge.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 9 Jun 2013
Software crashes frequently leaving the radio locked. Only solution is to remove batteries and reset losing all stored programmes. Called Pure but they were unhelpful. I would be reluctant to buy another Pure product after this experience

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio, 16 Feb 2012
The Pure One Mini II may be small but its sound will fill a large room. Not just that, the sound quality is very good too. You can attach an MP3 player to listen to recorded music without headphone as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice radio, 10 Jan 2012
When I looked at this in J Lewis it took me a few minutes to work out how to select a station (turn the circular dial on the right and then gently press it in to which ever the channel being played - which can also be read on the LCD? display).
I bought the radio on line (as J Lewis had only the display unit for sale) together with the optional battery - which is quite expensive but necessary if you want a portable radio, otherwise it has to be left plugged in.
It's a lovely radio and gives good sound (but it's not a ghetto blaster so don't expect to hear it clearly through a closed door in a carpeted house).

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Sep 2012
I bought this on the strength of the reviews here and the design. However, the reception is very poor, indistinct and tinny. I was really disappointed as it looks fantastic and is just the right size for a kitchen. I will be returning it to John Lewis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound for its size, 28 Sep 2013
Shame you have to pay extra for the battery pack, seems pointless having such a small portable radio if you don't have a battery for it. However once purchased the battery is excellent. I was amazed at the quality of the sound from such a small radio, shame it does not come with an alarm feature.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a cheat, 17 Sep 2013
Be warned - it's another 25 on top for the battery - utter cheek.

Foolish me expecting there to be one included. Their excuse is that not having a battery is more "eco friendly" what utter rubbish. It's just another way of ripping us off.

ARRAY(0xa0bd16c0)