4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch
For many years I was a Polar user but I recently switched to Garmin as the heart rate monitor strap works with my Etrex 30 hillwalking GPS too. I bought this watch as it seemed like a better deal to buy the strap as part of a bundle with a watch to use in the gym.

Published 12 months ago by T. Kerby

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful
I thought I was buying the best however after 2 frustrated hours of trying to understand the almost impossibly difficult set up procedure, I took a break if only to stop myself from throwing this out of a window in my frustration!

Published 11 months ago by Mrs. Jillian Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, 3 Aug 2013
T. Kerby (Scotland) - See all my reviews

The watch works exceptionally well with both a heartrate strap and the optional footpod for distance, speed and cadence tracking. It effortlessly stores data and connects with Garmin's online dashboard through the included Ant+ USB stick. This works happily on my Mac which is a big plus. It's incredibly customisable for different displays and intuitive to use.

There are only three negative points I can think of. In the gym I have a profile without the footpod and this takes me a lot of button presses to change between them. The more expensive watches are quicker as a 'feature'. I've found a flat battery without warning and it reset the dates on the stored workouts (although kept the data). The Garmin way is each workout is saved by 'resetting' the workout. This is unintuitive as it sounds similar to deleting. Don't worry - it will be stored!

Despite the few niggles above this is an excellent product and beats Polar hands down for ease of use and the dashboard online. It wont connect to gym equipment unless it supports Ant+ (so Polar wins in that regard) nor does it work whilst swimming but the improved range (Ant+ is radio whereas Polar use a magnetic coupling) is really handy if you want to take the watch off and leave it by your bag for weight lifting. It'll work right across the gym!

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful, 22 Aug 2013
Mrs. Jillian Young "DroneUK" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin FR70 for Women - Pink (Electronics)

During round 2 it quickly became apparent that my device was not going to recognise the Ant+ accessories that I purchased and indeed at each attempt the whole unit just froze up and had to be reset repeatedly. After having to input my personal data three times and still getting nowhere at all I decided life was too short and returned the bloody thing.

Also for those who go for this and get a unit which actually works, please bear in mind that the buttons are so tiny, stiff and generally badly designed that you can spend what seems like an eternity trying to press them to get a response. Now I did not get as far as training with this but I imagine it would be close to impossible to quickly scroll through display screens during a training session.

Shame about this Garmin as it is a good looking watch, one of the more feminine ones I have seen and it looked good on....but it didn't work. Either that or it was so complicated I didn't get it. I can't imagine this is the case though as I'm not at all daft.

I have replaced this purchase with a much more user friendly Polar FT60 model. Okay it isn't as good looking but it pretty much programmed itself and is an absolute pleasure to use, simple whilst being comprehensively functional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good successor, 28 Sep 2013
I recently purchased this FR70 to replace my old FR60, which after serving me well through some truly tough training and gruelling walks,died an honourable death!! It is early days yet, but the signs are good. Controls are the same as the FR60, so there was no problem setting it up. The buttons are now covered, which does make them a little bit harder to operate, but which will also help with waterproofing. The watch strap is softer and more comfortable. It paired with my existing footpod just fine. I'm using my original heart rate strap (only because I had just replaced the battery, and I am tight!!), which again paired with no problem. My only gripe is the Ant+ stick. The old one was like a usb flash stick, easy to hold and plug into a usb port. The new one is like the micro receiver you'd get with something like a cordless mouse. It is a little on the small size for someone with big fingers like mine, and also, the contacts are not totally enclosed.Unless you intend to leave it plugged into your computer permanently,a suitably small container is recommended to protect it. It does seem like a cost cutting exercise on Garmins part. All in all, a worthy successor to the FR60, Ant+ stick aside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 23 Feb 2014
Great training watch that I use on all my runs with a footpod. Wanted to know how far I was running not just for how long to improve. Great piece of kit, I'm really pleased with it. Easy to use, clear and easy to read. This is my second one, when the battery needed changing on my first watch I read the instructions several times to make sure it was something I could do without compromising the watch and the instructions stated it would be fine. Unfortunately the seal didn't hold up to the battery change and the watch leaked when I went swimming. I now no longer use the watch during swim training. So be aware!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and reliable budget monitoring, 22 Oct 2013
P. Dalgleish "PhilD" (scotland) - See all my reviews
I use it for general heart rate monitoring for spinning and is set up for cadence, speed and distance on my bikes. Easy to set up, easy to switch between 'General' and 'Bike' profiles. You can set up high and low rate for various things which is useful for proper training. Watch stores multiple events and you can scroll easily through them on the watch and upload to Garmin Connect. The Garmin Connect web based resource is a bit clunky but you can do comparative stuff if you want. You can go through hoops and export, convert and merge with the likes of Endomondo but you have to ask yourself; what information do you actually need? Stats or stats and a route and altitude changes? If you needed all singing and dancing you will have to spend more money on a combo watch. As mentioned on other forum, you will have more chance winning the lottery than getting your Garmin and a GPS (phone/Computer) to show exactly the same distance/speed.
I wear the Garmin as my everyday watch and, being 52, the large numbers make it easy to read!! ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars new watch, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Garmin FR70 for Women - Pink (Electronics)
Really enjoying my new watch ,plenty of help on line to set it up .Also had to have help of a young person but thats just me .Nice to know how many calories Combat class is and others.Wont use it for running cos ive got nike plus wrist band .I couldnt get strap to work but it just needed to be tighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - and I'm a woman! (crazy, I know!!), 20 Dec 2013
I. Laliberte (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Well I thought I would take a wild chance and bought the heart rate monitor "for men" even though I am a woman! (yes, Shock! Awe!) I realise that men's hearts must be quite different to women's, but amazingly, this little gizmo is still able to pick up my heartbeat! I am impressed it can do so, as surely women's hearts must be quite feeble compared to men's; this is surely the reason why there is a different monitor labelled "for women". Perhaps their activity lists don't include 'bike' or 'run', but 'knitting' and 'shopping?'...

Sigh. Garmin, get with the times! Lose the 'pink it or shrink it' attitude, I HATE PINK!!! Anyway, despite all this, I am giving a 5 star as the actual HRM is great. I do love it, and particularly that it pairs with the bike speed/cadence sensor and the running footpod, and I like to be able to download the data. Very impressed with all of them. Quite an improvement over my last HRM which was 8 years old - but then again, it should be unsurprising that I could have a HRM last this long, I am only a woman after all, and surely I don't ever sweat?...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, 23 April 2014
Its ok not what i expected,disapointed after spending a lot of money that i have to buy a foot pod to measure what distance i have run.
Wouldnt recommend it to anyone who wants to buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works better with a foot pod, but this is not clear when purchasing, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Garmin FR70 for Women - Pink (Electronics)
I bought this as a surprise for my wife who is an improving runner. She records her mileage and likes to know how far she has covered and to keep a track on her pace. Regrettably this model, unlike other similarly priced Garmin products, does not have this function. I was disappointed that the surprise was runied and the watch will not meet her needs until she has a foot pod. Had I been aware of this at the time I would have probably purchased boith together, but the foot pod will have to be on hold now until the January bills are paid. OPverall the watch is functional, but, like with most things in life, you get what you pay for. The service was good and the watch arrived promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb watch, 20 Jun 2013
This is my first venture into the world of sports watches and heart monitors. Bought after a personal recommendation and have not been disappointed. This watch does hat it says on the tin, is hugely reliable, links in superbly well with the heart monitor and other Ant+ devices ( check first exactly which ones ) and is easy to use after a little practice. Would recommend and delighted with it.

Garmin FR70 for Women - Pink