Colour Name: black|Style Name: Radio Only|Change

on 27 December 2011
This radio is brilliant. Takes longer to start up than original model but the sound quality is supreme. For the size it has a lovely base and depth of sound. The listen later only records 40 minutes but is useful if you need to pop out.

Only down side is that radio was not supplied with charger. Not sure if this is because of the price but I'm just using standard batteries. I'm going to try and pick up a charger elsewhere as seller has been extremely unhelpful regarding the issue and it is just not worth the fuss of sending it back.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2014
faulty straight out the box push button does not change stations or operate any other function, had a pure evoke clock/dab radio a couple of years ago that lasted about a year before it gave up,thought I'd give the brand another chance after reading some of the other reviews, wish I hadn't, over priced I paid £49 last week now its gone up to £66 flimsy, small display, sound not that brilliant, would have expected more for the price, stick to Roberts.
on 31 December 2014
Unfortunately I cannot rate a product that does not work even though it is well finished and looks good. Connecting to internet was easy but then the problem started....it advised firmware needed updating to latest version (3.5). I did that. Now every time I change radio channel or switch the thing on or off or change from internet radio to say FM it insists I update to 3.5 again and will not let you do anything else. there are also some inconsistencies between the manual and the radio functionality which do not inspire confidence. I have reported by email to PURE and await their assistance.........if it cannot be resolved I will be returning the product for refund.
on 14 October 2013
I was tempted to buy this by a discount being offered. It looks great and the cabinet has a nice texture.
The big problem for me was the performance of the internet mode. It was unreliable and patchy even when I was close to my modem.
The other issue was the simple controls. The problem is that the three buttons have too many functions to perform and operating them becomes too complicated.
I still want mobile internet radio but I am going to buy a low price, Tesco perhaps, tablet.
on 3 September 2013
This DAB radio is superb. The radio stations you are able to get are incredible.Wish i had bought one years ago.Anyone who likes & enjoys good quality radio should splash out & buy one .
on 9 April 2015
This is an excellent DAB radio on all counts bar one. IT EATS BATTERIES. I used mine in the bathroom (hence no mains option) and although the radio was on for less than 30 minutes per day the batteries (6 x Duracell Ultra 1.5v LR14 Duralock...the best there is at £2.50 each) lasted just 10 weeks. That's 7x0.5x10 hours which is 35 hours of use. This means that over a year I would spend £15 every ten weeks on batteries which is just over £75 per year! Preposterous! Only buy this if you intend to run it off the mains by buying the (not cheap) adapter. If that suits you this is an excellent radio. If not, don't go anywhere near it. I've moved mine to a room with mains and put a trusty non DAB in the bathroom. I am happy to live with the poorer sound and spend £75 on something considerably more rewarding than batteries.
on 28 May 2013
I'm 73 and have listened to the radio since being about 4years old. Although, like most I have access to multi-channeI tv, I currently regularly listen to news, comedy and popular music from pop to jazz on the radio. There's no doubt about it, this little wizard conjures up the goods like no other digital radio in my experience.
on 21 August 2013
Unlike most of my stuff, I didn't buy this from Amazon - there was a very good price to be had locally (very unusual).

I confess to being disappointed. Partly, I engaged in poor research because I wanted this to replace a bed side radio; however, the fact is that the functionality of the radio is so poor that using it as a bed side radio is pretty nigh on impracticable.

I found the sound quality adequate but not at all exceptional. This is my third DAB radio - the first bought when they were in their comparative infancy - and, whilst they are all good, this Pure radio is not great like the others. My Roberts Unologic, which lives in my motorhome, is much, much better. The other, the oldest one, is a Ferguson and the Pure was bought to replace this with the idea that the Ferguson would be relegated to the spare room.

Sadly, the Pure is now in the spare room. Apart from the difference in quality (the Pure is a rounder but hollow sound and a significant tone lower making programmes broadcasting speech hard to hear clearly - especially softer lower voices like Evan Davis for example) the biggest issue I have is the controls and display.

The backlit display can be made to stay on whilst the radio is on, but it is rather bright for a darkened room. On the other hand there is no backlight option when the radio is off making it impossible to see the time when it is dark (or even when it is light unless you get your eyes within a few inches of the display). What is needed, as found on my old Ferguson, is a permanent but soft backlight.

Then there is the question of the controls. These are all on the front of the radio. In turn the radio is very light (as you would expect). It is more or less impossible to press the buttons on the radio without having to hold the radio with one's other hand (or by picking it up but that's tricky if you are plugged into the mains). This makes it extremely difficult to use as a bedside radio. Not only this, but carrying out functions like setting the alarm, setting presets and even using the presets is cumbersome to say the least.

What is needed for presets is a line of buttons which one assigns to each preset station. My Ferguson had these and even though there were only five, five presets set in this way is much preferable to many more set in the cumbersome method used by the Pure. I set Radio Four as preset one and Radio Five Live as preset two, for example. Mostly I listen to Radio Four but to change to Radio Five one has to hit the Preset button, turn the large button in the centre to preset two and then press this button in. You try doing that, within the five or so seconds given, whilst leaning with one arm out of bed. I assure you it isn't easy. Setting the alarm on the Pure is a long-winded, painful process, again needing two hands. The old Fergy beats the Pure hands down on this point.

The large central button also doubles as the volume as well as for all the functions. This is a pain and what is needed is a separate volume button - such as on the Roberts for example.

What really frustrates me is why the majority of DAB radios have their controls on the front. It is much easier to use the controls on a small radio if they are on the top. This is so blindingly obvious that I have often wondered if there is some technical reason which renders this impossible on DAB radios, or at least very difficult, and that this is why one usually finds them on the front. If this is true, then I naturally have to concede to this but otherwise I would like to get my hands on the designers who think the front is the best place for them.

It is true that my Roberts suffers with similar weakness of functionality - with buttons on the front - but at least it has a separate volume and using the presets is easier. However, because of how I make use of the Roberts any weakness is not apparent.

I accept some responsibility for expecting this to be useful as a bed side radio. It isn't and if that's what you want DO NOT BUY THIS. If it's a kitchen radio or similar then it's adequate, but absolutely not the best by a long chalk.
on 4 March 2013
Very disappointed with this radio and had to return it. The sound was muffled and not clear enough. A bad buy.
on 6 January 2015
It depends where you are intending to use it. It has software that is set up to work in the U.K. and although I got it to work in Hong Kong, it was almost impossible to get to work in Bangkok.

I didn't find setting it up anything like as easy as my large and not very portable Roberts. The online & printed information is awful.

Do your homework first ! The warning that it is designed to work in the U.K. is made in the product description and is true. You will need a proprietary battery unless you will always use it on a cable - a very important point and an extra cost.

If you can, buy Pure radios only in the country of intended use.